Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a rear Dana 60, 63" WMS to WMS from a 71 Ford F250 camper special. It's got 16 splined axles, Will this housing accept 35 spline axle with a new carrier?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Good width, but find some stronger shafts. you might not be able to run the 35sp axles in the 16 sp housing without boring it.
All of the older D60's were coarse spline.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
my buddy simon @ www.faultlinefab.com runs a 60 in the rear of his cruiser. we used a van HD housing and cut the long side down to match the short side in length. that allows you to run a stock short axle shaft on both sides and you don't have to have custom shafts made. it also happens to end up within 1/2 inch of cruiser stock width, just center diff instead of the stock offset.;)

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted the extra width of the 63" rear end, but thanks for the heads up.
did the 35 spline axles come in anything stock with the 63" housing?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You will need to enlarge the spindle ID for sure. But to really tell what the center section will let you do you will need to tear it down. I don't think the carrier bearings changed I think its just the inner seal your worried about. Just my $0.02

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So changing the spindals to the late model 35 spline spindals? and then my hubs probably wont fit the bigger spindals, and possibly a problem internally with seals?
sounds like alot of work, maybe I'll just buy some quality 30 splined axles and call it a day?????

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't think the carrier bearings changed I think its just the inner seal your worried about. Just my $0.02
They dont use inner seals on rear 60's , the hubs run in gear lube.

So changing the spindals to the late model 35 spline spindals?
Just cut yours off bore and replace
requires cutting them off and boreing to size and welding back on which also requires alignment jigs to keep it straight.
I did mine last year and it was quite easy, but then I also have access to mills and a lathe to build my jigs.

sounds like alot of work, maybe I'll just buy some quality 30 splined axles and call it a day?????
If your going to spend $$$$ for shafts get the 35 spline and dont look back, do it once and do it right, besides I dont belive any body makes HD 30 spline shafts.

Here is a pic of a spindle in the lathe

Attachments

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, so I can bore the existing spindals? will they still be strong enough?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I never heard of a failure and I know some guys that really thrash their rigs with bored spindles + 42's + heavy jeeps and lots of go peddle

Another method
There is a company that makes a boring tool that uses a 1/2" drill motor, that threads on the end of the spindle and has a endmill style cutting bit but it is $$$$ and takes a long time and a lot of pushing. A friend of mine has or had one but I know he had it for sale.

rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts