Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I’m finally slowly getting starting on my 1990 4runner build so I thought I would start a build thread. Oh and props to those that know what Khione means.

A little bit of background information: I am 18 and I just started my freshman year of college and at the same time I work about 25-30 hours a week at a hospital to pay for rent, living expenses, and to fund the 4runner build, so I don’t have a lot of free time. Whenever I can, I make a 45 minute drive to my dad’s shop to work on my 4runner, so this will be a somewhat slow build. A couple years ago I got a 1989 ex-cab pickup with a solid axle and a 4.3, and since then I have pretty much been fixing and re-doing everything on it, but I have learned a lot in the last few years. So now I’m trying to sell my pickup and build a 4runner for a couple reasons. I wanted something with four doors and I wanted to have something that I can say “I built that”.
Here is my 89’ that I daily drive

And here is my 1990 4runner the day I picked it up for $1300. It will also be a daily driver. It is really clean and I’m looking forward to having electric windows and remote/electric locks haha.

The plan is:
5.3 chevy vortec
700r4
Twin-sticked Ford 205
Ford Dana 60 front
14 bolt rear
14” coilovers in the front, some sort of coil spring in the back.
Tires are going to be a set of 38” Toyo M/Ts

I got the 3.0 removed as well as the auto transmission and transfercase.

Now there is a spot for the new power-plant to go. :smokin:

I picked up a 5.3 vortec with 50,000 miles complete with all accessories, harness, and computer.

So I started cleaning it up because I swear I have OCD and I like my stuff looking nice lol

Here it is almost pieced back together. I still have to do some work to the water pump before I put it back on.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I’m going to be running a 700r4. I picked this up and it was pretty filthy, so I spent a couple hours with a wire brush and some crud kutter cleaning it.

I have been trying to collect parts ever since I got the 4runner earlier this year.
I got a hydraulic assist ram from surplus center

And I ordered ruffstuff brackets during their black-Friday sale. I will be running a front and rear 3-link.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I got a little more done this weekend, not too much though. I got the 5.3 ready so that it can take the water temp sending unit and oil pressure line when it's in.

Here is the oil pressure fitting threaded into a metric plug that I drilled and tapped.

And here are the adapters and fittings setup so that the water temp sending unit can go in. I drilled and tapped the block plug to 1/2" npt and adapted it down from there to 3/8" npt. It was a pain to get the block plug out because i had to make a 17mm allen wrench to fit it.

I also got my gauges in as well. I found out the hard way about how toyota does the factory lights backwards with the dimmer so my aftermarket ones were opposite when i had them wired through the dimmer.I didn't really feel like trying to make a voltage converter so i just wired them to the gauge light switched wire before the dimmer.

· Registered
555 Posts
Finally read this thread and figured out who you are. Your dads the one with the amigo right? I bought the km2s from either you or your brother a couple years back. Goodluck on this build man!

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally read this thread and figured out who you are. Your dads the one with the amigo right? I bought the km2s from either you or your brother a couple years back. Goodluck on this build man!
Yep you are exactly right! I was the one with the km2s. Thanks :smokin: Oh are you going to the swap meet again in march?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.