Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to pull the trigger on buying the borg warner k27 drop in replacement for the hx35. Any one here running one have an opinion on it? Looking to use all the fuel the injectors I have got, and not have to worry about egts while towing.

Manual transmission
5x.012 injectors
#10 fuel plate
Valair twin disc rated to 550 hp

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
Just saw this post. But these are amazing turbos for stock replacement and blow a s300 out of the water. Truthfully you will be amazed at the drop in egt and how fast it spools.

Edit: a k27 over a k31 would be even better.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good news to hear. It'll be waiting for me when I get home from work.

Twins would be rad but not realistic right now. I need the truck usable yesterday. The off the shelf pipe kits are ridiculous

I'm hunting for a v band turbo mounted exhaust brake for it now. Thinking that factory style exhaust joint will leak a ton with a bunch of back pressure if I where to use a remote mount

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Any updates on this?

I'm still running the stock turbo on my 1997 12V and have been looking for something better for towing...this might be the ticket.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back in town tonight. It was waiting for me. Got it on sale for just under 900 bucks. Hopefully the truck will be running by next week after I iron out the tranny swap. I'll post up my thoughts afterwards

I wound up finding a used remote 4" exhaust brake for a good price so the turbo mounted one went way down the priority list

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,259 Posts
dibs on any used HX35 :grinpimp:
I have one and an H1E. I am also local.

I am interested in this build.

I am doing a 95 6BT in a C50... and want as much power as I can get out of it, without going into the long block.

What do you think you'll see for HP/TQ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Care to share any updates? I'd like to add a little more air to my 02 6 speed, as I run out around 2500 RPM. It's a toss between a K27 and rebuilding my HX35 with a Wicked Wheel II.
Also toyed with putting a Pacbrake direct mount on the back of my HX35.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
Care to share any updates? I'd like to add a little more air to my 02 6 speed, as I run out around 2500 RPM. It's a toss between a K27 and rebuilding my HX35 with a Wicked Wheel II.
Also toyed with putting a Pacbrake direct mount on the back of my HX35.
do the k27. its a much more modern design and its turbine housing and wastegate is much more freer flowing than the hx35 can ever be. Its pretty amazing how fast these little buggers spool and provide plenty of air even with larger sticks.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a bunch of work to the truck all at the same time after it sat with a blown tranny for well over a year so no real side by side comparison. I'm happy with it. It spools quick. Clears smoke well with 400 horse sticks. Pyro shit the bed while the truck was mothballed so can't say if the new turbo dropped egts yet.
Swapped in a nv5600 that has super short gears. Truck pulls everywhere in the powerband

1 - 14 of 14 Posts