Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run the 14.5" ones? How do I know if I'll fit in them? I'm a narrow dude, but 14.5" isn't very much, and I'm having trouble tracking down one in my area to sit in. Also, how do you mount them? Do people just drill holes in the bottom of them, and run a bolt (or four) right through them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, replying to my own post, I know... So I just sat on a yard stick up against the wall. The edge of my other cheek was about 13.5 inches from the wall, so I guess I'll fit with the padding in the seats. :D

So, how do I mount em?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
RME-RockMonkey said:
Anyone run the 14.5" ones? How do I know if I'll fit in them? I'm a narrow dude, but 14.5" isn't very much, and I'm having trouble tracking down one in my area to sit in. Also, how do you mount them? Do people just drill holes in the bottom of them, and run a bolt (or four) right through them?
where is your area?
there is probably someone with a set near you

paul(with the kirkey(sp) in storage for now as I had to use it as a daily driver...than the brakes failed in a red light

oh yes...they were just drilled and bolted in.

Paul(I have a skinnney ass, and they fit juuust right! ...just a pain as a daily driver)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Salt Lake. I asked on our local board, and got a reply, but I measured those seats at 15.5" wide. I fit with room to spare on those, so I guess I'll be okay. It just scares me that I can't find anyone running them. Bolting right through them sounds cheasy, but I guess if that's how it's done...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Thanks.

You guys that are running them, do you prefer the 10, or 20 degree layback. I am planning on mounting the seats flat to the floor, (to minimize roof height) so which seats do you think would be more comfortable?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget about narrowness. That's the primary motivation for me. Also, they are flat to the floor, so you can cut a few inches off your roofline.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have one in my comp vehicle. They suck trailriding in them all day. Buit then again I didnt get the cover either. Get one as big as you can so you will be comfortable. Mine is just too restrictive at 17.5. I'm big 6' 3" 260 size 40 waist. Next one will be bigger. Then again them being too restictive is nice if you plan on going over hard at least once a comp too :D Mine is held in with 6 5/16 bolts.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
We ran them for the last 2 years in the comp buggy. That car was retired as of supercrawl, and we will never run those seats again in a rockcrawler. I believe they should not be allowed in our sport. Remember what happened to Skinny in St. George? And he had a good padded seat. Did you hear about DSI's tailbone after coming down #1 saturday?

I don't think having a few inches of a lower roofline is worth it. This is coming from our personal experience, and watching those around us.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a more padded/comfortable/safer seat that is still very narrow, and low? If I were building a single seater I could put a wide seat in, but fitting two seats in a chassis makes it tough to keep it narrow enough to be competetive. Any way to pad an aluminum seat to make it more comfortable, and safer?

·
Registered
453 Posts
skulltoy said:
We ran them for the last 2 years in the comp buggy. That car was retired as of supercrawl, and we will never run those seats again in a rockcrawler. I believe they should not be allowed in our sport. Remember what happened to Skinny in St. George? And he had a good padded seat. Did you hear about DSI's tailbone after coming down #1 saturday?

I don't think having a few inches of a lower roofline is worth it. This is coming from our personal experience, and watching those around us.
I agree 100%, and would not be suprised to see suspension seat made mandatory. There is a reason desert racers use suspension seats. No matter how tight your belts are, you will bounce in a seat. A good seat like PRP, Mastercraft, Beard, etc does not weigh much more than a kirky with a good pad. The 3 I listed should be able to make you a narrow seat (even narrow enough for a monkey boy :flipoff2: ) What problems will come from making the top of your cage an inch higher? Certainly not even a measurable differance in cg. Is you safety worth the risk and $$ saved? Kirkey's just don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can think of two instances where people have been hurt by hitting on the wheels hard and compressing against thier seat. Skinny in St. George, and DSI in SuperCrawl III (were either using aluminum seats? I know Skinny wasn't?). Are there a lot more occasions that go unreported, or is the danger being inflated. There are a lot of people using these seats, and I don't hear about people getting hurt. I would also be surprised if the aluminum seats have much (if any) more give than the plastic seats that i've been using the last couple years (and many others are using them too). I'm listening to you guys, I'm just not convinced yet. Putting in a couple of cushy suspension seats is going to massively alter my buggy plans, and I'm not willing to do it unless I really think there is a problem with the aluminum seats. Is anyone using them and happy with them?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
As far as mounting - I think there are two bolts at the back bottom of the seat. A third is located right between your shoulder blades. It makes it real nice because you don't have to run a bar across up front to mount the front of the seat.

As far as height - The mounting points on my Beards are damn close to the "ride height". Max 1-1/2" - 2" difference.

As far as safety - I looked at Skinny's seat when he rolled. It was a plastic shell or some type of bucket seat. It was not a suspension (sitting on a suspended peice of material) seat. A couple guys I run with use Kirkeys, Terry Howe and Sean Lazzelle. Terry likes them and I think Sean wants to get rid of them. I know Sean hurt his back a bit after rolling off of the waterfall on Proving Grounds. The padding for them is little more than fabric.

In my opinion - They are uncomfortable and I could not use them. Terry is a beanpole like you so they might work. I think even he would tell you they are uncomfortable though. Basically they feel like you are sitting on a milk crate. They lock you in but so does a suspension seat. A suspension seat seems to conform with your body and provide more widespread support. If I was hitting #1 in a rig with Kirkys, the seats would probably cross my mind. After this weekend, safety is the first thing on my mind.

Width is a consideration but is overstated in my opinion. I have two Beards and an Art Carr shifter in the middle. I kept about 1-1/2" of clearence between the seats and the door bar and I total just over 48" (can't exactly recall) to the outside of the bars.

Thats about all I can weigh in on other than I would like to hear input on a minimum width for the modified class (we can save that for another time and place though)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I happen to have some figures in front of me, Brad... You are 51.5 inches wide to the outside of your "door bars". Hahahaha, I know more about your rig than you do! There's no way I can drive as well as you, so if I'm gonna compete with you next year I need a superior rig! I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for that (although I am actually quite comfortable in the plastic seats I've been using), but I don't want to risk safety. Sure wish we had some rules.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts