Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find what I was looking for. Exactly how deep should the knuckles be reamed for tie rod ends. I don't want to bottom out the tie rod end by reaming the hole to large. Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure others would appreciate as well. :beer:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
WTF are you talking about? Knuckles are already reamed to fit up a tie rod.

What knuckles are you running? Dodge ,Chebby?
what tie rods ends do you want to fit?
I guess your talking about a d44?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
biggnome said:
I searched and didn't find what I was looking for. Exactly how deep should the knuckles be reamed for tie rod ends. I don't want to bottom out the tie rod end by reaming the hole to large. Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure others would appreciate as well. :beer:
Get the TRE's you plan to use and keep checking as you ream the knuckle little by little. I do know that the ES 2026R & ES 2027L have a larger "shank" compared to the ES 2234R & ES 2233L. Good Luck.......

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I've got the es2234r and ordered the es2010l. Do I want the seal on the tie rod ends to compress slightly? Or do I want a gap between them and the knuckle when everything is torqued down?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
biggnome said:
ok, I've got the es2234r and ordered the es2010l. Do I want the seal on the tie rod ends to compress slightly? Or do I want a gap between them and the knuckle when everything is torqued down?
I usually ream it just enough for the "cotter" pin to fit through the castle nut. It usually compresses the TRE "boot" just a little....don't wanna smash it....easier to rip

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey Shaker...what do use use to taper the holes for the stud cones. A source for these reamers? :flipoff2: Many thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
speaking of getting reamers, what would i need to ream dana 30 knuckles to use say waggy or cherokee dana 44 TRE's...where do you guys get them...

FYI..I am running scout shafts in a cherokee 44 with cj outers...

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Shaker said:

I usually ream it just enough for the "cotter" pin to fit through the castle nut. It usually compresses the TRE "boot" just a little....don't wanna smash it....easier to rip
Yep, ream it until the cotter pin fits.

DON'T buy the snap-on reamer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts