Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright this thread here states you run a rockbox behind a kick tranny and hardmount the zuk case behind it
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538151&page=2&highlight=crossmember

Now the infamous t-case mounts and zuk engine mounts are in control of the drivetrain's destiny:laughing: I'm sure it has been done before with OTT's stuff but here's some of my worry wart negative nelly thinking. I've seen problems with t-case holes hollowing, broken mounts, engine mounts etc.
So here's the scoop I've already put in the Dodge 318 motor mounts for my kick engine. I've already upgraded to Trail gear's aluminum t-case mounts. So to the point what to do now........options
Run a driver's side only crossmember to the bottom of the kick tranny to clear the front driveshaft

Run a Rock 4x bucket and beef up the factory bracketry coming off the framerail and call it a day. Its design is to keep the t-case from cracking under twist and stress. Thereby moving my stress point to the coupler and seven bolts connecting the front input of the t-case.

I really wanted to do a flat skid and almost all of these options complicate that design being right on the framerail. So those of you who sat at this crossroad and had success and those of you had a horrible weekend being dragged out by a buddy what did you do?
Because I'm going to guess that if I leave it like this its going to be bad times.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I too sit at this crossroad. I am removing the original crossmember for driveline clearance. Also making a flat bottom. Although mine will still have the divorced case. So I still have to find a way to hold the back of the tranny up. I like the idea of the bucket, and if I can convince the wife we cant live without it I think thats what we will do. Looks like the way to go to me because the bucket holds on to the case in an extra place.

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
i run the kicker 3 (same ) with 5.14 in the sami case.. whenput it in, I tossed my trany cross member beefed up my tcase ones and added a kong ..
no problems.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am running my homemade kicker 3, with my homemade tcase bucket/skid, reinforced tcase arms, stock tcase gears, stock engine mounts, stock tcase mounts, and a stock samurai EFI 1.3 engine....and I haven't had any issues with twisting or breaking anything. When you marry everything together, it really reinforces the whole drivetrain and their mounting points...engine to samurai tcase.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Run a Rock 4x bucket and beef up the factory bracketry coming off the framerail and call it a day.

That's what I did with mine.

My bucket came out pretty close to level with lower frame rails.

It's not a complete skid but it works fine...(I've had mine balanced on the bucket alone with no problems...don't ask:D)

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well here's what I came up with and decided to run. Trail Tough's Gorilla grip is the shit no doubt about it. It is a complete package but lacked one thing that I wanted personally and thats to tie the rear output into the bucket like the Rock4x one does. I don't even have a short arm so I ordered a beefed one from Rocky Road and a bucket for Rock4x. Could I have made all of this yes do I want to hell no. I'm a lazy son of a bitch who got up a 3am this morning and got home after 6pm. I'm the weld on master!!!!!! Weld-on its the new bolt on for 2007. I'll strengthen up the stock long arm or make a new one and call it a day. I chose Rocky Road's poly mounts for the bushings and I'm going to run it like the bottom three in the special olympics.:flipoff2: I'm damn close to posting up a party at my house called "Let's get drunk and finish my shit"

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well here's what I came up with and decided to run. Trail Tough's Gorilla grip is the shit no doubt about it. It is a complete package but lacked one thing that I wanted personally and thats to tie the rear output into the bucket like the Rock4x one does. I don't even have a short arm so I ordered a beefed one from Rocky Road and a bucket for Rock4x. Could I have made all of this yes do I want to hell no. I'm a lazy son of a bitch who got up a 3am this morning and got home after 6pm. I'm the weld on master!!!!!! Weld-on its the new bolt on for 2007. I'll strengthen up the stock long arm or make a new one and call it a day. I chose Rocky Road's poly mounts for the bushings and I'm going to run it like the bottom three in the special olympics.:flipoff2: I'm damn close to posting up a party at my house called "Let's get drunk and finish my shit"
To bad I dont live in cali! I love beer finish my shit parties. Thats how I got the link suspension in my jeep done in two days. Kegorator in the garage in front of the jeep!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts