Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a Klune:

Can you hear it when you have it in 1:1?

Mine used to be quiet, but now I can hear it. I only have ~500 mi. on it & am wondering if that's normal?

Thx -

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The Original Diesel said:
No there should be no noise. Sounds like you shifter is out of adjustment causing the selector clutch to be partially engaged.
Yep.

The "E" had the same problem.

2 minute fix

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds easy enough to check out - thanks :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine made all sorts of racket in 1:1 mode for the first couple of hundred miles, then it quieted down all on it's own...

Now it makes a little noise on long trips if the shifter isn't pushed all the way forward. I have to tap it every once in a while to shut it up...

Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not to hijack the thread.....
But has anyone ever broken there output shaft of there Klune?
I have the stock I6 in My 93 YJ with a Ford NP205 t-case behind the Klune-V. After only wheelin it for 6 days I broke the output into 2 pieces.
I was never on the throttle hard and I never bounced it while on the gas. I was in first gear crawling when it broke :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mattsyj7 said:
Not to hijack the thread.....
But has anyone ever broken there output shaft of there Klune?
I have the stock I6 in My 93 YJ with a Ford NP205 t-case behind the Klune-V. After only wheelin it for 6 days I broke the output into 2 pieces.
I was never on the throttle hard and I never bounced it while on the gas. I was in first gear crawling when it broke :(
Damn man, nope, never broke that. Call Luke at Klune, I'm sure he'll make it right for ya... Did you have the proper free play in the shaft?

Dave

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Is it just me, or does that look like a clean slice?

I second giving Klune a call....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, I set up the proper free play in the shaft when I set it up.

Its not a clean slice. The friction of the 2 shafts rubing together while I got towed back to camp must have smoothed it out. The center of the piece thats on the floor in the pic is still a little rough.

The splines must have twisted a little inside the Klune because I cant pull that half of the spud shaft out :barf:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep. Been there done that. I was heavy on the gas gettin' it when it happend to me. 4.0L to NV3550 to Klune 4:1 to flipped D300 to D60/14b to 39.5" TSLs. Called Luke, sent the "new improved" output ASAP without hesitation. Broke mine clean like yours right where it necks down. It was set up perfect, so it wasn't an installation issue. It happened over 2 years after install and after the warranty had expired. Supposedly the new one is made of something different and it was actually tapered or rolled right at the transition point instead of the hard cut off at the neck down like the one in your pic. At least the new one looked stronger and worked fine. Luke told me that he had not seen it happen before that, so I guess yours makes an N of 2.

Doc

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1. there should be no noise at all, when the system is in 1:1.

2. i got my David Klune-V broken some 4 years ago. mind you that the David
is weaker than the Goliath since it's 4:1 and the Goliath is 2.72:1.

3. it was back than, when the main shaft was not yet at it's best. after i had mine broken, Klune-V informed me that they changed the shape and hardening pocess, so such breakage would not occur again.

4. they were great in Klune-V, and replaced my David with a Goliath, no charge, even paid the air delivery to Israel.

5. as a Klune-V crawlbox owner, you have two years of full warranty -
give them a call, i'm sure you'll be surprised how quickly they'll fix the problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
No noise from mine and have been running it about 4 years now. I6 with 331's in the Jeep.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the info Guys!! Its good to hear that they stand behind there product and I shouldnt have a problem geting it fixed. I'll give Luke a call tomorow.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay guys I took a look at the shifter mechanism (mine has the shifter attached to the gearbox) and all I saw was the adjustment screw for the detent. I did not see any way to make the fork ingauge/disenguage any more than it is now. With the tunnel cover off, I can drive in hi range down the road, pulling the shift lever back, and still can hear the Klune over my already-noisy-geardriven-Samurai transfer case.:( Is that the only adjustment?
I am gonna drain the gear oil out of it tonight & make sure things aren't self-destructing in there, but I am starting to have a bad feeling about this...

·
Registered
175 Posts
One final note. I would not hesitate to call Luke at Klune with any problems even after the "2 year" warranty. They did not hesitate to fix me up even after the warranty was well expired. They never even asked me to pay shipping (over night) which I was prepared to pay for. I think they really want their product to be problem free and are willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy.

Doc

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
There should be no noise in 1:1. Mine has the cable shifter so I can't say much for your problem but call Luke. You will find that Klune has the best customer service you will have ever dealt with. :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I second how great luke is to deal with. I have had a problem with mine poping out of 1:1 since the install and he has been really great at helping me out. I sent it back and he checked it out and shipped it back. Worked okay for a little while and now it is as bad as ever. He said he would send me another one as soon as I pull mine back out again. BTW: It does it on downhills where it puts a reverse load on the sprags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts