Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at two in the 800 dollar range. a 96 kdx200 and a 90 dr350s

both in good shape.

Target use will be 50% <55mph street <10 mile commute; 30% trail riding on sandy rocky long trails;20% back country woods hill climbing.

My big concern is tagging. The dr appears to already be tagged as the guy says it has never been off road and has 3500 miles on it. Not sure if it has dirt size wheels or street size.

The KDX200 has working headlight and tail light, but I am unsure of what it would take to put a tag on it.
I'm living in michigan, but I tag and insure everything in Kansas. Anyone with insight?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Bikes

I'd go for the one already set up for street. It cost more $$ than you think to add the extras to make it street legal. Plus inspections. My .02

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The Suzuki will be the better street bike.
The KDX will be a better dirt bike, but it sounds like your wants in a dirt bike is pretty mellow (not a bad thing) so the DR could be the better bike IF its been maintained good.

2 strokes are super easy to maintain

the DR has a key and steering lock

**Edit, shit for $800 and it has 3500 miles on it, get the DR!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
The DR is the way to go for what you want to do. Teh KDX is a better dirtbike but will require more money to get street leagl, if that's even possible. I know here in WA it's not.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
How big are you?

That 200 wouldn't haul my ass at 55mph so it wouldn't matter...

I'd go for the Suzuki.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, they're not as bad ass as say a KTM 200, but the KDX is pretty quick.

Plating the KDX depends on the requirements where you're licensing it, my dad got a plate for his, all he had to do was pay for it. Hasn't put it on because he doesn't have mirrors or turn signals... or the desire to burn through good dirt tires riding on the street.

For a commuter, I'd go with the DR, 2 strokes simply aren't as good on gas or as smooth on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts