Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rebuilding of an 82 Toyota pickup that had been parted out I purchased in order to build my amazing gf a crawler. She has wheeled my truck a few times with me there and did pretty good and had a lot of fun doing it. She has ridden with me several times now and been to Clayton OK, Katemcy rocks (K2) in Mason TX, Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer TX and a couple other places with me. Her second trip out ever in her life, I flopped it on the driver side, slammed it in reverse and cut the wheel and righted it only to go back to first and flop it again and then got wedged in and needed a tug. She handled it GREAT!

I have been a Toyota Land Cruiser fanatic since 2006 when I purchased my first one from a friend from high school who drove an FJ40 all through school. I had previously owned jeep Cherokees, 3 of them actually, and I'm glad I found the light! I always wanted a mini to build so I finally found the right reason to do it.

Truck is an 82 and was once crawler with stacked cases and some bfg crawlers and other do-dads. I never saw it wheel only pics. I was told it was the shiznit...

I am gonna try and build it as inexpensive as possible, but anyone who has ever built anything knows that can sometimes go out the window. Haven't decided on much of anything other than I WILL make this a wheeler again.

I have the engine and 5 speed from it, but neither are back in it. This is how it currently sits. But the engine is in the bed of the truck. Lol

Trent T.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right after I loaded it on the trailer.

This is it in Clayton with one of the previous owners when it still was together. (I didn't take these pics, they were sent to me by the person I bought it from.)

Black sheep

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Katy's first time to wheel my truck. I had to force her to drive, then 5 minutes later she is saying "can we go faster?" LOL

Gilmer TX 3-2-13

My rig is the Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 on the left, this was her second trail to ever run. I just sat there and told her to figure it out. Went right up it with no problems. Trail is "Jeep Eater"

Us at motocross in Feb 2013 Cowboys stadium

This may be a kinda slow build but it WILL get done. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Black Sheep:19050049 said:
That truck was bad ass. Which is why it's old axles are now underneath my '84, you have a hellavu lot of work ahead of you.
It's only time and money right? Lol

Yea there are some odds and ends that were cut and ripped out that will be a major nuisance from when it was stripped, but I think I can work through them. All the hard lines were cut for the brakes, wiring for the engine was cut in places and who knows what all else. But i will have to deal with that when I get to that point. Goal right now is to make a roller.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ain't much but it is progress. :grinpimp:

Picked up Katy's new clutch kit. We now have an engine that I am told smokes, a clutch kit, and transmission. A friend says he has a t-case too I just need more money for it. And making it a roller and getting axles under it is more important to me right now too.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some pics I took last week so I could kinda have some reference of what I was gonna be working with.

Insert something here about being so "hood"...

more crap in the truck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I gotta say, a lot more of it is there than one would think. But it is the brake lines that were cut, and some of the electrical that was cut that will really be a beating.

That said, I found another truck for a more than fair price I am going to be picking up. I am told it has no windshield and the floor boards are pretty rusted but it comes with another cab. So I told him I would buy it, it is a complete running and driving (well was 10 months ago) truck. What is missing right now are wheels and tires. I am sure with some starting fluid I can bring it back to life enough to get it loaded and home where I can look at it some more and get it going right again. I figure between 3 cabs, and 2 frames I cam make something out of all of it.

Honestly it will all have to be done in my driveway and my neighbors dont usually like that so whatever I do would have to be done pretty quick. so a possible floor board transplant may be in order vs a cab swap. and the rust areas may be patched from cutting sections from the other cabs onto the "new" only thing that would negate that would really be condition of the frame. I haven't a clue the frame of the 81 I intend to purchase, so if it is the same or similar the 82 may become the donor for some of the metal and tube.

Gettin pretty stoked as this seems to be happening much quicker than I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Cool stuff. I wondered who picked that truck up.

Jeep Eater is a great trail to start on at Gilmer. I puckered the first time I did it night wheeling.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool stuff. I wondered who picked that truck up.

Jeep Eater is a great trail to start on at Gilmer. I puckered the first time I did it night wheeling.
There was enough there where she had to pay attention. I think when she wheels the pickup with an open front and with smaller tires on a rig with standard power steering maybe ram assist it will be enlightening. LOL She has only ever driven my truck in its semi built form. That meaning tons, full hydro, dual cases, bigger rubber ect. Hopefully she doesn't get mad when she can't follow us as easily... :shaking: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.