Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
* The Printer *
18,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2010 KOH Course map. The actual course is in red. I have overlaid the Twenty Nine Palms Base Expansion Alternative 6 plan that was introduced a couple of months ago.

The part with the green would be permanently closed, the area that is yellow/brown would be the "join use" area.

My scales may not be perfect but it gives you an idea of the future IF the Marines get their way. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
so...KOH next year would probably just be a few run arounds of Soggy Lake? :laughing: Damn, hope they don't get their hands on it.

·
* The Printer *
18,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
933 Posts
I finally checked off the list one of my "dreams" which was visit johnson valley. That place is beautiful and now that I'm not 3300 miles away I'd love to be able to visit at least once a year. I am all for this country keeping itself safe but what else are they gonna take off of us. We as a group of "recreationists" barely have anywhere to go the way it is. It seems to me that there is plenty of other land out that way they could use instead and just leave us alone. It makes me sad to know that we get it from all angles when it comes to people trying to take us away from what we love to do

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
The Marines use the valley that Spooners and Outerlimits extensively on flight testing. In the course of 45 minutes sitting at the bottom of Spooners the day before KOH I took pics of no less than 15 different sets of Apaches come through there.
I'd post all the pics, but the desert stole my camara bag on the way back to Main Pit from the Bottom of Spooners. I'm beinging to think a covert Marine Sniper unit snagged it from my buggy at 50mph....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The Marines use the valley that Spooners and Outerlimits extensively on flight testing. In the course of 45 minutes sitting at the bottom of Spooners the day before KOH I took pics of no less than 15 different sets of Apaches come through there.
I'd post all the pics, but the desert stole my camara bag on the way back to Main Pit from the Bottom of Spooners. I'm beinging to think a covert Marine Sniper unit snagged it from my buggy at 50mph....
well if its marines i imagine they were Cobras

and speaking of which i got this one flying through even from the start/finish (granted a long zoom)

·
Get Out
248 Posts
I would like to start by saying that I went to KOH this year for the 1st time and it was amazing. I will go back.
I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years and my brother is still in and currently stationed in 29 Palms.
29 Palms is one of the last live fire ranges in America that the MC can do real world training and exercises with live rounds. Unfortunately the MC is just like everyone else, they are running out of land.
At this point in time live fire ranges have to be scheduled about 1 year in advance because they have some many people to train and so few places to do it. I spoke with my brother about the proposal to take this land and make part of it mixed use. Both he and I agree I don't see the military being able to share land with anyone. The last thing you need is some kid finding a mortar round stuck in the ground that didn't go off when it should.
I hope for the sake of our community that they don't touch JV ever. What KOH has done for our sport in it's short 4 years of existence is incredible and I hope it continues.
On the other hand freedom is never free. The live fire training events that take place in 29 Palms are invaluable to our troops and their survivability overseas.
I hope a solution can be found that gets everyone what they need but I wanted to give a different perspective
For a little motivation I included a picture of one of my brother's last field exercises

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
well if its marines i imagine they were Cobras

and speaking of which i got this one flying through even from the start/finish (granted a long zoom)

yeah those are cobras, thats the newest version we make. wait till they stray doing fly overs with the V22. I hope they dont take over, i dont live out there but i would like to make it there once in my life.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
How far is Johnson Valley from Glamis? when I was there last year they where flying night missions about three sets of 4-12 Apaches flew overhead shook the whole damn camper every time too.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I wonder how much money KOH pumped into the local economy this year? My gut feeling is that it was A LOT.
If Johnson Valley were taken away from the public there would likely be hard times ahead for Lucern Valley, Yucca Valley, et. al. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts