Pirate 4x4 banner

1821 - 1840 of 1874 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
What is the plan for a replacement rear axle? You're running a 14 bolt currently?

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,822
What is the plan for a replacement rear axle? You're running a 14 bolt currently?

It looks like I never took pics of the axles Mr. Carl Jantz built for me.. One of them (The front) is for my CC and the other (The rear) is for my blazer. They are both 14b's. One is a 98' ish and the other 04' ish. They have both been shaved and have 11/16" wall 3.25" DOM tubing. :smokin:
Front is setup with Solid inner C's and built to be able to run Leafs (enough space to run 32" spring width) Driver side drop at 71 WMS.
Rear is set up to be 68.5" has Ruff Stuff Dana60 spindle mounts welded to the ends. To be able to run front spindles on the rear. All to be able to easily replace spindles and to never need to deal with flange axles ever again. I will be running front 60 SRW hubs with drive flanges on the 14b.

Both axles are bare and need truss and all mounts. Not to worried about the front as I'm not even close to starting on the CC. But the rear needs to happen soon. Oh I have 30/37 CTM double splined shafts and Drive flanges for the rear, too.

I just need time and money.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,823
What a great weekend!!!!

We raced at Jump Champs #3

Started king of poopy, with some rain. But that went away just in time for some racing. Got a chance to hang out with Craig Allen and Hal Deschamp. Craig let me drive the spec car he just got (The Falcon sponsored). That was cool. More than 30* of steering is something I need to look into :laughing::laughing::laughing: Hals car is a work of art. And Hal took home the longest jump contest as first place! :smokin::smokin:
My brother cleaned house in 2 classes, Sand car and Unlimited. 1st in both with an 2285 single carb old 1600 car.
We ended in 1st in the U4 class, with Craig pussing out because of the rain, and Hal breaking, both of those cars should of been faster than me. We had one almost clean run and 4 other bad runs (time trials).

The problems. We thought we fixed the rocker/valve adjustment issues. Well we lost a hyd lifter, it would not pump up at all. I think I pulled that Pass valve cover maybe 7 times during the time I should of been practicing. We tightened it down to just before bottom out, to be used as a solid lifter. It stayed together and we had a blast.

As of this morning, the motor is ready to come out with 1 bolt left to be removed. Motor will be out by tonight and we will try to get the blazer back into the trailer. Motor will get a full rebuild in the next few weeks. We found some evidence of sand in the throttle body so we know its not going to be super clean inside.

We also had another issue that has happened before, the same way. At Glen Helen, over one of the jumps (first one pointed to the grand stands) when we land hard. It seems to go into limp mode (not sure if it has limp mode though). Land hard as in bottom out hard. If sounds and feels like no fuel, it will idle but not rev, just sounds empty. After rolling for a about 100 feet its back up and running.....:confused::confused: We have had distributor pickup issues before and we think this might be related. In the past after we ran it for a while and shut it down it would not fire up. Take the distributor cap off loosen the magnetic pickup move it around a bit, and tighten everything back up, it fires back up. :confused::homer::laughing: We probably did that 6-8 times one weekend. We then changed the pickup and that stopped but now we have this other issue. Sooooooooooo we are thinking maybe going to coil on plug.....

Other than possibly going to coil on plug or some change to the ignition system, we are goin to change the cam. I want to talk to a cam guy that can point me in a better direction... And I would like to go to a cast distributor gear on the cam as well as short throw hyd roller lifters, I guess CompCams make them.

Some pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
L18 swap time?

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,826 (Edited)
I didn't see you run, but damn your brother is an animal behind the wheel. He was killing it out there in that old 1600 car.
Ya he rips on that little car.....

L18 swap time?
Na just a rebuild.. I cant be without the Low end BBC torque...

Also...

I'm going to play with the wheel hubs again. I'm getting the Modified Ford 60 hubs back and I will try to see if I can make them work. IRRC it was the bearing spacing and spindle nut engagement issue along with rotor placement that didn't allow for them to work last time.

I have some ideas to go around all that.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,830
Wanted to get out to Jump Champs. Just ran out of time.

It's starting to warm up in JV. We'll have to plan some night runs.
For sure. we pulled the motor yesterday and will be giving it some love. I'll post pics later. Nothing obvious yet.

I did notice there was a crack in the mounting of the midship shaft bracket. Looks like I will be redoing that before we are up and running.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,831
So I got a little work done. Motor is torn down. I guess we lost another lash cap. Good news is we found both lash caps in the oil pan. Bad news is one of them damaged one of the pistons. It went through the bottom next to the pin. No damage to any of the working parts but may need to be replaced. No ridge either but all of the valve seals are leaking, leaving carbon/.debris on the back side of the valves and top of the pistons. No other damage. Everything looks worn but nothing worn out. I port matched one of the heads I'll finish the other tonight. We got with Crower and we will be running there parts. The blazer is going solid roller. :shaking::smokin: I will meet with the engine guy tomorrow to see if I need need an new piston and/or anything else.

I'll post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,832
Got some pics up

You can see where the lash cap went.

And the new to me 97' CTD for my CC. Its a long ways away but its another part that is needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,834
SO we ended up going a little different direction. Went with AFR 345 heads and .720"+ lift, solid roller. And after we found out we were near 9.5 CR we went to new forged 10.8 CR pistons. Also to ARP 2000 bolts on the rods.

Built a new carrier bearing system, 1350 CV at the T-case and 1410 for the rest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,835
Also we rolled the truck at a Jump Champs event at Glen Helen. But it was all cosmetic. Got the body all fixed up and back in the trailer.

Then I bought a new to me truck. Its a 79' original k-30 with the frame cut down behind the cab to a short bed length. Needs to be de-rigged. Put in an order to ORD for some good loven…. A front tube bumper, longer (52") front springs, Cross over steering, some shackle parts and bushings. The core support was built wayyyy wrong. So to the pick and pull I went and got me a 85' core support (with over under headlights)and a dodge core support to hold the intercooler. Not sure if I will run a Chevy radiator or dodge. The rear hangers got removed a couple days ago to go to a 64" set of rear springs.

Its a 96' P-pump, Dodge 4500, Dodge 205. Has a FASS lift pump and dual disc clutch.

It will get the Chevy 4500 and a Ford 205. The 1tons will be sold (They are really clean with 4.10's and disc swap rear) I need to come up with a price, rear is out and the front will be out soon. Hit me up if your interested. The 71" front 14 that Carl Jantz built a long time ago, will go in, as well as the rear Van 14 at 70".
The trans and t-case will be for sale too. I need to come up with a price for that too. I might sell the clutch to go to a single disc..

I will be going to a 40" KR3 BFG race tire on TR beadlocks with 4.5 BS should be just about perfect. And 4.56 gears

I have a 40 Spline ARB that I really don't want to use, I much rather run a Detroit. I need to make custom front shafts, if anyone is interested in some trading let me know.

Other than that we have been going to JV a bunch. I'll be out there for KOH for a week+. Please stop me and say what's up if you see me, and lets have a cold beverage. And maybe do some trails. We camp near Turkey claw.

And my bros 72' is coming along nicely also. about done with the big fab. down to details and wiring plumbing. Fuel cell is something really cool. I built a 32 gal Jaz cell with a Fuel safe trap door box. Has 2 Walbro 255 pumps inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
how come you're going to a race tire on the crew cab? Is it just going to be an off road truck or are those race tires not as terrible as the others on the road?

Are you going to do a build thread for that truck? I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

1821 - 1840 of 1874 Posts