Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone goes bashing me to search I have been for days.

Well I'm thinking about putting a PVC snorkel on my 87 stepside. The problem is I cant seem to find pictures of my style cab with any snorkel on it. Right now I'm drawn between a PVC setup, incab setup, and old school muscle car like closed air filter housing with the two open intakes. What do you guys run because I havent seen much. I've been searching for days and not to much by the way of pictures...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
go to google.com click images and type chevy snorkel
then hit enter
edit: I got 18,500 hits... 4th one was a blazer like your stepside
Looking for pics of a homemade one... I guess I'm gonna have to thumb threw 18,000 pictures to find it since a bunch of random shit comes up. I just thought it would be easier for someone with a snorkeled truck to throw some pics up.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Looking for pics of a homemade one... I guess I'm gonna have to thumb threw 18,000 pictures to find it since a bunch of random shit comes up. I just thought it would be easier for someone with a snorkeled truck to throw some pics up.
Problem is on the chevy crown not many have them ....

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
do a in-cab intake.

if you can breath air, so can it. if it gets to the point the truck is dying, you shouldnt be in the truck. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of doing and incab but I've heard if you have any sort of carb backfire ect you get fumed. I may make a disconnect or something and run an old camaro/corvette ram air cleaner into the dash and make the lines disconnectable.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
ok, lets just ask ourselves a couple of questions here:

Is there a true need for a snorkle?

Do you ford 6 foot deep streams every day?

are you willing to try to seal the ignition and computer on this machine to keep it running?

answer EACH of those questions.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I was thinking of doing and incab but I've heard if you have any sort of carb backfire ect you get fumed. I may make a disconnect or something and run an old camaro/corvette ram air cleaner into the dash and make the lines disconnectable.
Complete bull shit.

I have been running a TBI factory snorkle thru my firewall for years. I have gotten several carb backfires and never had a problem. Worst thing about carb backfire does is shoot air at the passengers knees scaring them.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
are you willing to try to seal the ignition and computer on this machine to keep it running?
Shit, there is alot more to it than that. Quick list:

Fuel tank vents
Any other vent on the engine like charcole canaster, valve cover breather
radiator overflow tank
power steering res
axle, tranny, trans vents
engine & tranny dipstick
if running a manual you have to seal the top of the shift tower
altinator (witch is VERY hard to seal)
every electrical connection in the rig needs to be sealed
drain systems need to be put in everything that can't be sealed
you realy shoulden't run a factor guage cluster...sealed guages
no heater/ac box
plastic seats are a good idea

That's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Is there a true need for a snorkle?
Nope he just wants to look cool like the jeep guys :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah I dont truly need a snorkel at the top of my windshield thats why I'm trying to avoid doing it. I want to do something because I hit a sudden drop in a mudhole last weekend and the water splashed my open element and stalled my truck out.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Nah I dont truly need a snorkel at the top of my windshield thats why I'm trying to avoid doing it. I want to do something because I hit a sudden drop in a mudhole last weekend and the water splashed my open element and stalled my truck out.
tupperware.

costs like 6 bucks

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
well,shit... not tupperware, but rubbermaid... same shit, different name...

this is what we use on some of our mud racers to keep water off the air filter element. works great. If installed correctly, you can cover the distributor, too.

One of our local racetracks likes to dig a hole, fill it with water, and call it a mud race. guys that dont have this type of setup ruin engines. for the cost, you cant beat it.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
take the lid off....

put the bottom of it (upside down) over the carb and air filter element with the nut removed so you can get a view of the stud where it comes close to the bottom of the pan. jf you put it on after making sure the distributor clears, you will be able to cover it too.

mark a spot where the stud will fit.

drill a hole where you marked it.

slip it over the stud, and put a nut on it to hold it down.

the water will have to go under it and up into the carb area to hit the air filter.

water generally wont go up into the filter area unless you drown the engine to the point where it wont be able to pull fresh air. a wave of water can wash over it and never get it wet.

I will try and get my camera over to the jeep thats got it on it, and get some pictures... I use a diamond plate aluminum cover that i built years ago. but my camera isnt here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts