Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I’m finally slowly getting starting on my 1990 4runner build so I thought I would start a build thread. Oh and props to those that know what Khione means.

A little bit of background information: I am 18 and I just started my freshman year of college and at the same time I work about 25-30 hours a week at a hospital to pay for rent, living expenses, and to fund the 4runner build, so I don’t have a lot of free time. Whenever I can, I make a 45 minute drive to my dad’s shop to work on my 4runner, so this will be a somewhat slow build. A couple years ago I got a 1989 ex-cab pickup with a solid axle and a 4.3, and since then I have pretty much been fixing and re-doing everything on it, but I have learned a lot in the last few years. So now I’m trying to sell my pickup and build a 4runner for a couple reasons. I wanted something with four doors and I wanted to have something that I can say “I built that”.
Here is my 89’ that I daily drive

And here is my 1990 4runner the day I picked it up for $1300. It will also be a daily driver. It is really clean and I’m looking forward to having electric windows and remote/electric locks haha.

The plan is:
5.3 chevy vortec
700r4
Twin-sticked Ford 205
Ford Dana 60 front
14 bolt rear
14” coilovers in the front, some sort of coil spring in the back.
Tires are going to be a set of 38” Toyo M/Ts

I got the 3.0 removed as well as the auto transmission and transfercase.

Now there is a spot for the new power-plant to go. :smokin:

I picked up a 5.3 vortec with 50,000 miles complete with all accessories, harness, and computer.

So I started cleaning it up because I swear I have OCD and I like my stuff looking nice lol

Here it is almost pieced back together. I still have to do some work to the water pump before I put it back on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I’m going to be running a 700r4. I picked this up and it was pretty filthy, so I spent a couple hours with a wire brush and some crud kutter cleaning it.

I have been trying to collect parts ever since I got the 4runner earlier this year.
I got a hydraulic assist ram from surplus center

And I ordered ruffstuff brackets during their black-Friday sale. I will be running a front and rear 3-link.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You must have some big khione's to take this build on:flipoff2:
Great start looking forward to the rest of the build..

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
Very cool. You got that motor and tranny looking brand new.
Looking forward to seeing your build. Since everything will be so clean, we'll actually be able to SEE everything. :laughing:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys hopefully this thread will keep me motivated

·
Registered
218 Posts
Subscribed. lookin pretty sweet, nice job on the small details. Its gonna come out fuckin sweeeet

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got a little more done this weekend, not too much though. I got the 5.3 ready so that it can take the water temp sending unit and oil pressure line when it's in.

Here is the oil pressure fitting threaded into a metric plug that I drilled and tapped.

And here are the adapters and fittings setup so that the water temp sending unit can go in. I drilled and tapped the block plug to 1/2" npt and adapted it down from there to 3/8" npt. It was a pain to get the block plug out because i had to make a 17mm allen wrench to fit it.

I also got my gauges in as well. I found out the hard way about how toyota does the factory lights backwards with the dimmer so my aftermarket ones were opposite when i had them wired through the dimmer.I didn't really feel like trying to make a voltage converter so i just wired them to the gauge light switched wire before the dimmer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my GM master cylinder adapter plate done. I'm using a 1 1/4" bore from a 3/4 ton. Bolts are 3/8" countersunk fine thread.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Finally read this thread and figured out who you are. Your dads the one with the amigo right? I bought the km2s from either you or your brother a couple years back. Goodluck on this build man!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally read this thread and figured out who you are. Your dads the one with the amigo right? I bought the km2s from either you or your brother a couple years back. Goodluck on this build man!
Yep you are exactly right! I was the one with the km2s. Thanks :smokin: Oh are you going to the swap meet again in march?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts