Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
1 2 3 4 5
02/13/2018
Ryan
Absolutely terrible tread life. Had them on my dodge 3500 dually for 8 months and are down to about 30% tread, if that. Mostly highway and some city driving as well as moderate towing. Rotated every 6k Miles. Put maybe 15,000 Miles on them total. Tires are sweet looking when they actually have tread. What a waste of $1,700. Will NEVER buy these tires again.

·
Premium Member
29,254 Posts
well a cheap tire called "mud hog" doesn't sound like something well suited for mostly highway and some city driving and towing :confused:

anybody use them offroad for hoggin' mud or climbing rocks?

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well a cheap tire called "mud hog" doesn't sound like something well suited for mostly highway and some city driving and towing :confused:

anybody use them offroad for hoggin' mud or climbing rocks?
No shit, this is still a rock crawling site, right?

The fact that they wore quickly is a plus for me, hopefully that means soft tread that hooks up on rocks.

As far as the pizza cutter comment, well there are tons of 40x13.5s and bfg make some 40x12.5 race tires. I like the size actually.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’ve been waiting for these to come out in this size. If I can find them locally locally of with cheap shipping I’ll be picking up a set for my runner. I’m just a poser anyways so if they wear fast on the road that’s okay.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been waiting for these to come out in this size. If I can find them locally locally of with cheap shipping I’ll be picking up a set for my runner. I’m just a poser anyways so if they wear fast on the road that’s okay.
Did you click the link? Shipping was pretty cheap for me at least.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
1 2 3 4 5
02/13/2018
Ryan
Absolutely terrible tread life. Had them on my dodge 3500 dually for 8 months and are down to about 30% tread, if that. Mostly highway and some city driving as well as moderate towing. Rotated every 6k Miles. Put maybe 15,000 Miles on them total. Tires are sweet looking when they actually have tread. What a waste of $1,700. Will NEVER buy these tires again.
Bad review is hardly surprising on a vehicle that tends to devour tires almost as bad as a diesel TTB with saggy springs...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Bad review is hardly surprising on a vehicle that tends to devour tires almost as bad as a diesel TTB with saggy springs...
That and the fact that shitty tread life = soft compound = good offfroad tire typically. I'm glad a manufacturer is creating a tire that doesn't wear like iron in that size. Anymore it seems like all the big tires are designed to be run on 7-8k pound trucks and don't work for shit on actual wheelers.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
10 ply, light truck tires don't seem to flex well. Not sure I'd want this on my wheeler, soft compound or not.

Seems every tire manufacturer in the world is now a 'off road' tire maker.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10 ply, light truck tires don't seem to flex well. Not sure I'd want this on my wheeler, soft compound or not.

Seems every tire manufacturer in the world is now a 'off road' tire maker.
I was a little worried about that with my 41.5 pitbulls that were D rated, but drop them to 2 psi in the snow and they were nice and flat.

32 per tire for between 8 and 10 tires. If your serious about getting a set I’d be down to order 8-10 and split them to save on shipping.
Thanks for the offer, but it says $39 ea for 5 tires. I'm not sure the extra hassle of trying to combine orders is worth saving a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am looking at these tires too.... I talked to the guys at Dixie 4WD in St. George cos I noticed they are a dealer and have a coupla sets on their JKU builds.... they are also running the 39x12.50R17 and they do look narrow but this increases contact pressure which increases traction. They confirmed that they are soft, sticky and not a hi mileage tire.... A key word here? Yep... Sticky. Music to my ears.

Now as far as the E load rating? my PBRR's in 37" flavor are E rated and flex great at 8-10 PSI but as mentioned above have a thick carcass and are tougher than the C or D tires I have tried in the past. I will only run a E rated tire if I can help it.. I also read that the new BFG KM3 will be E rated exclusively for this reason....

I am wanting the 39x13.50R20 however since I acquired a set of 20" TR's recently and prefer a the shorter sidewall for my kind of wheelin. Plus I have a theory on tire sizing specs that may happen on the pipe dream tire that may never exist. The 40" PBRR.... :rolleyes: This 39x13.50R20 size is $280 per so I believe I will give them a shot as soon as I get my 20"s ready.

Hope to find more feedback on them in the mean time..... :stirpot:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts