Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I wasn't saying his kid was an aw. Just saying some kids need to learn the consequences of actions.

Like mentioned, the kid is getting hurt, freaking out, passing out from not breathing and going limp. She will survive and eventually grow out of it after she is mature enough to realize there are better ways of dealing with "whatever issue" puts her in that state.

And NO, do not leave the kid unattended... nurture and love, not abandon.
I'm glad we're on the same page.

As for disciplining children, my sil has a problem cold, but won't discipline. He gets around me or my wife (when his mom isn't around of course) and he knows we won't take his shit, so he's a good kid around us lol.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone saying to leave the room is fucking stupid....she's not holding her breathe you fucks, she's knocking the wind out of herself by hyperventilating. My daughter has done this multiple times after hurting herself. My wife called the ambulance when it happened to her the first time. I've had my daughter go limp in my arms 3 or 4 times. The only thing you can do is pat her back and tell her to breathe. The Dr confirmed my suspicion that she was starving herself of oxygen because she was crying so hard. The silent scream is her not having any air to make sound. On a side note, this is indeed my fourth child as well. She's very well mannered and has great temperament as well. Of all 4 kids she is the best behaved at this age. Your daughter is NOT doing this for attention. And i know how fucking scary this shit is. Having your baby in your arms limp like a wet noodle is the absolute WORST feeling in the world. You feel more helpless than in any other situation. Good luck man, my daughter started this about the same age as yours, and it's happened about 6 times so far. The Dr said she'll grow out of it. For the record, we took her to a neurologist just to be sure. They said it's common in this age group, and she'll grow out of it.
This. It's exactly what we've been told as well - she should grow out of it. We just haven't been to her doc yet as we just moved. I was just hoping there was something else you've been told as well.

She's not choking :shaking:
Not to mention that when you take infant cpr,the only thing to do for a child up to agree 5 or so is pat them on the back when they are choking....
Yeah, definitely not choking... just looked like it the first time.

I was referring to adults. IIRC, Heimlich for a kid is putting them face down on your hand (just above the belly button) and pushing on their back. Similar to CPR for a kid, but your front hand is in a different position (CPR on the sternum). Of course, now that I google it, they have a whole different thing than when I took the class. Looks like I need to do some reading.

I was always told to never pat someone on the back who is choking as it could lodge whatever it is worse.:confused:

·
Registered
10,335 Posts

As for disciplining children, my sil has a problem cold, but won't discipline. He gets around me or my wife (when his mom isn't around of course) and he knows we won't take his shit, so he's a good kid around us lol.
Yup, same here... my sisters kid is golden after the first encounter like that.

OP's kid is 1 and a half... far to young to really comprehend whats happening on any real level. Give it time, I am sure it's scary... you will cope. She will get to a point that she grows out of it.

Kids do some strange shizzle. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
This. It's exactly what we've been told as well - she should grow out of it. We just haven't been to her doc yet as we just moved. I was just hoping there was something else you've been told as well.

Yeah, definitely not choking... just looked like it the first time.

I was referring to adults. IIRC, Heimlich for a kid is putting them face down on your hand (just above the belly button) and pushing on their back. Similar to CPR for a kid, but your front hand is in a different position (CPR on the sternum). Of course, now that I google it, they have a whole different thing than when I took the class. Looks like I need to do some reading.

I was always told to never pat someone on the back who is choking as it could lodge whatever it is worse.:confused:
Even the neurologist said not to worry too much, unless she turns colors. It should only last 30 seconds tops.

You're right about patting them on the back, it's got to be an upward thrust motion. My disclaimer is that i haven't had a cpr class in a very very long time. Placement of the hand on the chest is crucial, and i suppose i should sign up for one asap. My wife and i have been talking about taking one. Time to put it on the schedule i guess.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Yup, same here... my sisters kid is golden after the first encounter like that.

OP's kid is 1 and a half... far to young to really comprehend whats happening on any real level. Give it time, I am sure it's scary... you will cope. She will get to a point that she grows out of it.

Kids do some strange shizzle. :flipoff2:
It's worse than scary. Brings tears to your eyes the first couple time. My first experience with it was in Kentucky in a cabin on vacation. She fell off a cooler, hit her head and cried harder than ever for about 30 seconds and passed out. I about flipped, but had 4 other family members (3 older kids and wife) watching, so i had to suck it up and be the rock....hard as fuck to do with a lifeless baby in your arms:( they say she will grow out of it though.

Kids are bat shit crazy when it comes down to it, but they're kids who need to figure it all out in a short time. Nowadays most people won't let their kids figure it out, and that's where our society is failing imo.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Even the neurologist said not to worry too much, unless she turns colors. It should only last 30 seconds tops.

You're right about patting them on the back, it's got to be an upward thrust motion. My disclaimer is that i haven't had a cpr class in a very very long time. Placement of the hand on the chest is crucial, and i suppose i should sign up for one asap. My wife and i have been talking about taking one. Time to put it on the schedule i guess.
Good info on the turning colors. So far, she hasn't zonked out for more than a second.

Like I said, I've been through a lot of medical training in the last year (just in case you need a tourniquet or needle decompression, I'm your guy), but haven't reviewed kid stuff in a while. I may sign up for a class too.

My buddy, an ER doc, taught me how to patch them up with DermaBond (or Gorilla Glue) with a brush. Saved us a couple trips to urgent care for stitches. :D

She got away with a lot while I was gone (8 months) as the wife was dealing with 4 kids on her own. It wasn't zero disciple, just less than the others. That said, a lot of this is just her personality as well. She truly is an asshole. Also, she's the first kid that digs in her diaper... :barf: We have to be on that shit ASAP, pun really not intended.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's worse than scary. Brings tears to your eyes the first couple time. My first experience with it was in Kentucky in a cabin on vacation. She fell off a cooler, hit her head and cried harder than ever for about 30 seconds and passed out. I about flipped, but had 4 other family members (3 older kids and wife) watching, so i had to suck it up and be the rock....hard as fuck to do with a lifeless baby in your arms:( they say she will grow out of it though.

Kids are bat shit crazy when it comes down to it, but they're kids who need to figure it all out in a short time. Nowadays most people won't let their kids figure it out, and that's where our society is failing imo.
It's mostly the fact that I feel completely helpless. I can't fix this. My wife calls me over to help, and I fill the role of being calm and collected. Inside, I'm freaked the fuck out.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Good info on the turning colors. So far, she hasn't zonked out for more than a second.

Like I said, I've been through a lot of medical training in the last year (just in case you need a tourniquet or needle decompression, I'm your guy), but haven't reviewed kid stuff in a while. I may sign up for a class too.

My buddy, an ER doc, taught me how to patch them up with DermaBond (or Gorilla Glue) with a brush. Saved us a couple trips to urgent care for stitches. :D

She got away with a lot while I was gone (8 months) as the wife was dealing with 4 kids on her own. It wasn't zero disciple, just less than the others. That said, a lot of this is just her personality as well. She truly is an asshole. Also, she's the first kid that digs in her diaper... :barf: We have to be on that shit ASAP, pun really not intended.
The shit thing:eek:I've heard of it, but no experience. Gotta be shitty to deal with. I've been lucky though, my kids (while under 13:shaking:) have all had pretty darn good behavior. Teenagers are a different animal though:laughing:pun intended:flipoff2:
Moms are Def easier on little ones then men are.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
It's mostly the fact that I feel completely helpless. I can't fix this. My wife calls me over to help, and I fill the role of being calm and collected. Inside, I'm freaked the fuck out.
You and me both my friend, you and me both. I don't know how any parent deals with the death of a child, i could not. I have mad respect for anyone that can keep their lives straight after something like that, and feel incredibly sympathetic to anyone that loses everything after. I would be a wreck.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
If you watch kids out of the side of your eye, it's halaious to see them fall and look around to see if anyone saw them. If they see anyone that saw them, they start bawling, if not, they just go about their day. :laughing:
Buddy from work said the exact same thing. I was over helping him with his pickup and his kid yardsaled on the sidewalk behind us but we pretended not to notice. Just got back up and kept on cruising down the sidewalk

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If you watch kids out of the side of your eye, it's halaious to see them fall and look around to see if anyone saw them. If they see anyone that saw them, they start bawling, if not, they just go about their day. :laughing:
Buddy from work said the exact same thing. I was over helping him with his pickup and his kid yardsaled on the sidewalk behind us but we pretended not to notice. Just got back up and kept on cruising down the sidewalk
Yup, certain situations you ignore them, certain situations you nurture them. The problem is that most parents today can't discern which is which, so you get nurture every time they make a noise, this creating millennials:shaking::(

·
Insurance poor
10,064 Posts
Yup, certain situations you ignore them, certain situations you nurture them. The problem is that most parents today can't discern which is which, so you get nurture every time they make a noise, this creating millennials:shaking::(
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Moms are Def easier on little ones then men are.
I don't know for our situation. I think it's mostly just different. Depending on the offense, I'll usually just drop with them for pushups or burpies. Mom will beat their asses faster than I will. I'm not opposed and will as well on occasion, but I figure if I can do something that benefits them physically as well, win-win. Overall, my kids are really well behaved, but I recognize that they need play time or I have to be on them a lot - which sucks for all of us. Even #4 listens... she just figures out loop holes. :mad3:

As an aside, my oldest is one of the few in her class that can make it 50 yards in the wheel barrow race and #2 kicks ass on the monkey bars. :laughing:

Easiest way to cure pain in my experience is to say playtime is over, time for bed. Pure fucking magic.

·
Registered
28,145 Posts
I don't know for our situation. I think it's mostly just different. Depending on the offense, I'll usually just drop with them for pushups or burpies. Mom will beat their asses faster than I will. I'm not opposed and will as well on occasion, but I figure if I can do something that benefits them physically as well, win-win. Overall, my kids are really well behaved, but I recognize that they need play time or I have to be on them a lot - which sucks for all of us. Even #4 listens... she just figures out loop holes. :mad3:

As an aside, my oldest is one of the few in her class that can make it 50 yards in the wheel barrow race and #2 kicks ass on the monkey bars. :laughing:

Easiest way to cure pain in my experience is to say playtime is over, time for bed. Pure fucking magic.
I hope that your little one is not the same breed as my middle brother. He was pure hell on my parents. His pain tolerance is off the charts. Spanking never worked. Hell, nothing worked.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had one that did this. I would blow in her mouth. It worked. As for the hitting and fit throwing. I beat my kids. They don't do that crap.
She doesn't throw all out fits as it doesn't get her anything; she's just mean. She plays with other kids by slapping them. She's getting better as she's starting to understand why she's being disciplined. They all get their fair share of ass beatings. I can't stand undisciplined kids and get irritated by their parents more, especially when they start whining about how their kids run their house.

I didn't mean to give the impression that she's undisciplined. She is just a prick.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts