Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrecked my Jeep, it was a front end hit and a buddy of mine told me to replace the knuckles because they can develop hair line cracks that later can cause it to let go. Has anyone ever heard of this? I do auto-body for a liveing and ive never heard of this and ive done a few front end jeep hits. OH yeah the jeep is totaled and im buying it back!!!

PA-XJ2

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I just wrecked my Jeep, it was a front end hit and a buddy of mine told me to replace the knuckles because they can develop hair line cracks that later can cause it to let go. Has anyone ever heard of this? I do auto-body for a liveing and ive never heard of this and ive done a few front end jeep hits. OH yeah the jeep is totaled and im buying it back!!!

PA-XJ2
I've pulled TJ steering knuckles out of a pile from wrecking yards that totalled over 400 pieces. I had to inspect everyone visually as a viable core. Many of them you could tell were front end wrecks because the steering arm snapped off.

Given the nature of them as cast parts, I'd have to believe they are either good, or broken and very little in between.

If it makes you happy, swap them. Easy job, takes about an hour to do both sides provided nothing is rusted stuck or bent.

·
Registered
327 Posts
they can develop small cracks like anything and they can break like that, but like trkklr77 said how did the tire take the hit/did the axle take a hit

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i put the tire directly in to frozen dirt, but i deiced to not keep the jeep after looking over it again it needs a box and an oil pan as well, the passenger side upper control arm punched a hole in the pan. and i think the frame may have bent.

PA-XJ2

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
like mrblaine said.

with them being cast their either going to be shot, or good. If the knuckle had cracked at all...even a hair line fracture in the wreck it would have snapped off. when cast material goes..it goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts