Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started doing a brake job on my truck and noticed that my knuckle had some play at the lower cap. i figured it wouldnt hurt to rebuild the front axle so i pulled it apart to see if i needed anything else besides the rebuild kit. pulled the knuckle apart and i cant find a reason it would have play. the bearing looks good, race looks okay. the upper race looks damaged but there wasnt any play up there. im going to rebuild the knuckles anyway i just cant find a visible reason for the play. i am kicking myself because i should have torqued the bolts beforehand to see if was just loose. i just figured the bearing was toast. can you guys see anything from the pics that looks out of the ordinary. there are some marks on the inside of the knuckle but could the bearing look okay and still be shot? thanks for your help.

there were 2 shims each top and bottom.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only thing I can see wrong is you have one of those Coca-Cola plastic crates which is illegal, I am going to call the Cola-Police on you... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
679 Posts
that race does look bad. looks like you put it in with a hammer. :shaking: you made sure the pull is around 12-15lb? i seen some that friends bring over with way to many shims and you can wiggle the whole thing with two fingers

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only had the truck for a year so i dont know who did what or how it was done. judging by other decisions made on this thing, hammer sounds about right. looked at inchworm, front range is a little cheaper. trail gear bearings??

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
only had the truck for a year so i dont know who did what or how it was done. judging by other decisions made on this thing, hammer sounds about right. looked at inchworm, front range is a little cheaper. trail gear bearings??
Buy from frontrange. He's a good guy, and supports the industry. Also, check to see if your wheel bearings are still under pre-load. If they lose it, then the hub can walk around on the spindle and feel loose.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm running the trail gear ones and I'm having no problems, I'm not even sure if I shimmed correctly. I'm also running trail gear's wheel bearings, and no problems besides having to snug one of the spindle nuts up after 8 months or so of beating the crap out of them. I may not have tightened them up quite enough originally though.

I would just get the entire trail gear axle rebuild kit, you can get it with wheel bearings too if you need them, it's a killer price and a great company.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Look at the virgin housing.......... never had a broke birf or anything......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts