Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Did your course maps show the marine base off limits boundary? If not that would be a good item for next year.
They did. I used mine all week. Only issues I had were by outer limits, had to restart my phone once to figure out where I was.
It would be nice to show spectator access roads to different parts of the course and what types of food the different vendors were selling.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I too used my maps several times during the week. I think it would be really cool to be able to overlay this map layer over a Google Earth or similar satellite image. It would help to be able to pick out access roads, land marks, etc. The contour lines do help, but I think satellite imagery would be T-I-T-S.

I have no experience in app development, so this may clutter the app too much, but just a suggestion.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Maps were AWESOME.

I loaded up all 3 maps in Vegas before hitting the lakebed.

Hammertown
EMC / UTV
KOH main map

Worth every penny. Was able to pinpoint our location to ensure we kept off track, and were able to identify cool spots to spectate.

If you got lost or ended up on course, it's because you didn't have these maps.

Ridiculously simple/easy/cheap

Thanks again

Edit: maps showed military line

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Thank you all for your support, business.
Lotsa good input here - we're reading through them and listening.
Imagery would be useful but the file sizes would go up quite a bit. That paired with an already large file size and it would probably create more issues for folks trying to download it on limited signal in the Mojave Desert. We hope to get a JV map out showing all trails and access roads soon so that can be used in concert with course maps (won't be the same map) to get around during race week and make sure you stay OFF the race course.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Very good maps. We used it to prerun and follow the race car. Could have used it with a tablet to race.

We would have liked one or two more zooms though.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thank you all for your support, business.
Lotsa good input here - we're reading through them and listening.
Imagery would be useful but the file sizes would go up quite a bit. That paired with an already large file size and it would probably create more issues for folks trying to download it on limited signal in the Mojave Desert. We hope to get a JV map out showing all trails and access roads soon so that can be used in concert with course maps (won't be the same map) to get around during race week and make sure you stay OFF the race course.
I actually have a couple maps of Hammers (satellite with trails mapped), and the course overlaid on that would have ben perfect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Android, Samsung S4.
For some reason, resolution and zoom rates were different between Android and iOs on the maps this year. We couldn't diagnose the reason behind this other than something within the app itself (3rd party) and therefore out of our control in the time constraint we hand prior to course release. All that being said, there may be a fix in the future but it's gonna take some communications with Avenza. When anybody builds an app for both platforms, they're really building two different apps. They are entirely separate. We'll be working on this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
New App - maps going live at NOON PACIFIC!!!!!

It's that time again!

BUT, things have changed for us a little bit.
You can still go to CartoTracks.com for maps like the last two years but....

We have released an ANDROID BETA CartoTracks app! (iOS coming later)
Unlike the other system, the app allows for in-app purchases and downloads - all right there!
Search the Google Play store for "CartoTracks" and download it!
Free app. KOH maps only in there right now for sale.

Hammertown is now live at both CartoTracks.com and in the new Android app.

COURSE MAPS WILL GO LIVE at noon Pacific 2/1/17
Be prepared.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can you refresh my memory so I don't have to re-read through all of the pages in this thread.....

I want to download the maps to both my iPhone and iPad. Will I need to buy two copies of the file...one for each device? I can't remember if each purchase is a one time use.

The email on both of my devices is synced. After loading the free Hammertown map on my iPad, I opened the same email on my iPhone to copy and paste the URL link, but it comes up as 'access denied'. Did I answer my own question?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Can you refresh my memory so I don't have to re-read through all of the pages in this thread.....

I want to download the maps to both my iPhone and iPad. Will I need to buy two copies of the file...one for each device? I can't remember if each purchase is a one time use.

The email on both of my devices is synced. After loading the free Hammertown map on my iPad, I opened the same email on my iPhone to copy and paste the URL link, but it comes up as 'access denied'. Did I answer my own question?
Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll get you taken care of.
New app (Android) and ultimately iOS as well, will be set up when we go non-BETA in a way that you can always access your maps through your account. In the current system for iOS users where we push out a link you copy and paste - that's set up for one download per purchase except with free maps. So, the first part of that...if you need another download of a purchased map, we can help with that within reason (i.e.- you just need to add it to another one device or you've upgraded a phone and have a new one kind of deal). That can be handled through an e-mail to me (above). The second part you talk about the free Hammertown map not allowing for another download (should be unlimited in our system with the free maps) so I think there's something more going on. All of this will be easier to see with an e-mail from you so I can find your account and take a look.

So, in short, e-mail me - we'll help you out and get you fixed up.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
android beta working great. cant wait for course maps!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Avenza PDF now charges to import a map via URL. I don't know of a free app (IOS) that will allow your free hammertown map anymore

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Avenza PDF now charges to import a map via URL. I don't know of a free app (IOS) that will allow your free hammertown map anymore
If you read what Avenza says closely, it should still allow for up to three downloads using the paste-in-a-link method. There's a $30 upgrade they want to "unlock" that limit. However, you can delete maps out of the app and re-add them with our link. Just contact us ([email protected]) if having a problem adding back in a prior map and we'll bump up your eligible downloads on that map (or maps).

It's a pain. I know. It's a large part of why we're working on a much better simpler solution. Gotta start somewhere so Android BETA for now.

We're with you.

241 - 260 of 296 Posts