Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Great thread! I'm running a wristed radius arm on my early Bronco and while you have to watch for spinning the opposite tube and bending the other arm, I'm not rock racing so had no problems, flexes good. Longer radius arms free up a front end as well for not much money and that's my next move.
On the rear leafs I'm running BC Broncos spring rockers (two plates with a stout hinge point between the axle and springs) and the flex is unbelievable for the money. Street manners are still bearable too. I think money and KISS are key for many of us and Old Skool is still Cool.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Simple. Cheap. Easy. Sheep.
:laughing:

Mainly, I thought this might be an interesting discussion, especially with some of the build ups in progress or soon to be in progress in here.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A linked suspension brings mad bling-bling factor, but part of that is all the headaches of getting one built properly.

I am undertaking building a long arm 3 link for the front of the screwball, but its been several years in the coming, and will probably take me the rest of the year to get the truck where I want it. The rear will most likely stay leaf sprung, simply following the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. As was stated earlier, when set up properly, leaf springs have plenty of bang for the buck on most rigs.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Its easy to fuck up a linked setup and have something that flexes well but is a rock humper.

Its hard to fuck up a radius arm/coil or leaf setup. Pretty much weld/bolt on.

There is no doubt that links/CO's work better... but honestly ive never been stuck on a hard spot were so-an-so's linked rig made it and my radius arm rig didnt simply because of suspension design. I am still leaves in the rear simply because i bought them in '99 when i was stupid- i spent $450 on those suckers by God im gonna use them. :flipoff2:

To answer your question, i think people still stick with radius arms and leaves because they are simple and they work 95% as good as links/CO's. Assuming proper setup of course. Most of us fall into that "95% is good enough for me" catagory.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well, I'll confess, I had a bit of an agenda with this thread :D

The debate was that with a current day build "four linked coilovers was the only way to go".

Now, I can't really argue with that, and its the direction my next build is taking...BUT...

I maintain that a properly engineered leafspring or radius arm setup will still get the job done well for 99% of the wheelers out there. Cheap, simple to set up, not allot to go wrong.

Part of the discussion sprang from the same mindset that "any cage HAS GOT to be made out of dom". Now, I''m a firm believer in using hrew, but all my earlier cages were pipe and I still think if designed correctly, they can do a fine job.

Its really about the current mindset of "this is best so its the only way" despite the fact that builds have been ticking along just fine for the last forty odd years old school.

Just curious what the rest of you thought and are currently doing. I think so far feedback supports my "old school is fine" position. Still, its always good to hear what current thought is, and what is and isn't working for the rest of you.

Carry on :smokin:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That's exactly what it is. A pipe/hrew cage is good enough for MOST people since it only has to last one flop. Leaves and radius arms are good enough for MOST people, since they're cheap, easy, and they aren't wheeling competitively with a sponsor behind them.

Yes, the latest as greatest is great IF you actually need it. Builing a linked rig just to be able to say you have one even though leaves got you everywhere you wanted to go makes about as much sense as 26" chrome rims on a 1986 Caprice.

Justin

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
There is a happy medium between the old school (leafs, radius arms) and the spendy and potentially tricky link setups-

One link.

They are stupid simple to do, and work just as good as a multi-link setup in my opinion if you adhere to two simple ideas. Keep the wishbone(one link) as long as possible and as flat as possible.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Well, I'll confess, I had a bit of an agenda with this thread :D

The debate was that with a current day build "four linked coilovers was the only way to go".

Now, I can't really argue with that, and its the direction my next build is taking...BUT...

I maintain that a properly engineered leafspring or radius arm setup will still get the job done well for 99% of the wheelers out there. Cheap, simple to set up, not allot to go wrong.

Part of the discussion sprang from the same mindset that "any cage HAS GOT to be made out of dom". Now, I''m a firm believer in using hrew, but all my earlier cages were pipe and I still think if designed correctly, they can do a fine job.

Its really about the current mindset of "this is best so its the only way" despite the fact that builds have been ticking along just fine for the last forty odd years old school.

Just curious what the rest of you thought and are currently doing. I think so far feedback supports my "old school is fine" position. Still, its always good to hear what current thought is, and what is and isn't working for the rest of you.

Carry on :smokin:

I kinda posted something of the same sorts in the jeep forum awhile ago. I think I had more fun wheeling my stock 88 with hacked fenders and 39.5's more than any other rig I've ever had. It was tupid simple to work on and would fit just about anywhere....I miss that thing.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I don't really feel like my Cruiser wheels "that" much better now that it is linked front and rear than it did when it was on leafs front and rear.

The main thing I gained was less repair time. I was replacing a spring or two every other trip due to spring wrap..with a rear traction bar.

If you can get a leaf spring setup properly tuned, then I don't believe the average to hardcore wheeler will gain much from coilovers and links other than bragging rights. Which is nice too:D

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
i have always had the mindset that one should get the best he can afford, or just a little over. Not everyone needs a DOM cage, 4 link and coilovers. most will be happy just to be out wheelin, i know i am. my truggy is almost all herw, with only a few exceptions. did i want dom - ya but i couldnt justify the cost for my build. a well desined cage with herw can be just as strong as a mild dom cage. unless you plan on rolling a lot :flipoff2:

do what you can afford and go wheelin. i think the reason so many people bail on there builds is because the time it takes to build a 4 linked ring or full on buggy, and the money. just look in the for sale section, there are tons of good rigs and semi finished rigs.

so pro let it out ( not the snake, you sick fuck :flipoff2: ) what is the new build - or idea floating around your sick little mind ? :D

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yup, a linked EB.

But I've also got some stuff kicking around for SuperBeast :D

Although, at the rate I seem to get stuff done these days who knows who long until things come together.

Heres a tip for the rest of you, don't put a liquor dispenser (it looks like a gas pump), a big screen t.v., leather recliner and an xbox in your shop. I think there might be a correlation between when I put all that in there and my work slowing down :homer:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ditto on the alternative entertainment in the garage. I have to run old war flicks and star wars movies on my t.v. or I wind up watching the tele instead of wrenching.

I'm in agreement with much of what has been said here. While everyone wants a long travel link setup to absorb whoops at 80 mph and crawl rocks and mud run and still drive to 7-11 and the parts store. Not too many of us can afford the time and money it takes to get a link and coilovers tuned right. Many a rig has been sold because guys got tired of wrenching and tuning and just wanted to drive again.

My favorite example is my friend who had a 69 roadrunner with a 440 and a 4 speed. He had more money in that car than he could count and still couldn't break the 11.80's with it. He sold the car, went down and bought a late model firebird, threw on a nitrous system, bolted on some M/T drag radials and ran 12's all day long without touching a thing. Sure there were faster cars, but he had a lot more time to drive and a lot more time to benchrace with everybody and went home without grease on his clothes or smelling like gas. The last part made his wife a lot happier, which made the little head a lot happier:)

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I built the front 3 link when I did the D60 swap in my Bronco 4 years ago and it's been a great setup. The flex is awesome, no durability issues, and it was really cheap to do since I did all the fab work. All I bought was DOM tube, Johnny joints, and some plate and bolts.
I kept the leafs in the rear, did a shackle flip with the shackle angle set to make a soft spring rate, and it's been very good. I'd like to 4 link the rear to improve the departure angle but I think it would kill the drivability on pavement.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Ditto on the alternative entertainment in the garage. I have to run old war flicks and star wars movies on my t.v. or I wind up watching the tele instead of wrenching.

I'm in agreement with much of what has been said here. While everyone wants a long travel link setup to absorb whoops at 80 mph and crawl rocks and mud run and still drive to 7-11 and the parts store. Not too many of us can afford the time and money it takes to get a link and coilovers tuned right. Many a rig has been sold because guys got tired of wrenching and tuning and just wanted to drive again.

My favorite example is my friend who had a 69 roadrunner with a 440 and a 4 speed. He had more money in that car than he could count and still couldn't break the 11.80's with it. He sold the car, went down and bought a late model firebird, threw on a nitrous system, bolted on some M/T drag radials and ran 12's all day long without touching a thing. Sure there were faster cars, but he had a lot more time to drive and a lot more time to benchrace with everybody and went home without grease on his clothes or smelling like gas. The last part made his wife a lot happier, which made the little head a lot happier:)
I had a 500 dollar 69 RR that ran 11.2 1/4's at 126mph with a vertical gate hurst shifter and a healthy 383. Your friend needs to learn to shift.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yup, a linked EB.

QUOTE]
Holy fawk.....
are you leaving the mud behind???
3...2...1 untill Jopes comes in with a gay mud comment :flipoff2:

Naaa, I just like tackling all terrains and quite some time ago my main wheeler became too ginormous for rock crawls and the tight trails out here. Any one rig is somewhat of a compromise, so I figured I'd keep one a giant bogger/dragger and go the other direction with one of my eb's.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
naaaa you're just to much of a pansy ass to accept body damage, but then again if you actually had enough power to float across the mud you could have to worry about losingg control and smashing a bank :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Yup, a linked EB.
Wow... how original :flipoff2:

I want to go a different direction with my buggy and I want a streetable family wheelin rig... which is something I really miss. I have an exploder to molest which is our 3rd DD type vehicle so it's not like I'd have to rely on it being together every single day. One thought is to take all the good parts off the buggy, put them in the exploder and build an entirely new buggy from scratch. The other idea is to buy new stuff for the sploder and revamp the buggy I have. However I still think that will result in two axles and a powertrain laying on the floor as the starting point for a buggy :laughing:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts