Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this sitting around for a couple years and not sure what, or if ,i really want to do anything with it. 400M, c6, np205, D60's F&R 3:54's snowfighter package, I believe it has the camper package because it had the box in the side of the bed. Was a factory AC truck..that's mostly missing.

I've already put a better bed and doors on it..have fenders to hang yet. I threw on on older set of 36" super swampers i had on wagon wheels..so 80's..lol. I have a sm435/np205 out of another truck..was thinking about swapping it in..IDK, it already needs a driveshaft so now's the time to do it.

I really like the truck but I'm not really feeling it..I'm in the middle of building up something else and this thing has just sitting here, getting worked on when i get sick of working on the other truck. What's something like this worth? I can always use more funds for my other projects..IDK I hate getting rid of shit. I have about $1000-$1500 to play with on it..let's hear some ideas, prefer bolt on/easy shit for this one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
EFI460/ZF5 and drive it?
Don't sell it to someone that will put the front 60 in a late model chev and scrap the rest.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I've seen similar for $2500 or so here, Idk how nice it is from one pic and a missing driveshaft isn't helping resale value. Axles are worth at least $1200 alone. There isn't much bolt on easy shit to do, there. It's got a pretty much bulletproof drive train the way it is and it's too big to bother spending a ton on suspension upgrades as it won't fit down a tight trail anyway. I'd keep it and drive it and tow with it but I love my super cabs so that's just me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen similar for $2500 or so here, Idk how nice it is from one pic and a missing driveshaft isn't helping resale value. Axles are worth at least $1200 alone. There isn't much bolt on easy shit to do, there. It's got a pretty much bulletproof drive train the way it is and it's too big to bother spending a ton on suspension upgrades as it won't fit down a tight trail anyway. I'd keep it and drive it and tow with it but I love my super cabs so that's just me.
I'm slowly going through it..new brakes,fluids, steering components,etc etc. I'm going to do the driveshaft., it's there but before i got it someone loaded it on a trailer with a fork truck..and bent it..I kinda straightened it to yard drive it. Body is real nice, it was Rusty Jonesed when it was new..kept almost all the rust at bay. I think I'm going to look for some 4" springs and matching shocks, throw on a dual exhaust, the intake and a 4bbl i got for it...and then decide if i want to keep it or what..

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
This would be a great tow rig project...as said 460efi ZF would be a pretty easy swap, but this would be sweet with a cummins too.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If you want a moderate lift, I'd consider a shackle flip out back and super duty front leafs (get the SD bolts too). You'll only have a couple hundred in it, and it will ride better too. Crossover steering woukd be my next step.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This would be a great tow rig project...as said 460efi ZF would be a pretty easy swap, but this would be sweet with a cummins too.
That was the original plan.. i had a '95 ram with a 12V/nv4500 i was going to swap over but decided to build the dodge instead. I thought about a body swap onto the dodge chassis, but the ford really is in too good of a condition to separate. I saved this thing from the crusher..it was literally 3 cars away from getting crushed..and I can't figure out why..some people:shaking: I realize it's not in great shape for 80% of the country..but it's a fucking gem up here in new england

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back from the dead. It's getting built, F the dodges, :flipoff2: It's getting tow rig treatment. I'll wheel it if I can find somewhere around here, been about 15 years since I've been and everything I knew is gated now. Mainly want to drag a camper around, fawk tents, I'm getting to old.

I'm stripping the dodge. Swapping the Cummins/5 spd/241hd out of the dodge. I picked up a he351cw, going to port the wastegate, got a 4K, 60 lb springs, other shit I can't remember, keeping it mild, probably keep the stock sticks. Tranny/tcase have ~3000mi on full rebuild, dual disk, big input, 5th gear nut locked. Powerstroke intercooler.

Dodge Srw 4.10LS D80/70 was just gone thru, going to run it unless I come across a dually axle. Keeping the front KP60.. duh..:shaking: need to regear and find $$$ for a locker. Already got some stock SD V codes for the front. I'm probably using the stock dodge rear springs, or SD rears. The Ford has some huge 7/1 bastard pack in it now with bolts welded to the u bolts to lengthen them. I'll figure it out once the front is done. I'm flipping all the u bolts while I'm in there.

I've got SD hydroboost, thinking of getting it ported, just incase I want to go hyd. assist in the future, I'm drilling my box while its out also.

I have a flatbed I need to lay on the frame, not sure if I want that or the box, I got a thing for flatbeds.

Plan is to have all this done and running by spring...:laughing:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Back from the dead. It's getting built, F the dodges, :flipoff2: It's getting tow rig treatment. I'll wheel it if I can find somewhere around here, been about 15 years since I've been and everything I knew is gated now. Mainly want to drag a camper around, fawk tents, I'm getting to old.

I'm stripping the dodge. Swapping the Cummins/5 spd/241hd out of the dodge. I picked up a he351cw, going to port the wastegate, got a 4K, 60 lb springs, other shit I can't remember, keeping it mild, probably keep the stock sticks. Tranny/tcase have ~3000mi on full rebuild, dual disk, big input, 5th gear nut locked. Powerstroke intercooler.

Dodge Srw 4.10LS D80/70 was just gone thru, going to run it unless I come across a dually axle. Keeping the front KP60.. duh..:shaking: need to regear and find $$$ for a locker. Already got some stock SD V codes for the front. I'm probably using the stock dodge rear springs, or SD rears. The Ford has some huge 7/1 bastard pack in it now with bolts welded to the u bolts to lengthen them. I'll figure it out once the front is done. I'm flipping all the u bolts while I'm in there.

I've got SD hydroboost, thinking of getting it ported, just incase I want to go hyd. assist in the future, I'm drilling my box while its out also.

I have a flatbed I need to lay on the frame, not sure if I want that or the box, I got a thing for flatbeds.

Plan is to have all this done and running by spring...:laughing:
I approve of this plan. :smokin:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
... but this would be sweet with a cummins too.
+1

I would sooner drive this truck with a 6BT/Dana80 swap than my CTD W250. I won't even consider a 2ndgen Dodge as far the truck itself goes....

EDIT: Look like OP is on track as of post #9 :laughing: I should read more closely :homer:

3.54 can still haul lots. I probably wouldn't go to 4.10 unless the camper became a permanent fixture.

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
3.54 can still haul lots. I probably wouldn't go to 4.10 unless the camper became a permanent fixture.
Yep. I'd keep the 3.54 with the diesel just because awesome cruising RPM. But... if the rear is already built with the 4.10s I'd be hesitant to change them, especially with overdrive.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damnit, :flipoff2: you guys, you got me rethinking something I thought I was set on, now I'm :confused:. but you make a good point about gearing.

My dodge was at about [email protected] in 5th , if I remember correctly, with the 4.10s and 305/70/17's tires, measured at 34" tall on the truck. I wasn't impressed with it on the highway, I was just keeping up with traffic and I had nothing left to pass/ etc if I needed to. I never towed with it, but I could see that being a pain. I'd be running shorter tires when I go to duals, so that's more RPM at the same MPH. I can see 4.10s bringing the suck in that case.

I read the FODGE build thread, it made me eventually want a DRW axle. Run singles most of the time for DD duty but have the option of duals to tow. Seems like a way to have the best of both worlds. I don't know what camper I'll end up with, but the stability would be nice. I wasn't planning on the dually axle at this stage, but I have been keeping an eye out for for a reasonably priced Disk, LS DRW D80 without much luck.

So, now IDK what I want to do, thanks....

1. Stick with the original plan, use the single 4.10 D80 I have, Regear the front to match. Should only cost me a couple hundred for gears and associated crap, and I'm up and running. Swap in a drw axle at a later date.

2. Just bite the bullet and get the DRW D80 now to match the front. Cost could be slightly more than option #1 or a $1000+ more, depends on what axle/deal I come across. I'm still trying to figure out what D80s came in that was 8x6.5 and not a C&C. I know 2nd gen dodge diesel/V10 3500s, apparently some pre '99 ford F350/E350s might have them? I've read conflicting info if they came with D80s or 10.5's. And maybe E350SDs through '05 kept the 8x6.5 and had dually options. The Ford stuff is new to me, I'm reading alot and mixing up the info. :homer:

3. Say FAWK IT ALL! and get a Superduty F350 drw D80. These didn't come with 3.54, but 3.73. Disk brakes. Run this, redrill the hubs to 8x6.5, regear the front to 3.73. They cost about the same as the Disk, LS DRW Dodge axle, so that's a wash. 3.73s seem like they'd be the sweet spot. It's probably the most expensive option though.

Of course I love the idea of #3, but I'd have to outlay some, significant, cash up front to get the axle here soon to stay on schedule, and then hope I can make some back relatively quick selling the dodge axle set. If I wait for the axles to sell, this whole thing could end up stalling for awhile, and that's not an option.

I'm going to drink and ponder my options.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
The 01.5-02 Dodge disc D80 DRW (pickup) sounds ideal. Its 72" wide, 8x6.5" pattern, integral parking brake, and available in 3.54 (although most DRWs seem to have 4.10, which works ok with the auto's .69 OD). The SRW version you have should be 70" wide.

The E450 D80 variant (careful, D70HD mixed in there too) has heavier brakes, no parking brake, but 76" wide.

Drums won't be the end of the world. Guys have swapped to discs later.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/international-harvester/483369-1-ton-fat-ass.html
fordmann.com | F-350: Sterling Rear Disc Conversion

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 01.5-02 Dodge disc D80 DRW (pickup) sounds ideal. Its 72" wide, 8x6.5" pattern, integral parking brake, and available in 3.54 (although most DRWs seem to have 4.10, which works ok with the auto's .69 OD). The SRW version you have should be 70" wide.

The E450 D80 variant (careful, D70HD mixed in there too) has heavier brakes, no parking brake, but 76" wide.

Drums won't be the end of the world. Guys have swapped to discs later.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/international-harvester/483369-1-ton-fat-ass.html
fordmann.com | F-350: Sterling Rear Disc Conversion
I've passed on 2 of the 01.5-02 dodge axles so far because of the price, cheapest one was going to be $2G to my door, all through salvage yards, because it's the only place I've found them. I haven't seen one on CL as long as I've been dealing with the dodges, 5+years now. I went to look at a drum dually last week that was supposed to be a full width 90s Ford ambulance D80, turned out to be a C&C D70.

Your right though, the Dodge axle makes the most sense. I can use my current axle to at least get my springs and hangers in position in the chassis so momentum won't slow down on the project while I look for another axle.

Damn, only 1 drink in and decisions are finalized. :smokin: I'm going to look for an axle...

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
Have you considered just finding a cheap 10.25 and putting it under there? They're tough as nails rear ends and have better ground clearance than all the other stuff. Yeah, it's drum brakes, but you can convert that whenever. I've never asked for more brakes with mine and I run 37" Goodyear MTs. Also pretty easy for gear swaps compared to a Dana axle due to the outboarded shims.

Dually is nice for towing, but unless you're dead set on the flat bed it'll look stupid. I've hauled a lot of weight with a single rear wheel and never really thought I needed it. Maybe if I was regularly pulling 10K plus I'd want it more.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you considered just finding a cheap 10.25 and putting it under there? They're tough as nails rear ends and have better ground clearance than all the other stuff. Yeah, it's drum brakes, but you can convert that whenever. I've never asked for more brakes with mine and I run 37" Goodyear MTs. Also pretty easy for gear swaps compared to a Dana axle due to the outboarded shims.

Dually is nice for towing, but unless you're dead set on the flat bed it'll look stupid. I've hauled a lot of weight with a single rear wheel and never really thought I needed it. Maybe if I was regularly pulling 10K plus I'd want it more.
I've started looking at other axles. 10.5s, 14Bs, D70s. I'm set on a dually axle, I want to eventually pull a 5th wheel or multi car trailer. I have dodge 3rd gen alloys with 6"BS that I think will look alright as singles when I'm not towing. Pretty sure it's getting the flat bed, I'll shelf the box for now.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Measure the width of your donor. Chassis cabs and 2wd dualies used a narrower frame for a while. The axles will need fab and the drums may not clear your leafs. The 10.5 will have 8x170 lug patten, so it won't match the front. Id run a 10.25 out of a later obs truck. It will bolt in and be the right width. I would not bother with a d70, just no real advantage over the d60 you already have and so many variations that parts can be a pain.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Measure the width of your donor. Chassis cabs and 2wd dualies used a narrower frame for a while. The axles will need fab and the drums may not clear your leafs. The 10.5 will have 8x170 lug patten, so it won't match the front. Id run a 10.25 out of a later obs truck. It will bolt in and be the right width. I would not bother with a d70, just no real advantage over the d60 you already have and so many variations that parts can be a pain.
Yeah, I'm not even looking at C&C axles. The Ford and dodge I'm working with both have the same width frames, 37", I think, I don't have my notes in front of me. 10.25 isn't an option, how will a 10.5 hold up to a warmed over 12V / 5 speed and a heavy foot? I'm hard on shit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts