Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK First Im not sure where this should be posted so I put it here. So here's the deal. I picked up a supposedly broken 2000 Kia Sportage for next to nothing. Died on the side of the road and they didnt want to mess with it so they dumped it. Its pretty clean few dings and dirty carpet, but supposedly everything else works. As far as the breakdown, so far it looks like the crank pulley bolt wasnt torqued when the timing belt was last changed, and the crank pully got loose, the timing belt started working forward through the cover and pushed an already loose alternator belt off causing the rig to die when the battery went flat. No biggie replaced a few parts and it starts. Were waiting for a new cover and we'll button it up and put some miles on it to see what we have.

So anyway we threw it up on the lift and started checking this little thing out. 2 1/4" x 5" fully boxed ladder frame with some pretty beefy cross members. Solid axle rear with a three link coil suspension. Were thinking of a 3" lift with 30-31s and turning it into a mild trail runner. Problem is, it's 2wd. After looking at it, it appears to be a simple bolt on to convert it to 4wd. Tranfer case, front drive shaft, third member, half shafts, 4wd spindles. Im looking at either finding a wrecked 4wd to get parts off of or pull-a-part.
We are also kicking around the idea of throwing a set of sammy axles under it with a little kubota diesel, but I dont think thats going to happen for at least a year or two, to many other things going on.

Have any of you guys ever messed with these little things? Ever done a 2wd to 4wd swap? Is it worth it or should I sell it and just buy a 4wd sportage? I have an XJ, so this is just a piss around high mpg (25-30 so Im told) DD that may have some mild off road capabilities.

Appreciate the wisdom.

·
Not a newbie!
766 Posts
How ironic, a buddy and I were talking about Kia's the other day. we figured you could buy one used and leave the title with a pen in the jockey box. they're cheap enough you could drive it till it blows then just sign the title, leave it on the side of the road and go buy another.

Sounds like maybe others are already doing it!!

I went out and looked at the neighbors sportage, I'm not sure I could even rock that and I come from a little hill billy hick town where 4x4 camaro's were common. Although the seats do look comfy and they do have some nice creature comforts.

Google: "Offroad Kia Sportage" Your not the only one out there...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Where you located?

Im currently building a Kia Sportage on Toyota axles with leaf springs front and rear.

Don't have too good of pics yet, Once I get it rolling Ill push it out of the garage for better pics. but you can get a idea. They do make 4" Lift kits to run a 31" tires problem is there is not to many gear options (5.38's are possible but you have to order them from korea.) These are fun little rigs. They are pretty torquey and have a true 4wd t-case with high-low-2h-4l. I haven't started a build thread but I have posted some photos on the Facebook Sportage group.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home is SC for a just a bit longer.
What are doing for drive train, engine, tranny, transfer case? Stock or something different? Did you start with a 4wd or 2wd? Lastly if 4wd what are you doing with all of your take offs?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Im still in the thinking part of the planning, Mine is a 4x4, I actually own two one is for parts the other is my Daily driver (Which is the one Im going to be actually doing the SAS on. The one pictured is my parts rig). Im planning on cutting the Kia T-Case in half and deleting the front output shaft and chain. and running a TX10A Nissan transfer case behind the kia t-case. (Doubler setup) Won't get me super low gearing but Will be 3.98:1 with both cases in low. Ill have more of what I need to do to accomplish the Solid axle swap once my new shiney welder is here, My old welder took a dump on me a few months ago.

Probably won't be too cost effective for you to ship my 4wd stuff but I Could Pallet everything you needed except for the Transmission and T-case and send it to you.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Been done to different extremes, there's at least one company I know of making lift kits for the little things. Know a guy with a Sportage for a wheeler that runs a 4.3/TH350, Toy axles and 39's.

I'd have no problem beating one around for a DD at all, my buddy loved his till he rolled the thing, and I rarely have one up on my lift at work for anything but basic upkeep stuff.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Been done to different extremes, there's at least one company I know of making lift kits for the little things. Know a guy with a Sportage for a wheeler that runs a 4.3/TH350, Toy axles and 39's.

I'd have no problem beating one around for a DD at all, my buddy loved his till he rolled the thing, and I rarely have one up on my lift at work for anything but basic upkeep stuff.
Hey trikeKid do you deal with these things on a pretty regular basis? Is there any difference chassis wise like crossmembers or such between the 2 and 4wd? Even the struts on the front are split at the bottom for the half shafts. If this runs as good as we think I hate to part with it. It is low miles the carpet will clean out and the body only has a few little dents and absolutlely zero rust. Supposedly the AC is ice cold as well, which will be nice when we get our stuff moved out to the SW.

Ive already looked into the lifts and possibilities. My biggest thing right now is how difficult will it be to do the swap. We also considered finding a cheap one and ripping the body off and turning it into a little tube buggy like these Honda powered buggies people are building. So many possibilities with these little beasts.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stick or auto? I have an auto but I am still debating what to do with this thing. We got it back together this evening and it runs like a sewing machine. Runs quiet and it revs out nice and smooth. I really dont think the guy that had it realized what happened. I got the timing belt covers at pull a part plus a bunch of bolts that were missing from whoever was trying to figure out what was wrong. New water pump, timing belt, tension pulley, alternator belt, and alternator pivot bolt and its off and running.

With everything I have to take care of right now Im thinking Im going to leave it 2wd, put a 3 inch lift and 30-31 inch tires on it, and run it as is. I am going to be out in the SW for several months and then making it a permanent move shortly after. So it will be nice to have a nice economical little back road runner till we get everything moved.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If it were me Id keep the stock 2wd transmission and run a samurai t-case behind it and use the stock IFS 4wd stuff up front. You would get lower gearing, a gear reduction for high range for the larger 31" Tires.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did some looking and there arent a whole lot of those out there. Couple of questions if you dont mind. Whats the difference between the 2wd and 4wd sportage trannies? Ive seen them specified as one or the other and they say one wont work instead of the other with the stock equipment.

Also why the sammy trans case? Is it a bolt in or pretty close to bolt in? Same shaft connections or something? Would any other little suv trans case work? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know jack about these things or any of the micro 4x4s for that matter.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Did some looking and there arent a whole lot of those out there. Couple of questions if you dont mind. Whats the difference between the 2wd and 4wd sportage trannies? Ive seen them specified as one or the other and they say one wont work instead of the other with the stock equipment.

Also why the sammy trans case? Is it a bolt in or pretty close to bolt in? Same shaft connections or something? Would any other little suv trans case work? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know jack about these things or any of the micro 4x4s for that matter.
I haven't seen the 2wd transmission I haven't seen a single one in the junkyard around here but the 4WD Transmission has the t-case built into the transmission case. Its removable of course.

The reason I picked the samurai case is because its small, it will fit under the kia pretty easily with a small driveshaft and it has a passenger drop front output which is what is needed for the stock 4wd ifs stuff. The driveshaft in the rear will probably need to be a CV joint so it won't vibrate. The samurai rear axle is offset and the kia is centered (pumpkin, differential).

I don't know of any transmission what would be easily swapped to give you 4wd options except for the stock Kia transmission.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I haven't seen the 2wd transmission I haven't seen a single one in the junkyard around here but the 4WD Transmission has the t-case built into the transmission case. Its removable of course.

The reason I picked the samurai case is because its small, it will fit under the kia pretty easily with a small driveshaft and it has a passenger drop front output which is what is needed for the stock 4wd ifs stuff. The driveshaft in the rear will probably need to be a CV joint so it won't vibrate. The samurai rear axle is offset and the kia is centered (pumpkin, differential).

I don't know of any transmission what would be easily swapped to give you 4wd options except for the stock Kia transmission.
I meant to put what other transfer cases would work.

You said you would need a CV joint is the sammy case rear output is offset as well? It doesnt go straight through?

Ill get it back up on the lift here in a day or two and get some pics of the tranny if it will help you figure things out. If I do any thing it will probably involve leaving the stock tranny for now.Im going to throw a lift on it and bigger tires but major changes are going to wait till we get moved.

I dont know what shipping would be, but there are two 2wd trannies (no 4wd)sitting in our local pull a part. Ill stop by and see if what they want for them.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I meant to put what other transfer cases would work.

You said you would need a CV joint is the sammy case rear output is offset as well? It doesnt go straight through?

Ill get it back up on the lift here in a day or two and get some pics of the tranny if it will help you figure things out. If I do any thing it will probably involve leaving the stock tranny for now.Im going to throw a lift on it and bigger tires but major changes are going to wait till we get moved.

I dont know what shipping would be, but there are two 2wd trannies (no 4wd)sitting in our local pull a part. Ill stop by and see if what they want for them.
Yeah the rear output on the sammy case is offset as well. I haven't really found a small divorced t-case that had a centered output. Pictures of the 2wd transmission would be appreciated!! If your interested I could possibly send you the front axle with CV shafts, and the front wheel hubs (Which is what I think you need to convert yours to 4wd).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the rear output on the sammy case is offset as well. I haven't really found a small divorced t-case that had a centered output. Pictures of the 2wd transmission would be appreciated!! If your interested I could possibly send you the front axle with CV shafts, and the front wheel hubs (Which is what I think you need to convert yours to 4wd).
I should be able to get the sporty up on the lift in the morning. I'll get as many pics as I can. How much would you want for the front end parts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up a sportage yesterday. Couldn't pass up the deal. Got it in good running condition with 150K miles on it 5spd tranny for $400! There's issues of course, FR window won't roll up, rear windows won't roll down, dash lights don't work, etc. but it's all interior electrical issues and since about half of the window switches are busted i have a feeling if i fix all the switches and swap out any bad fuses all those little gremlins will disapear. The main issue is 2WD! Bummer but again, $400 how can i complain. Front tires are bald so i've been looking around a bit to see what's out there in these tiny sizes and i found some decent looking MTs in 235/75-15s from Treadwright for $87. I'm gonna drive it around for a few weeks before investing any money into it as i want to make sure no more serious issues surface before putting money into it. But i'm thinking 235s should fit with no lift to get a bit of traction and not make the little thing any more tippy. I am very interested in what would be involved in turning it into 4WD though. is it basically a bolt on deal? just get a parts list and visit my local pick-n-pull then go home and turn my 2wd into 4wd? I'm not looking to invest too much time or money into this little rig as it's basically just gonna be our economical beater to buzz into town in but living in snow country and on a occasionally VERY muddy dirt road a 4WD would be loads more useful during the bad months.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm looking for a cheap little pos to beat on & a 2001 popped up on CL. It has a manual trans that I'm guessing needs to be replaced. They said it "lunged forward and all the gears except fourth don't work." I'm thinking if I can get it for $5-600 then a trans for 2-400(?) It might be worth it. How hard would it be to replace the trans on a couple of little drive up ramps? It must be easier then bench pressing an np-435 into an early Bronco right?

Then I was thinking of removing as much fender as necessary to clear whatever tires I can find cheap, welding the rear & then abusing it for q few weekends.

Long-term possibilities could include the D44s from the roller Scout I have stashed at my parent's place.

So, call me a fool and talk me out of it or support me in my cheap n quick thrashfest to get back to wheeling in the first time in 5ish years.

·
Registered
0 Posts
OK First Im not sure where this should be posted so I put it here. So here's the deal. I picked up a supposedly broken 2000 Kia Sportage for next to nothing. Died on the side of the road and they didnt want to mess with it so they dumped it. Its pretty clean few dings and dirty carpet, but supposedly everything else works. As far as the breakdown, so far it looks like the crank pulley bolt wasnt torqued when the timing belt was last changed, and the crank pully got loose, the timing belt started working forward through the cover and pushed an already loose alternator belt off causing the rig to die when the battery went flat. No biggie replaced a few parts and it starts. Were waiting for a new cover and we'll button it up and put some miles on it to see what we have.

So anyway we threw it up on the lift and started checking this little thing out. 2 1/4" x 5" fully boxed ladder frame with some pretty beefy cross members. Solid axle rear with a three link coil suspension. Were thinking of a 3" lift with 30-31s and turning it into a mild trail runner. Problem is, it's 2wd. After looking at it, it appears to be a simple bolt on to convert it to 4wd. Tranfer case, front drive shaft, third member, half shafts, 4wd spindles. Im looking at either finding a wrecked 4wd to get parts off of or pull-a-part.
We are also kicking around the idea of throwing a set of sammy axles under it with a little kubota diesel, but I dont think thats going to happen for at least a year or two, to many other things going on.

Have any of you guys ever messed with these little things? Ever done a 2wd to 4wd swap? Is it worth it or should I sell it and just buy a 4wd sportage? I have an XJ, so this is just a piss around high mpg (25-30 so Im told) DD that may have some mild off road capabilities.

Appreciate the wisdom.
Hi,
I hope you can help, i have been researching thi all day! This exact thing just happened to my 99 sportage. When the alternator belt derailed, drove another 5 miles then it simply died....as tho it ran out of gas but it has more than 1/4 tank. Tore front of engine down, belt still on, but like you, rubbed thru the cover when it moved forward. Ran compression test all cyls btwn 135 and 150, so no valve damage. But car does not start? Battery charged and hot. What exactly did you do? Been suggested to replace crankshaft sensor?

Thanks
JD

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi,
I hope you can help, i have been researching thi all day! This exact thing just happened to my 99 sportage. When the alternator belt derailed, drove another 5 miles then it simply died....as tho it ran out of gas but it has more than 1/4 tank. Tore front of engine down, belt still on, but like you, rubbed thru the cover when it moved forward. Ran compression test all cyls btwn 135 and 150, so no valve damage. But car does not start? Battery charged and hot. What exactly did you do? Been suggested to replace crankshaft sensor?

Thanks
JD
Damn I forgot all about this thread. I dont even have the little buggy anymore. I sold it right after I got it running bought a 4wd sporty put jeep coils in the back welded some 2 inch strut spacers and ended up with a 4 inch lift. Rolled the fenders threw 33s under it and drove the piss out it for awhile.

If I remember correctly its not an interference engine so make sure your timing belt didnt skip teeth. If it did you wouldnt have bent anything so you may not realize this happened. Its easier if you have a cam lock set the crank then both cams, lock them in place and throw the belt on. The first time I put it back together I didnt get one of the cams set right and it wouldnt start.

I doubt theres anything wrong with your crank sensor but there are a shit ton of little connectors in there with crappy plugs make sure you didnt miss any. Where are you located at?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts