Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 296 Posts

·
Wet Trail Wheeler
1,404 Posts
Does anyone know where they are in hammer town?
We would like to see them since one of our party paid for maps but gave the wrong email daddy for the download. We have emailed them for a solution but haven't gotten a response. The error was ours but we would like to resolve it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hasn't it been that way for several years where they tried to restrict people getting out toward 2 and 2A unless they had pit bands? You didn't have something like the CartoTracks map to make it explicit on and maybe with marine base expansion there is even more sensitivity. People still get out there though. You can cover the typical access methods, but you can't cover everything. IIRC you guys had trouble with spectator vehicles which was unfortunate, but overall I don't think this is anything new.
Yeah, nothing new, LOL! It's the honor system and there are always a few who ignore it. The time we were held up, cost us a timed out finish.
I'll tell you what isn't the honor system; the several miles we run inside the Marine Base was nearly lined with armed troops in flak vests and Humvees...that IS Course Control...:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Hey guys,
We're checking in reading through the thread catching up.
Had a busy day today moving around Hammertown making contacts.
Met some great folks, got some great feedback from drivers and spectators alike.

We haven't had a booth or anything set up in Hammertown but will be around the hotdog stand right by the entrance of the big meeting tent tomorrow (Wednesday) from 4-5pm. Come by and see us if you like!

If any of you are having issues, PLEASE e-mail us directly at [email protected] and we'll respond asap.

Thanks!

TurtleTruck (Mark) - thank YOU very much for the support here.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Our lowrance isnt working out in our UTV, so we will be real race testing your app tomorrow. Ill let you know how it works out in a race.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Our lowrance isnt working out in our UTV, so we will be real race testing your app tomorrow. Ill let you know how it works out in a race.
Erik Miller and Loren Healy tried it. It would make a good backup gps, but it updates too slowly for racing, at least that is what Loren told me. It will be interesting to see how it works for you. Good luck today!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
We had a good conversion with Loren today and we are looking into some options for remote mount GPS antennas that should speed up refresh rates. We are getting some really good input from racers.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Erik Miller and Loren Healy tried it. It would make a good backup gps, but it updates too slowly for racing, at least that is what Loren told me. It will be interesting to see how it works for you. Good luck today!
To use it as a turn by turn GPS it updates to slow. We pretty well knew the course from years past and memorizing the map. Where it helped, sometime we would wonder if we missed a turn and could verify yes or no with the phone. Also used it to see how far to a pit or obsticle and to make sure we found the sportsman bypasses. Even with no signal on the back side the GPS worked fine.

Overall its a great backup and would be awesome for trail wheeling. I remember years ago before we raced we would heat across the lakebed with no idea where we were going. This would help a lot.

The issue with the lowrance is we didnt want to take it out of the racecar and rewire in the utv lol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
If you are having issues with finding your location through the app, especially with an iOS device, we are learning that if you close the app, maybe even restart the device, put it in airplane mode, open the app, and hit the locate button, it seems to work. Gotta give it a moment for the GPS to locate you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used it all week. We had it on android phone and tablet. I found that the app sometime says you are off map. Restarting app usally fixed it. Everyone needs to realize that this is a free app and a map that the app uses, it is not a 1200.00 gps.
Great map hope you do it again next year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Used the maps on Thursday and Friday on my iPhone 6 while watching the EMC and Main Race. Worked awesome! We were able to see where we were at all times, we were always confident of where the course was, and we were able to safely watch from multiple locations throughout both days. Hands down it made our spectator experience 1,000 times better than it would have been with a paper map, and much easier and quicker than a gps. Worth the $10 per map, no question!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used your maps all week, they worked great. Used them while pre running with two vehicles and only one gps. Thanks for your effort!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My buddies and I were overall pretty bummed on the app. When it worked it was awesome, but it was rare. Tons of restarts to get it to work and it was about 10% it would work. I know cartotracks.com is not to blame. Just voicing my experience. Pretty much a waste of 20$ for me

·
Registered
204 Posts
My buddies and I were overall pretty bummed on the app. When it worked it was awesome, but it was rare. Tons of restarts to get it to work and it was about 10% it would work. I know cartotracks.com is not to blame. Just voicing my experience. Pretty much a waste of 20$ for me
What kind of phone/device? I had zero problems.

161 - 180 of 296 Posts