Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I guess I could be called a newbie so I figured I should post here not to get yelled at. I have helped out a bunch of friends working on thier jeeps (TJ's and CJ's) but now I have my own rig that I would like to get started on. I am not looking to do any serious crawling or anything extreme like that just probably enought ot get me in trouble! I have a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 (Z71) with the NON auto-trac 4 wheel drive(it is electronic). I am looking to lift my truck to get more clearance and add some ability to my rig. Now the more people I talk to the more it looks like I should just trash the total IFS sytem in the front and go to a solid axel. Now to start this shidig off my truck is total stock as of currently, minus audio upgrades but that should not factor in these questions. I have been searching online for any IFS conversion kits and I have only found 1 so far. It is made by ORU offroad, but I still am a little skeptical about there system. It is to convert to leaf springs in the front and ofcourse ORU supplies diferent springs for diferent levels of lift at additional costs. But one of the first concerns is what axel to put in. Fisrt off I have no idea what is in the rear I have no clue what is in my truck stock. I have been looking for a site with some kind of information like that and have not been succsessful yet. It looks like with this conversion kit that I am limmited on what axel I can put in. I have a Dana 60 out of a ~2000 dodge that my brother in law has but I have not even looked at it yet. From what i was reading on ORU's site the D60 that I could get does not have the hog head on the driver side and that is evidently where mine is with this IFS crap. I know that I could really just go and look under and figure it out but w/o actually seeing the D60 yet I guess that does not matter. So if you are still reading this then I appreciate it b/c I would like to hear from you guys n gals, any idea? Has anyone done a conversion here that could give me some tips/point me in the right direction? I originaly was planning a 6" IFS lift and run 35's but I think that I should just go ahead and do this right b/c I do not plan on getting rid of this truck anytime soon. Also this is any everyday driver so I have to keep this in mind. I now do not how big I want to go with tires now thinking of stright axel conversion but I would assume that I would not go any bigger that 37's. I was possibly thinking of throwing a small body lift on on top of the conversion to clear 37's if needed. If converting then i have the problem of two different wheels with stock six lug on rear and whatever goes in the front depending on the axel that goes in. Except if a 44 is the same as my rear, i don't know. Then I have kind of a seperate question about exhaust. It does pertain a little b/c I will have to modify the exhaust no matter what lift i go with. I have a 5.7L 350 all stock under the hood. I have both headers running seperate CAT's and then both into one muffler and ine tailpipe coming out of there. I want it to be LOUD and get some more horsies out of it. I used to have a 93' Camaro running an open x-haust just after the cat bypassing the muffler and I was very pleased with that sound and the cost to do the whole sytem was very low. (like 70 bucks for the cutout and to have a buddies shop to make a turndown and weld it together for me) Originally I was going to just ditch the muffler all together and have each header just dump into a seperate cat and then go straight into a turndown. After talking to a family friend that use to run a tranny shop and race and build cars back in the day, he suggest to cut off the cat's and run a seperate muffler for each pipe. I do not have to worry about emmisions as we here in Kentucky ditched those tests just a year ago(WOO HOO!!). But it would be easier to hide 2 cat's thatn 2 mufflers but as far as cutting the cats off I will throw a code on the comp, but I have found wiring harnesses that will keep the computer happy so not worried bout that one either. I will probably change the headers and the intake at the same time that I do the exhaust.

So there you have it kids. Lots of questions b/c I know little bout this truck yet. I appolgize for the spelling and grammar, i kinda get excited and ramble a little. Anyone can e-mail me @ [email protected] and I will check back to see any replies.

Thanks again,
g.schucks

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am interested in hearing how it all goes. I have a 2000, 1500. I am curious as to exactly what will be involved and what other mods will be needed to make it work. Sorry I can't offer any advice but I am along for the ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
a straight axle swap on your truck is a lot of work. your truck will not ride the same but if you dont mind this, oru is the way to go unless you have done somthing like this before which you have not. there kits are pretty much straght forward but i would make sure that you have every last bolt for install and your replacement axle rebuilt including brakes and re-geared if you go with anything over a 36 inch tire. It will cost you a lot of money right off the bat but it will make everything come together in a weekend so you can still drive it to work on monday. look in the chevy post im sure there is info on the swap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chevy page

So do you guys think that I should post this in the chevy page??? I was thinking that I should put it here first.

Thanks,
g.schucks

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I've done a couple. An S-10 with Jeep Cherokee stuff and a 92 1500 with the ORU kit. If you think that you can do it in a weekend I would be real surprised. About the cost, I thought I could do it for about $7500 and it ended up at about double that. Maybe I'm just slow but I started with a bare frame and it took a year cause mine was wrecked and the frame was bent. Would do it again and it was totally worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts