Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to all this, but getting into it very quicklywith my 91 pickup, Basically my problems are that I just got the truck about three months - four months ago, and want some advice for when I go home for spring break. I am Cheap ass college kid that is on the trails all the time (Mostly mud, and swamp type terrain) I have the infamous IFS and have not had too much of a problem with it at all, and actually want to know if it is worth it to switch to the solid front? I want tires no bigger then 35's thinking 33's is all I need, So basically I will need some sort of lift and gears which is not a problem, but is it really worth it to take the time and money to get rid of the IFS when I am most likely on the road, and not running any massive size tires?

One other thing on the side also... I currently have 31in tires, and have problems staying keeping the car above 70mph in fifth. Is this the 22re or do I basically just need a gear change. Thanks for helping--

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Basic Advise

91 Yota
- Basically it depends on what you want and where you are. If you just want to fit 33's, a body lift may cover you and save you a lot of head ache and wallet pains. If you plan on doing 35's, don't. To do it right, you need to swap in a solid front. If you're going to keep this truck for a long time, it may be worth doing it right once. I'd say either do as little as possible as you can be happy with now, or go all out and do it right the first time.

As for you cruising speed, I don't know much about what gears you have. But if your motor is winding out (4000 rpm and you just decide to let up), you need higher gears or bigger tires. I doubt this is the problem. If the engine simply doesn't have the power (lugging, you step on it and nothing happens), you need lower gears or smaller tires. Or you can do something to improve your motor's power. If that's the route you want to go, search in the Toy forum. I'm sure there's a lot of info about your motor. Hope this helps.

Reed

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
a buddy of mine runs 35" mtr's, with a lockright front. No major problems from what i see.. no suspension lift, only body. IMHO, dont waiste your money on a suspension lift. PUt on a body lift, and then a drivetrain lift for a flat belly.. plus some hammer work on the fenders.

Garrett

·
Registered
556 Posts
my $.02:

dont do a body lift at all...the truck is old enough to whip out the sawzall on, body lifts are for mall wheelin' and occasionally room for drivetrain clearance...

if your going to spend time/money gearing something, make it something that will be worth it in the long run (i.e. a solid front end)...i fucked around trying to make an IFS truck worth a damn for 3 years...it sucks...and when you put oversized tires on those old bushings and balljoints, you end up spending all your time doing maintainence on the IFS instead of doing mods...

as for on the highway...here in VA the speed limit is 65...i've seen 70 in other states, and i know its higher than that elsewhere...here is where you reach the point that you say..."do i want a daily driver or a trail rig"...the two do not cohabit the same truck...maybe the solution for you is to have two sets of tires (stock and a set of 33s perhaps)...

really, you have to decide what you want, what your willing to commit to it...and PICK YOUR BATTLES!!!...

good luck:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts