Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 K5 with a 14 bolt FF rear, and a front 10 bolt 8 lug axle. It has an all spring 4" lift, and a detroit locker in the rear. It is sitting on 35/14.5/16 Boggers. I am not yet ready to re-gear (Has 4:10's now), so I dont want to have to pay to have a full locker installed (I could probably do it myself, but am more comfortable having a proffessional do any gear set-up work at this point). I dont do any harsh driving with the truck off road, I am more interested in making a vehicle that is capable of passing obstacles because of traction over speed. I am considering doing either a "Detroit EZ-Locker", or a "Detroit Gearless Locker". When I eventually do a full re-gear I will be putting a full Detroit in the front as well, but am looking for a DIY style install in the meantime. Am I nuts in thinking about using an In-carrier style locker on 35" Boggers? The engine is a stock TBI 350, Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think you should run a locrite or ez locker. I have had plenty of friends with them in Dana 60's with 38 or larger tires and no problems. They are easy to install and shouldnt be a problem with 35'' tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run a Lock Rite in a D60 with 40's and it is perfect. Never had any trouble with it, and it gets power from a 454 and low gears, so it has seen abuse.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
Lock rites in dana 60's seem to do fine.

Lock rites, quick locks, ez-lockers, etc. in dana 44/10 bolts break like glass (I don't think they'll warranty them with tires over 31" or 33")

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it is a 10 bolt corperate, You can put any locker in it and it will take any ratio. That is the nice thing about the 10 bolt, The carrier is the same no matter the ratio. So order a selectable and go for it. You can change ratio later with out changing the locker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is a 10 bolt corperate, You can put any locker in it and it will take any ratio. That is the nice thing about the 10 bolt, The carrier is the same no matter the ratio. So order a selectable and go for it. You can change ratio later with out changing the locker.
If I am to be setting up gears, I will be doing a full detroit as I mentioned above. I am just looking for an easy in-carrier locker to get me by in the meantime if I can expect it to be halfway reliable. I do not have big power, and am very gentle on my rig for the most part, so I am thinking I can get away with it for a while. This is a daily driven truck, and I don't intend on thrashing it. Are the in carrier lockers highly different for the Dana 60 vs. the 10 bolt (Like how a full detroit is an in carrier for the 14B FF vs. others?). Is there a reason why they are fragile for the 10B over a Dana 60?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Facts are, Boggers are heavy and 10 bolts we're not made to handle that weight. I don't know if you are planning on upgrading to a 60 in the future, but I went through the same thing and ended up going with the 60. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Something equivalent to a Lock-right (lunch box locker) is not any weaker between a D60 and 10-bolt axle if you keep the strength differences between the two axles in perspective. With that said I don't see these type of lockers breaking in smaller axles any more often then I see them break in larger axles. I have only personally seen lunch box locker break, and ironically it was a D60 axle, while I have seen lot's of guys with that sort of locker in 10-bolts, D44s, and D30's break other parts (shafts, u-joints, R&Ps) and the locker was fine.

So in any case I would have no issues with installing that type of locker in a front 10-bolt with 35's. It's definitely not a bullet proof axle, but it's also hard to justify a D60 with 35" tires. However before you drop the money on a lunch box locker, and then drop even more money on gears, Detroit, setup parts, and labor on the 10-bolt I would seriously consider spending that same $$ on a front D60.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, another reason for wanting to do the internal locker, is that it would buy me time while I keep my eye out for a front D60. The going rate in my area seems to be around $1200 for a good one, but deals always pop up! I think driving style has a lot to do with it as well. One of my buddies has 37's on a ford with a D60 (Detroit) rear, and a D44 (ARB) front, and he has snapped the rear FF axle shafts a few times, and I could never see that happening the way I drive.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had an ARB in my 10 bolt for years with 35s, no breakage. Great thing about the selectable lockers is that you ONLY engage it when you really need it...which, with the rear Detroit you already have, is likely very seldom. So, your 10 bolt will greatly benefit by remaining "open" for 95% of the time, and locked for the few times you need to have it locked. Now, some people say 10 bolts break when you look at them wrong, others have few problems...I was one of the ones who NEVER had a problem with my front 10 bolt (with ARB and without)...it sounds like you drive like me, slow and steady = control and less expensive (due to less breakage).

But if you're like most of us, you will upgrade to the Dana 60 sooner or later...so maybe just keep wheeling with the rear Detroit and hold off until you get the 60...saves you money in the long term...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts