Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got all the parts for my front disc conversion using mini-truck parts on a 70' front axle. I want to rebuild the knuckle at the same time. Anyone know what kit I use for this? Do I use the kit for the 70' axel, a kit for a later axel, or a combination of parts?

thanks
tom

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get the knuckle rebuild kit for the 79-85 hilux, or pickup. That's what your knuckles are going to be- and everything fits correctly.

That's what I was told- that's what I did- and what would you know- it worked!

Zipp.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. now, any recomendations on the best way to deal with the tie rod end difference? What have you found to be the best solution to the different sizes?

thanks
tom

·
Registered
426 Posts
You'll need front axle seals for the '70 FJs, all other parts should be for the '79 to '85 mini-truck.

I fabricated my own tapered inserts (steel) that fit in the mini-truck knuckle arms.

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
4Cruisers said:

I fabricated my own tapered inserts (steel) that fit in the mini-truck knuckle arms.

Me too. Strip of 0.050" mild steel sheet 0.5" wide. Get the basic shape by forming it around an old TRE. It gets squashed into the final shape when everything is tigtened up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Me too. Strip of 0.050" mild steel sheet 0.5" wide. Get the basic shape by forming it around an old TRE. It gets squashed into the final shape when everything is tigtened up.
Works great. After forming it around the old TRE, I used a Dremel tool and cut-off wheel to trim the excess - allows you to quickly get it to final shape. After inserting it into the tapered hole in the knuckle arm, trim the excess with the cut-off wheel and file flush on both sides.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts