Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought Id EVER consider a 6.0.... but here I am.....

So lets beat this dead horse some more.

Just how bulletproof is a "bulletproofed" 6.0 PSD?

From a local add:

Fully "Bullet proofed" ,Head studs, Ford Reman Heads, Bullet proofed heavy duty oil cooler, Bullet Proof Egr valve, all Ford factory 6.0 updates completed all done in a professional shop receipts available.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Depends on the cost of the truck. I personally wouldn't buy one due to issues I've had personal experience with, but if the cost was cheap to free I might. You also need to know how many miles were on the truck prior to the bulletproofing. We've all seen the 6.0 genius and the issues he had....

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
Why would you spend all that money to "bullet proof" the truck, only to sell it. Wouldnt you want to keep it?

The only way to own one is cheap to free.

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Have a buddy who.was selling an 05 f350. About 85k on the clock. Beautiful truck.

He ended up having an EGR issue and had it "bullet proofed." EGR, oil cooler... But stock head bolts.

IMO, if the heads aren't pulled and studs installed by a reputable shop, EGR, cooler, etc are bandaids.

Note. Never owned a 6.0. But I admit a soft spot for 05-07 excursions....

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I have wondered this myself. At the end of the day, I'd rather minimize my chances of getting stranded and stuck with some 5 digit repair bill on a truck that requires the cab to be removed for major service.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
A bulletproofed 6.0 is about as reliable as a poorly maintained 400k 7.3. If you are lucky. I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
If you've got ARP studs with factory head gaskets, new OEM heads, either EGR delete or bulletproofed EGR cooler and good coolant in it, you're good to go.

Depending on the price and who did the work, I'd jump on it.

Don't listen to the haters. The 6.0 can be a very reliable motor if the defects are corrected (bulletproofing).

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
My 05 f550 made it to 205k before it bit the dust. Got it tore down and needed 2 new heads. injectors, just updates in general odds and ends and has cost me 13k in upgrades. the truck isn't worth much more than before the issues. Cross my fingers it'll be good for 100+k. Other wise it might catch fire and burn up.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
I would not trust someone elses version of bullet proofed. To most that means they egr deleted it and maybe upgraded some of the oil lines etc.

If you do it / have it done they can be good. But it takes some decent coin to do right, and time. And even then I would not juice the hell out of it.

I have considered picking one up, because they go stupid cheap. But I have too many other projects going on.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
I have considered picking one up, because they go stupid cheap....
Which means after putting the time and effort into it, you'll get shit money for it when you go to sell it.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
Which means after putting the time and effort into it, you'll get shit money for it when you go to sell it.
Wouldn't buy it to sell it, would buy it to use it. When you price the truck and parts, doing the labor yourself its not to bad for what you get.

I have a 7.3 cc lb drw so no need, but in theory for what my truck would bring, I could buy a newer nicer 6.0 truck, build it 'solid' and still have cash in pocket... in theory

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
If someone else can provide you the receipts of Head studs, EGR delete/cooler mod, I'd have no issue buying the truck for the right price.
What I would not do personally is put that kinds of coin into a 6.0, but other people can.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I would not trust someone elses version of bullet proofed. To most that means they egr deleted it and maybe upgraded some of the oil lines etc.

If you do it / have it done they can be good. But it takes some decent coin to do right, and time. And even then I would not juice the hell out of it.

I have considered picking one up, because they go stupid cheap. But I have too many other projects going on.
X2. However, studs are the most important part and you can check to see if those are there by opening the hood. If studs are there, there's a receipt for OEM headgaskets, and an EGR delete has been done, then chances are it's good to go.

Wouldn't buy it to sell it, would buy it to use it. When you price the truck and parts, doing the labor yourself its not to bad for what you get.
This is the key. Buy it to use it. Right now the 6.0 is the cheapest way to get yourself into a reliable superduty.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts