Pirate 4x4 banner

1861 - 1874 of 1874 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,861
My bros truck is about done. BTW he bought my old dodge back from the guy I sold it to.... So its back in the family...

Got the wheel and tire combo going. 40 Nitto on some TR's..

Radiator support is about done. One brace to add and sand/paint

Tunnel work complete. Just needs sand the tips of the welds down a bit, silicone and paint.

Rear frame extensions tacked in, short bed will fit right on... A 40 Gal suburban tank will be back there too.. will be all tight but I'm confident it will all work.

Been playing with trying to mount the turbos, Looks like I will need to cut more firewall near the trans tunnel. But I need a 24v stock manifold to try? If anyone has a 24v 98-02 exhaust manifold let me know please...

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what is the game plan with the back half of the frame?
Didn't want to pull the 14" inches out from behind the cab so you just whacked the back of the frame then remaking it with 2x4 for the minus 18"?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,864
Bedigs truck had a bunch of engine problems. The previous owners put on 3/8" oil lines to the cooler. Ended up starving the engine for Lube. Needed new bearings, pistons, rings, cam, springs, oil pump and swapped out the car pan for a truck pan. Ill install some -10 cooler lines and a cooler in the rear later.

The rear of the Crew Cab, is a fun story.... The previous owner had cut the frame about 4' back from the cab. And since I'm going to be running a truck bed I needed to recreate the up and down (2.25") of the frame above the axle. But without shortening the front section. Then I found some 2x4x.250" so I said Fuck-it it will be beef. Its boxes in and welded on both sides and rosette. I was able fit the 40 Gal sub tank. On an angle and backwards, hahhahahah. It will fit with min trimming to the front for the axle. And backwards so the filler will be on the Drivers side behind the rear wheel.

Problem is going to be the exhaust. With a 5" pipe its huge and the Sub tank is all the way up against the rear axle. So I wont be able to go up and over. Cant go above the frame and cant go below. I'll explore some oval tubing and cutting through the frame but I don't like that either.....

Got the front axle spring perches welded up on the casting and axle shafts figured out. Carl Jantz will be making me some shafts for the front 14b.

Next is new body mounts from Energy Suspension and Shock mounts. The rear Deavers might need to be swapped out. With the long tension shackle I need something with a lot more lift. This would be perfect if I were to run a shackle flip in place. Right at about 4" of lift.

And on the rear I had a buddy cut me some 1/2 plate and welded to the rear of the frame that the hitch is welded to, the bumper will bolt to and the rear spring hangers bolt to (I will weld them in place when I finalize the location. Hitch should be beef too 3.5 square x .250"

Got some goodies from LeePowerSteering.com too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,865
Got a little more done. Figured out the F-700 accessory drive, Mounted a 1st gen fan hub, making the fan Lower, over to the pass side and about 1" closer to the motor. I needed the extra room for the clearance of the shroud, Having an aluminum shroud made as I could not make it happen. Apparently 0.040" is too thin. lol. Having a buddy that owns a fab shop down the street do it. SMP fab. Got the front shock mounts figured out with 14" x 2.5 reservoir Foxes. And just finished the rear shock mounts. They are removable rear hoops that will bolt through the bed. The rear will have 16" x 2.5 reservoir AND 14" x 2.5" Air Shocks to be used in place of airbags. Got the axleshafts from Carl Jantz, Moser 4340 Domestic, comp cut inners, CTM joints and Foote 4340 outers. I need to finish the holes in the bed with some removable small panels so the hoops can come in and out. A re do of the fuel tank filler is also needed, I don't like the way it ended up. The rear springs will need to be re-arched, or replaced. As they are too soft for the load. Bed, 40 gal fuel, and the lift I want 11.5" from spring eyes to bottom of pack at ride height @ 64". I may go down to Deaver on Friday.
Got some little BS work done on the enclosed trailer, Ran some 110v outlets inside and out. Added a light above the bench and wired in the ARB fridge. Then got the tool box and dump cans off of the ground and on some steel racks. Been wanting to do this for a while.
Blazer ready to go in the trailer.
First trip since KOH will be Glamis I haven't been in a long time.
Ill post pics in a min.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,868
I ended up having some flanges cut to run newer 14b discs onto an older or other axles. This is a '98 Van 14b originally with drums.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Lookin good man, thank for the updates.

Did you clearance the fuel tank to accommodate for the axle swinging up and to the rear?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,870
Lookin good man, thank for the updates.

Did you clearance the fuel tank to accommodate for the axle swinging up and to the rear?
Yes I notched out a large radius, I also re-cut into the tank and moved the filler to a more desirable location. I took it to a gas tank repair shop (guy ended up being a wheeler too) to have the tank Tig welded and pressure tested. I'm still thinking I might have the tank coated on the inside, just trying to decide if I will or take it to a shop, 40 gals is a lot to manhandle.

I have not made that much process to post. But I did modify the front crossmember to clear the shroud and boxed in the steering box.

I then made the executive decision against my wallets better judgment to shelve the 4500/205 and go 5600/205. Apparently the 5600 4x4 trans is a super rare unit. I ended up buying a core from TN and having it shipped to SoCal and then went and found 4x4 tailhousing and a new aftermarket 4x4 output/mainshaft, for way too much $$$$. Either way all are at the trans shop Trans-Action in Sun Valley Cal for a full go through and prep. So I will wait for that and possibly need to redo the floor to clear. But at the end it will all work out and be bad ass.

Anyone want a 4500/205 (driver drop, all 32 spline) rebuilt ready to bolt it, 1-3/8" HD input for Cummins. Hit me up 8one8 four89 three827 Jack

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes I notched out a large radius, I also re-cut into the tank and moved the filler to a more desirable location. I took it to a gas tank repair shop (guy ended up being a wheeler too) to have the tank Tig welded and pressure tested. I'm still thinking I might have the tank coated on the inside, just trying to decide if I will or take it to a shop, 40 gals is a lot to manhandle.
Right on man, thanks for the info and update. Looks like I’m going to have to notch my tank as well to make room for 14 bolt.

Your builds are badass!

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,872
Right on man, thanks for the info and update. Looks like I’m going to have to notch my tank as well to make room for 14 bolt.

Your builds are badass!
Some pics of the gas tank.

Attachments

1861 - 1874 of 1874 Posts