Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparing a select-fire AK to a semi AK, is it "a firearm that has the unmodified frame or receiver of another firearm"?

·
Registered
29,000 Posts
semi auto AK's have receivers that are not capable of taking the auto sear.
They're missing a hole for a third pin.

in the US anything with the capability to take the third pin and auto sear is considered a machine gun byt the ATF, regardless if the parts are installed.
in the 90's there were some norinco ones imported that had a third pin hole with a rivet just installed. ATF took exception.

So I guess what you're asking is: Are semi auto receivers different than full auto receivers?

and the answer is:
it depends. Look for the third hole just above the mag catch.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Right side rail has to have an opening, too, for the full auto FCG to actually function.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in laymans terms, a semi has a different receiver then a select-fire version, no?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
So in laymans terms, a semi has a different receiver then a select-fire version, no?
No - it just has an extra hole in the SAME receiver.

There was a (suspected) decent number of Norinco MAK-90's that made it here under KLIN - TON I, that were being churned out SO fast (to beat the import deadline), that they were built on the wrong (full auto hole was drilled) receivers. The BATmen sent out notices on that, to turn them all in, but since no one knows exactly HOW many were imported and sold, before this 'anomaly' was caught, it's hard to know how may may STILL be floating about.

Keep your eyes peeled if you ever go to buy one via a private sale, so you don't get stuck with a verboten item! :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
Is a soft top different than a hard top? If you produce two items, virtually identical, but one has a small number of holes more than the other, are they different? The receivers are almost identical, minor differences between the two. But I would say they are clearly two different items.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Is a soft top different than a hard top? If you produce two items, virtually identical, but one has a small number of holes more than the other, are they different? The receivers are almost identical, minor differences between the two. But I would say they are clearly two different items.
Obviously you DO NOT work for the batfe. try suspending reason, logic, history, science, physics and a basic grasp of the rudimentary principles of mechanical engineering. Then absorb a significant quantity of lead chips. After all that, and getting beat by your significant other, you might be ready to judge a firearm by the number of holes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
You forget, OP is Canuckistanian. Therefore, he fears no JBT.

I suspect his question refers to Canadia laws, eh?

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You forget, OP is Canuckistanian. Therefore, he fears no JBT.

I suspect his question refers to Canadia laws, eh?
Yes.

I was brainstorming with some guy's, and MP just introduced a bill to have the RCMP solidly define the term variant.
Their misuse of the term variant over the years has been interesting.
For example, the Mossberg Blaze is a plain old .22, but when they wrapped it in some shitty AK-looking plastic for the Blaze47, suddenly it becomes an AK variant and thus prohibited.

The brainstorm led to the idea that while select-fire AK's are prohib, perhaps semi's have a different receiver thus could be allowed.

A man can dream, right?

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I have seen a homebrew drop in part that holds the auto sear with no 3rd pin shole showing....

The old necessity is the mother of invention thing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts