Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're collecting parts to build a HP D60 that is going under the front end of an HD2500 project. The truck is being built by Baker Motorsports in the style of a straight-axle desert racer from the 80's. Parallel 3-link w/panhard bar, coi-overs & bypass shocks, full Chrom-Moly rollcage, etc.

I started asking questions about the best D60 front brake setup. Now I'm trying to determine the ideal backspacing for 17x8" wheels to minimize the scrub radius (with 37-39" tires). We're building a WIDE axle (2-3" wider per-side than full-size) using a TERA CRD60 housing and Dedenbear Chevy knuckles. We have to build that wide in order to cycle 16" of vertical suspension travel and clear the tires on full compression/lock-to-lock steering. This is a long (crew-cab short-bed) truck, so we're doing everything that we can to improve the steering/turning radius.

Ryan at Dedenbear was able to tell me that the spindle inclination is 9-degrees (loaded) and that the distance from that imaginary line (at the axle centerline) to the face of the spindle mounting surface is exactly 3". Haven't sourced the spindles and hubs yet, but I'm assuming that most of the 8-lug single-wheel Chevy D60 hub/spindles have similar dimensions.Am I wrong?

Can anyone tell me the dimensions from the spindle-mounting-surface to the wheel-mounting-surface of a loaded hub and spindle?

·
Hello Govna
2,877 Posts
as far as i know, the chevy and dodge spindels are the same lengths. which is why you can use stub shafts from either or in either or. the ford spindle on a srw 60 is 0.6" shorter. don't feel like taking a 44 tsl off right now for a measurement so you're hosed in that department. :flipoff2:

i do think there are hub differences because of various hub lockouts that are avail. depending on the application.

i know the dodge 60 has some varience's as far as the hubs go. i got stuck with very limited lockout selection on a dodge 60 once. because of the hub.

hope this is of some help to ya.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spindle mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Anyone?

·
Hello Govna
2,877 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
We're building a WIDE axle (2-3" wider per-side than full-size) using a TERA CRD60 housing and Dedenbear Chevy knuckles. We have to build that wide in order to cycle 16" of vertical suspension travel and clear the tires on full compression/lock-to-lock steering. This is a long (crew-cab short-bed) truck, so we're doing everything that we can to improve the steering/turning radius.
======================

here's a thought, ditch the cab, go full tube, get hydro steering, and while you're at it, get a red star! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone tell me the dimensions from the spindle-mounting-surface to the wheel-mounting-surface of a loaded hub and spindle?

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
Ford 4.245 so chevy should be 4.845, but I dont have an actual measurement off one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts