Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time on the trail will be in a couple weeks. I've never heard people talk about problems with bears, but I know they're out there.

To what degree do I need to keep our food safe from bears? I'll put locks on my Yeti and keep it away from the vehicle at night. I usually put the dry food in a bag and hang it from a tree. Sufficient, or do I need to bring the bear canister and hang it from a tree? Other ideas?

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Ok
Just an observation...
Sig\avatar states zeuss of the sluice......
Post count +3k
Never been on the trail????

Hang yer stuff, I never had an issue, seen some heavy sign.
Had yoggie in my truck bed june of 16 on wentworth.
Uh, those are set automatically by post count.....

But ya, op, just do what you said, should be fine.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
A dozen trips on the Con, 1 bear visit. Had a bear visit us at Loon Lake after a Nocibur run in 1997 or 1998!!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
We had two seperate bears at loon early july. One ran off with a bunch of food.
Mid july we camped at wws. No bears but we had a big group. We always stay up late So usually they dont come around.

Also have a habit of shoving the coolers under the rigs and if camping at buck or mid trail stringing the food in a tree. The bears at buck are usually around

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just camp next to the guy who Leaves all his food shit out and you'll be fine. Yogi will go for the low hanging fruit. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
They are most definitely around. I've had a few run ins over the years. For the most part they don't want anything to do with us but with that said they can get ballsy.

In my opinion some of the Bears in the area have with out a doubt become "Trash bears" and know the area. Spider, Red Fir, Loon, Buck are all hot spots for these hungry fellas. They are sneaky. I have been amazed by their stealth. They've even been in our camp, raided us all the while dogs sleeping.

Most of the time a simple yell, some banging with pots and pans will get rid of them. With that said, I have had them take steps back in my direction and need a little extra encouragement to piss off. Do what you can to not encourage them into camp but remember some of these bears know what camps are and will come in even without smells.

Watch out for Mommas and their cubs. They are out there and its "Worst Case". We had a Momma and two cubs come into camp early morning and I will tell you I was pretty unnerved. Momma was not happy. My dog took off after one of the cubs and luckily momma and the other cub went with. Up the tree they went. Was pretty amazing watching Momma help her cubs get up the tree. We had to leave camp so they could come down.

Cliche I know but "Its there home and you're in it".

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
working on a sling system to suspend the best goodies over a limb(w/o hurting tree) and use winch line to elevate the goodies. we've seen two rigs linked and suspend a cooler above a ravine. not that easy to do if its heavy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We ratchet strap the lids down and secure the chest under a rig. Had a cinnamon come into camp at buck island by the spill way mid day years ago, It took off after yelling at him.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
They are most definitely around. I've had a few run ins over the years. For the most part they don't want anything to do with us but with that said they can get ballsy.

In my opinion some of the Bears in the area have with out a doubt become "Trash bears" and know the area. Spider, Red Fir, Loon, Buck are all hot spots for these hungry fellas. They are sneaky. I have been amazed by their stealth. They've even been in our camp, raided us all the while dogs sleeping.

Most of the time a simple yell, some banging with pots and pans will get rid of them. With that said, I have had them take steps back in my direction and need a little extra encouragement to piss off. Do what you can to not encourage them into camp but remember some of these bears know what camps are and will come in even without smells.

Watch out for Mommas and their cubs. They are out there and its "Worst Case". We had a Momma and two cubs come into camp early morning and I will tell you I was pretty unnerved. Momma was not happy. My dog took off after one of the cubs and luckily momma and the other cub went with. Up the tree they went. Was pretty amazing watching Momma help her cubs get up the tree. We had to leave camp so they could come down.

Cliche I know but "Its there home and you're in it".

Those 2 pics totally got me, I was thinking "God damn, 4 bears in one tree!" :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
There was actually three. Momma and two cubs. Look closely in this pic and you can see them all ;)

I actually felt bad for the momma. As she sat there on the limb we could see her clearly panting in fear. Thats why we left and let them come down. Call me a big softy ;)

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Don't forget about your trash and wag bag bucket (if you use one). Bears are just as attracted, if not more, to these as they are to food.

That being said, this has been a mellow bear year for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i saw a bear on my way out of the con by loon lake two weeks ago. There was a camp site torn up looking by the top of Cadillac hill. That being said i just had my food in the cooler and tots and have never had any issues. What your doing should be more then enough.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
There was a camp site torn up looking by the top of Cadillac hill.
Interesting story there...that camp was left by two backpackers from the bay area who walked in, set up their camp, went day hiking, and couldn't find their way back to their camp. So they just went home and left it there. :laughing:

Jeepers Jamboree cleaned up the mess and returned what was left to the owner after a welfare check and contact by the local PD.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
Interesting story there...that camp was left by two backpackers from the bay area who walked in, set up their camp, went day hiking, and couldn't find their way back to their camp. So they just went home and left it there. :laughing:

Jeepers Jamboree cleaned up the mess and returned what was left to the owner after a welfare check and contact by the local PD.
OMG....That's almost like the 2 guys who bought brand new Honda motorcycles at Carmichael Honda, new gear, etc...and tried to do the "Rubicon", saw Cadillac Hill and went back to main camp, and paid the helicopter $$$$ to bring their bikes to Observation.

I saw the tents on Saturday going down to Rubithon. I thought it might be Jamboree crew to bring lunch stuff...shrugged it off and kept going. Then 5 days later, I came down on Thursday and on the way out....saw it again...chairs knocked over, but I don't recall any trash.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Funny, When I showed up in DD on Wed for Rubithon the place was empty cept for 2 backpackers. Couple kids that had hiked from Loon. They were eating MRE's so I fed em a steak dinner. Not same group but funny coincidence.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts

Heard about a dude losing a motorcycle on Post Pile and almost dying until he came across the FOTR cabin.....lmao ;)

What a hot mess that was :shaking:

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Heard about a dude losing a motorcycle on Post Pile and almost dying until he came across the FOTR cabin.....lmao ;)

What a hot mess that was :shaking:
Yes it was. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Remember Baby Daddy, Momma, and kid who walked from the springs to the cell tree to call for a helicopter ride from the CHP so they could walk back to the springs to meet the helicopter?

Edit: Apparently these two backpackers looked for their camp for two days before they bailed and went home.

·
Registered
768 Posts
OMG....That's almost like the 2 guys who bought brand new Honda motorcycles at Carmichael Honda, new gear, etc...and tried to do the "Rubicon", saw Cadillac Hill and went back to main camp, and paid the helicopter $$$$ to bring their bikes to Observation.
I saw that. Was hiking around the springs and noticed the helo heading towards observation with something long lined below it. When I got back to camp I heard the story. They apparently couldn't get the bikes up the steep climb at Morris rock. As I recall, there was a bit of a lip at the bottom of that section that year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts