Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
kingpin 60 highsteer on tj?

Can you run highsteer on a tj with only 5.5" of lift? Looking at it there looks like there will be interference with the the draglink and frame or tie rod and stock style brackets. What highsteer arms and pitman arm work well? (I searched but didn't find much except high steer on 30 fronts and balljoint 44s.) The axle is HP60 Ford with Chevy knuckles and is 65"wide.

·
5,599 Posts
Sorry dont have a TJ but am working out my steering on my XJ.

Im gonna have about 8.5in of lift, and with a high steer arm on the 79 ford d60 my drag link will be 3.4 degress so FLAT.

so with less lift It would not wor so great!

you could always use these rod ends, if you did coils up front I dont see the T-geometry being a problem in the facotry d60 location (No-highsteer arm)

ES2233L pass side tie rod 7/8"-18 WITH HOLE FOR DRAG LINK, for T-geometry steering.
Application: 85 Blazer

ES2027L high misalignment drag link end Passenger side 7/8"-18 about 7in long with 3in of threads, BIG taper

ES2026R high misalignment drag link Pitman arm side end Are 7/8"-18 about 7in long with 3in of threads, BIG taper

ES2234R Shorter then the drag link rod ends, for driver side tie rod 7/8"-18
Application: 85 Blazer

Im not sure on your chevy outers but I reacall my ford outers have the tierod at 6.5in from center king pin.

My Jeep pittman arm is 5.5in eye to eye, and after measuring it left to righ throw, decided that a high steer arms 6in form center woudl be ideal. so if you do the T-style steering you may want a slighly longer pitman arm!

youll have to measure it.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
I have a kingpin ford 60 with high steer in my TJ w/ 4" springs SOA.. There is almost no angle on the draglink, about 2.5 deg.
This is with a drop pitman arm for a 4" lift. there isnt any interference in my setup... but i have about 9" of lift. 5.5" lift with high steer would be pushing it i think, even running a stock pitman arm.

HTH...

Edit - for you guys about to flame away... this is a leaf sprung frontend :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What high steer arms are you guys using? I may end up using just one high steer arm. Anyone done this on a tj? I'd like to get some arms so that I can measure for my tie rod and drag link.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
84 Sheepdog said:
What high steer arms are you guys using? I may end up using just one high steer arm. Anyone done this on a tj? I'd like to get some arms so that I can measure for my tie rod and drag link.

My arms were made by wagonner machine... i can get some measurements for you tomorrow if youd like.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
not to jack your thread
but i need over all length of the steer ams there self.. im making a set and wanna double check my messurements. any chance?

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
payton said:
not to jack your thread
but i need over all length of the steer ams there self.. im making a set and wanna double check my messurements. any chance?
who are ya askin?

·
5,599 Posts
84 Sheepdog said:
My current build will be a single high steer arm for jsut the drag link. at 8.5in of lift and the frotn axle shifted forward 2-3 inches my drag link woudl hit my pitman arm if I put the tierod up top also.

My high steer arm is made by scott at rockstomper, it should have come in on friday last week, still no arm yet, no rush, Ill give scott a call, good guy to deal with.

Any ways My draglink hole will be 6in from the king pin center. stock on ford d60 is 6.5in form center pin, but my pitman arm is shorter then the stock ford arm so I needed it at 6in, If I went witht he tierod on the high steer arms Id make a seond hole at 4in from the king pin. so each arm would have a tapered hole at 4ina dn 6in fomr the center king pin.

your probibly gonna need new king pin caps cuse you most likely have a factory steerign arm on one side.
GM part no. 0047-1750 Upper kingpin cover

Youll want your king pin hole to go around these covers, its alot easier then building the cap as part of your arm.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
J. Hard said:
Not a King Pin 60 but, I got a few pics of my D44 high steer here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrh713

Using Shakerbuilt HS Arms, 7/8" FS Chevy TRE's, 1.25" DOM. "Inverted T" High Steer.
Great pic's...How does the beast handle on the road??? Having any problems with steering? How well does it flex? does anything rub at full turn and flex?? let me know.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm using the avalanche (Poison Spider) D60 kingpin arms both sides. I have made custom drag link, tie rod and track bar. I haven't finished it yet, but it appears to work O.K. I cycled the axle from full compresion to full extension on each side and should be no problem. Not sure how much lift, but maybe about 7" or a little more?? not sure.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a really old post. I ended up using high steer arms that steve gerstner made for me. (I don't think the poison spyder arms would have been long enough for my application.) I mounted the tie rod and drag link below the two arms. The pitman arm I used was 75 ford 1/2 ton 4wd. It worked great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts