Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After finally getting things in order after retirement from the Army,I think I am ready to finally work on one of my own projects, I decided the only vehicle platform that would keep me motivated is a 1st gen 4Runner as that is what I have owned for the majority of my wheelin' days. In retrospect, I should have listened to my wife and brought my exo-runner http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382882 back from Hawaii with me. Oh well, live and learn.

The first issue with this build was to find a 84-89 4Runner in Pennsylvania in decent shape. Found this for $550 on Craiglist. It had 2 flat tires, the brakes did not work, the rear window did not work, it didn't start and the muffler was gone but the frame and body were in good shape. So I bought it sight unseen. I ended up putting a yellow top battery in it and was able to start it and drive it up on the trailer with 2 flats. The owners Jaw dropped.

I got it home, put on 2 rollers and this is what it looked like day 1

UPDATE 6/9/2011: Since I have shut down my business my origial plan has changed on this and I am building it with no thought of what I sell and need to show case. I have many Trail Gear parts since I was selling their products, I have Corbeau Ultra's for seats since I used to sell them, but no longer sell PitBull tires so I chose to run GoodYear Kevlar MTR's. The goal is still the same though as I want this rig to be able to tackle some decent trails (Blacks/Reds) and still drive down the road.

Current Specs as of Nov 15th 2011:
Bobbed bed
35" Kevlar MTR's
3 Link Front/14" FoxAir Shocks
Stock Rear Springs for now
Crossover using stock Arms/heim joints
Trail Gear Hydro assist ram
PSC Hydro Assist Pump and Reservoir
Trail Gear Dual Cases with 4.7"s in rear case
relocated tank to behind the rear axle
relocated gas door
exhaust exiting through rocker panel
Custom front bumper
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom Sliders
Through the dash internal Cage
Custom short Top

Recent Pic:

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
had a set of 37" Bias Rockers in the shop so mounted them on some rims to see how they would do. This is with 0 lift. might rub a little. 21" to the bottom of the frame and the goal will be to have a maximum of 3" total suspension lift taking the max end bottom frame height to 24". It will be lower if possible but with the IFS frame I am being realistic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looks familiar :) Good to see you working on this John.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also built the transfer case and tore apart the front axle for the build.

Transfer case:
21 spline input,
23 spline Trail Creeper Dual case adapter
23 spline Trail-Creeper™ 4.70 T-Case Reduction Gear Kit
Trail gear twin stick kit
Trail Gear Triple Drilled Flanges

Axle is just in the tear down stages, but wanted to show it anyways.

Attachments

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Glad to see ya finally getting to build another rig for yourself John :beer:, Hope to wheel with ya up at Rausch sometime in the near future. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks familiar :) Good to see you working on this John.
It should, LOL. same lack of suspension lift and tires

What's up John? Glad to see you are still alive and kicking. Looking forward to your build. Your last Runner was mean.
Things are going well. Thanks for the compliment it is still running around there somewhere on the Windward side from what I understand.

Glad to see ya finally getting to build another rig for yourself John :beer:, Hope to wheel with ya up at Rausch sometime in the near future. :grinpimp:
definitely, It has been a long time coming.

Started installing my Corbeau Ultra SS's last weekend. I originally intended to modify the stock brackets but think it will only work on the driver side as I need to have the passenger side move 14" forward for passenger access to the back, any ideas?. The driver side sits about 1" taller than the stock seats which is not a bad thing. Everything is just tacked together and unfinished in these pics as I was not sure how well it would work and don't like to spend alot of time on finishing things until I know how well they work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Would having the passenger seat flip forward give enough access? I'm thinking hinge the front of the mounts and use door latches or seat belt latches to lock the rear down. Then just push/pull/whatever the release for the latches and flip the seat forward for access.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I am in the same boat right now with my seats (PRP).

They are too tall to flip forward far enough to let a passenger in the back and dont give much room to move forward with the steering wheel in the way.

Also I am not sure how I would mount my shoulder harnesses. My only thought is to make them mount to a extension of the seat that would move with them forward....:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would having the passenger seat flip forward give enough access? I'm thinking hinge the front of the mounts and use door latches or seat belt latches to lock the rear down. Then just push/pull/whatever the release for the latches and flip the seat forward for access.
I am in the same boat right now with my seats (PRP).

They are too tall to flip forward far enough to let a passenger in the back and dont give much room to move forward with the steering wheel in the way.

Also I am not sure how I would mount my shoulder harnesses. My only thought is to make them mount to a extension of the seat that would move with them forward....:confused:
Exactly, the Corbeau Ultra is to big to flip forward. I was out in the shop last night and may have a design that allows the seat to slide forward using 1.5" and 1.75" tube. the seat belts would have to move with the seat though as well.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
So do you see a problem with the belts attatched to the seat frame?

I had a idea of 1" DOM that would loop up from the bottom of the seat to give mounting points for the shoulder harnesses.

It is that or just make the passengers climb in from the rear and make a traditional X or - for the belts to attach to.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I like your builds... looking forward to see how this turns out.

What are your plans for keeping it 'PA street legal'? From my experience they don't like the bumper height being over 30 inches and tires sticking out past the fenders, atleast that's what they keep telling me :laughing:

I've never been hassled about not having mud flaps but IMO that may show them that you are 'trying' to keep it legal and they will leave you alone.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts

What are your plans for keeping it 'PA street legal'? From my experience they don't like the bumper height being over 30 inches and tires sticking out past the fenders, atleast that's what they keep telling me :laughing:

I've never been hassled about not having mud flaps but IMO that may show them that you are 'trying' to keep it legal and they will leave you alone.
I think that sounds a lot like the laws in Hawaii, so I would imagine its second nature. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey john. good to see youre back in the saddle again after the move. havent seen you online in a while. im most definitely watching this build. what kind of link setup are you planning on running in the front? what about the rear?

and btw...youre old runner is still being put to use on the Windward side :smokin:

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,697 Posts
Started installing my Corbeau Ultra SS's last weekend. I originally intended to modify the stock brackets but think it will only work on the driver side as I need to have the passenger side move 14" forward for passenger access to the back, any ideas?. The driver side sits about 1" taller than the stock seats which is not a bad thing.
How easy is it to get into those seats through the door? I've heard those high-sided seats aren't easy to access in a DD-type vehicle. I've got similar MasterCrafts in my buggy, but I climb in through the "window" opening, so it's no problem. They're definitely comfy!! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
216 Posts
right on KAJO! great that ur able to continue making the guys in Hawaii jealous with ur custom toyota creations.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your last 1st Gen Runner was great insperation for my build. I cant wait to see what you make of this 1.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So do you see a problem with the belts attatched to the seat frame?

I had a idea of 1" DOM that would loop up from the bottom of the seat to give mounting points for the shoulder harnesses.

It is that or just make the passengers climb in from the rear and make a traditional X or - for the belts to attach to.
That is what I am thinking as well using 1" tube. I am thinking of just one diagonal from the driver side rocker up to the Passenger side roof line and have a bracket tie into it to support the seat belts some how. we will see.

Bumper height will be below 30" and I will massage the fenders to ensure my Tube work which will be the fender flare does not exceed 3" out form it. I will also put on removable mudflaps.

hey john. good to see youre back in the saddle again after the move. havent seen you online in a while. im most definitely watching this build. what kind of link setup are you planning on running in the front? what about the rear?

and btw...youre old runner is still being put to use on the Windward side :smokin:
That is good to hear that it is still being put to use. It loved Waikane mud :LOL. The front will be a 3-link with Panhard. The rear may be a 3 link as well I am still thinking about it.

nice start Kajo. any longs in that list?
Nope, I will be running Dirty 30's since I am a Trail Gear dealer. I need to show what I sell works and if it doesn't I will provide honest feedback to my customers.

How easy is it to get into those seats through the door? I've heard those high-sided seats aren't easy to access in a DD-type vehicle. I've got similar MasterCrafts in my buggy, but I climb in through the "window" opening, so it's no problem. They're definitely comfy!! :grinpimp:
I have gotten in and out of the seats and it is not to bad. I know once my sliders are mounted it will be easier to step up, and once the cage is done there will be something to grab onto to make it easier. My original intention was the Baja RSs but I had a customer back out of these and since they were in the shop I will give them a shot.

I didn't get much done today on this. I was working on a winch plate for a Ford Ranger today. I did cut out the front firewall and mounted the rear tires though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 318 Posts