Pirate 4x4 banner

721 - 740 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Newb question, but any info on the front axle shafts and the upgraded joints? Id love to do a search on them but Ive never seen them. Are they street speed safe?

Then I can do a search for more info...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks VERY sweet. Not a whole lot of front end flex in the pix. (as discussed earlier in this thread) I'm anxious to hear how she does on the shakedown run...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It just plain kicked ass. It is much smaller in person than it looks in pictures, and looks 10 times nicer too. I have to admit though, Kate 1.0-6.0 has worked darn well every time, and Nolen - while a lousy spotter ;) - can drive well.

Ed

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
Great shakedown run. Probably not smart to shake down with Dibble and this bunch. We hit is hard and she did fantastic.

The front is working OK, but I need the sway bar to force it to work better. Air shocks aremounted wrong and too low to get the front to work right. It is a work in progress to dial it in perfectly I know. I need to trim the grill 4" out of the middle to get it and the bezel inside the front hoop. If I let the air shocks up and allow it to flex out, it will tear the front out of the rig, so that needs to be narrowed when we fix the air bumps.

Nothing mechanically went wrong at all. I found one hose that was out of place and the fan was rubbing it, one ZIP tie and it is fine.

The skicky Krawlers kick ass. Really cool tires, but I think I took off $40 worth of rubber per tire this weekend, so I doubt they will last a year.

As for the helpful fella that said the swiss cheese front bumper has to go, thanks for the insight. :rolleyes:

We are gonna get the winch on, swaybar and rework the air bumps over the next 2 weeks before the ICBM run on the 22nd.

My low belly got me in some places where others just walked, but overall, this little guy will hang with the best of them, I just have to learn how to drive it again ;)

I know Dan Dibble has a ton of pictures, I just have a few and will post them up................

Attachments

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
I called Lance up to run the camera here. After I went up this sick waterfall, I had to ride the bak to get around a tree and I ended up nearly on my side.

Of course it doesn't look like anything in the pictures :shaking:

Rock taxi said "Cut hard left and floor it"

He was right ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Congratulations! Looks even better on the rocks.

So, the belly is a little low for some of those protruding boulders? Why is the hood lut of alignment? Frame/tube flex?

I missed exactly what you mean regarding any need to narrow the grill to accommodate the front hoop.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
Last one till I get some in from the others. All in all, I give it an A- until the sway bar and the air bumps are worked out. :smokin:

I am super pleased. We will weigh it next week trail ready...............

Heather is a trooper......with Dibble around we needed some chicks and rigs pics :D

Attachments

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
4x4Poet said:
Congratulations! Looks even better on the rocks.

So, the belly is a little low for some of those protruding boulders? Why is the hood lut of alignment? Frame/tube flex?

I missed exactly what you mean regarding any need to narrow the grill to accommodate the front hoop.
Being low is a trade off. I only had a problem once and that was on a vertical ledge and the combo of 105" wheelbase and the low belly would not even allow me to get up on it where I could try to gas it up. A little more WB or bellyclearance and I would have been able to do it. That said, that was the only situation I came up on this weekend that the rig did not spank.

Hood it out because I used to have Dzus fasteners keeing it flush. I trimmed the hood to make it straight and it is not flush with the fender tube. I will have a gap, but I will also add Dzus' to pull the sides in later. There is zero flex in this rigs frame/chassis.

I will have to narrow the grill if I want more than 2-3" of uptravel. Right now it is limited to keep it out of the grill when I turn. Here is what it looks like now stuffed and with 250# in the air shock.

Attachments

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Eskimo said:
As long as putting it on its side, but driving out of it does NOT count as a roll (I don't count that as really a flop if you drive out of it), I'll take you up on that...

You can pay me at the roundup :flipoff2:
Thanks for your confidence. I had 2 real near misses and the LT1 rescued me. If I had been running a manual tranny I would have lost it both times. One time would have really hurt :p

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #731
sleeoffroad said:
Hi Nolan, I have first dibs on that axle and full hydro setup when you upgrade in January.
I personally don't think there is an upgrade at this time over this axle. It is 315# soaking wet and bulletproof :D I bound it up like mad all weekend and it held up great.

Try again my favorite African-American ;)

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
jbt said:
Do you think it will last that long when he do the shakedown run with Dan Dibble :D
Probably not the wisest move I have ever made, but it worked out thank goodness :D

Dan is a wild man no-doubt. All the hammer time I have would not make up for one day in his rig :laughing:

Attachments

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
lilgreenjeepyj said:
Newb question, but any info on the front axle shafts and the upgraded joints? Id love to do a search on them but Ive never seen them. Are they street speed safe?

Then I can do a search for more info...
www.sunrayengineering.com

Check under 1550 axle information.

Yes, they are street safe, no sweat. Cost less than a Custom D60 knuckled axle with Moly shafts and CTMs with equal strength.

·
Registered
66 Posts
looks bad ass

glad the skake down went relatively trouble free.

if you narrow your grill, even by 3-4"

will you taper your bonnet as well ?

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
planb said:
looks bad ass

glad the skake down went relatively trouble free.
t
if you narrow your grill, even by 3-4"

will you taper your bonnet as well ?
No, that is just too involved. I think it will look OK, but looks is the main reason I tried not to narrow it at all, but I cannot live with the front end performance as is just for 4" of grill/bezel.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Glad to hear that all went well. Bummed I could not make it - but I think ICBM is more my speed for a shake down... The Cheesehead Invasion will be a good real test. :D Lots to do in the next two weeks! :eek:

721 - 740 of 914 Posts