Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda remember reading somewhere that you could take a vin number to the toyota dealer and they could supply you with a key.
I called the local toyota dealer and they didnt know anything about it, but that doesnt suprise me.

anyone know if this is possible and if so, where I could call to get one.
btw: this is for a 76 fj55

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Go down to your local locksmith. Say you need them to make a new key.
Sit down and watch as they put a blank into your ignition, twist it, then pull it out and file it down until it works. Takes about 10 min.

It is almost scary how easy it is..

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I tried everywhere to get a copy made of the key of my 69 FJ-40 but no one could do it. Went to the Toyota dealership and parts house and to a place that can do keys for older cars, but no one had a key that was close to it enough to make one. Ended up putting a new switch from Tractor Supply Co. Granted it will be easy to hot wire, but I doubt a car theif can get the cruiser started...I bairly can and its mine:D

Joseph

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this one is on the column. there is a guy out in front of picknpull that makes keys, I could use as a backup. but If I could just order one from the office, that would be much easier.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Only recent(88ish+) vintage Toyota can the key code be gotten from the VIN.

Others(like fj60's, maybe pre 1980's 55/40) you can pull the clyinder and get the code off that.

Or on my old fj45 I just ordered a new cylinder for $20ish and it came with 2 keys.

You can order(or they may have in stock) key blanks from the dealer, but you need your key for a master to cut a new one from.

On my 65 fj40......I CAN'T get a key(SPARE) at all, aftermarket or new, we got the last blank in the Toyota system....and buggered it up..Doh!

John H

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Landpimp said:
Only recent(88ish+) vintage Toyota can the key code be gotten from the VIN.

Others(like fj60's, maybe pre 1980's 55/40) you can pull the clyinder and get the code off that.

Or on my old fj45 I just ordered a new cylinder for $20ish and it came with 2 keys.

You can order(or they may have in stock) key blanks from the dealer, but you need your key for a master to cut a new one from.

On my 65 fj40......I CAN'T get a key(SPARE) at all, aftermarket or new, we got the last blank in the Toyota system....and buggered it up..Doh!

John H
Did you try these guys?
Key Men

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i got a broken of key for a door lock and it was cheaper to buy a whole new lock than have a key made

btw manafre locks suck

·
Registered
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more question for you guys.
If I get a key made for the ignition, is it the same key for the doors and gas tank door?

·
Banned
471 Posts
About your keys

The dealer can get you a blank but you need the code from whatever component you are trying to get a key for. i.e. ignition
switch, rear doors are differant keys. the ignition ket will work in the fuel filler door but the rear door key is a different looking key.
usually a squarish type head and the ignition is either round or has a large wide head.

kruzrtek

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
When I needed a new key for my 95 pickup, I went to the dealer I purchased the truck at and between my VIN code and some other information they were able to cut a key from the numbers and not use my worn old one. They did say that without the key cutting numbers they gave me, any dealer other than the one I purchased the truck from could NOT have come up with the codes and would have had to "trace" another key.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Pull the passenger door lock cylinder out. It will have in small numbers stamped on it the key code. for instance mine says K3333 on it. go to the dealer with that code and have them make it. BTW: the outer door lock and gas door key blank on FJ55's is discontinued. go to a lock smith and get it made. it will be different than the ignition lock on your FJ55.

-Brett

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get your Keys here!

In Salt Lake City, UT., there is a place called Glens Key Lock and Safe and he has all the blank key blanks for old Toyotas. You can PM me for the number. BTW, it is just down the street from CruiserOutfitters.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Acout Glens lock and key

Glens is down the road from the old Cruiser Outfitters.
I think he's down the street from DJ's Traction systems.
About 1300 S. and 300W.

Kruzrtek(works for DJ's !! Ha-Ha-Ha!!! LOL!!!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts