Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
It was a good show Ian. It's come along ways since you guys started it. Somedays I roll my eyes... but I realize you can't please ME with every show :laughing: The KOH coverage was well done though :D

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I also enjoyed it.

I was hoping on the Bio part that you would of put together your own blender. I have seen some kits and what not. I feel those high dollar machines are just to out of reach for the normal joe.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Just a couple scoring facts... This is all based on time, not course position.

JR was in 2nd to Randy by the end of AS. And it stayed that way until Jack Hammer when Randy lost steering and went from 1st to 24th.

Shannon went from 43 to 20 by the end of the first desert section, but was still 6:18 behind JR at the beginning of Outer Limits. Little known fact. Shannon got passed one time all day. That was by Dean Bulloch coming out of Big Johnson, when Dean passed him for second with Shannon and crew fixing a flat.

IF JR had not broken, they had it won. JR was only 10 seconds slower than Shannon in the first Desert Section which was only a mile or so shorter than the finishing stretch. Shannon would not have been able to catch him. Dean might have won the whole thing as well...but he lost a rear ring and pinion at the start of OL and finished in 8th in Front Wheel only.

JR finished 20th with no front steering. He lost an orbital on the way back and had no directional control or stability with the front end. He had to rear steer correct back to the finish line.

Carry on :flipoff2:
oh yea well we lost a motor the night before! :flipoff2:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Something I have thought about in reference to Randy versus say, Shannon.....Shannon knew the pace he had to keep with the dust couds and the visual he had of other racers during the event.

Randy was on the pole almost immediatly....how fast should he drive? Talking to him, the pace went up measurably once he saw JR for the first time.

That is cool info on how fast JR was......
What I saw with the front runners, (JR, Campbell, Currie, Bulloch, etc.), was they were not pacing themselves at all. Especially Shannon. He took every opportunity to make time. I was at the bottom of AS, and the front runners were all pretty close.

Yes you have to finish, but if you can get past someone, and then they break in a bad spot, then they guys behind him are hindered and you can haul ass. There were those that drove to save the car, and they finished, but that's not racing to win.

I think '09 is going to be a very different race. I of course know nothing of the route, but I think you're going to see racers getting much more creative and aggressive while on course. There will be as much, or more carnage as a result, but I think you're going to see fewer PS failures, and more durable suspensions.

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Man wish I had a DVR........................I was running the Con so I missed it. Any way we can buy segmants, shows on DVD or download?

And who the hell is the 10Bolt Tim Dork??

KC

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good show! Personally I wish the KOH(not potassium hydroxide) coverage was a little longer, but the bio segment was interesting as well. Keep up the good work and I will continue to watch!

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
You seem to have an issue with facts lol :flipoff2:

You're right, I fully fuked up on that one too huh? :emb::laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Man wish I had a DVR........................I was running the Con so I missed it. Any way we can buy segmants, shows on DVD or download?

And who the hell is the 10Bolt Tim Dork??

KC
I think Ian mentioned somewhere earlier in here that you can buy the episodes on Itunes. :)

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
I need to set the record straight on times.

I finally went back through the data and broke each stage out and sorted the field on time.

The facts:

Shannon took the overall lead by Checkpoint 4
JR did not have the overall lead until Checkpoint 11 (Shannon had a flat just before the checkpoint)
Randy was never in front of JR (on time) at any point of the race.

Brad Lovell was blinding fast on the opening desert section. Opening a 3 minute lead over Shannon. They fell from 1st to 14th on the first rock section and were out before they made it back to Sledge.

I will post full data in the appropriate forum a little later.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

I finally went back through the data and broke each stage out and sorted the field on time.

The facts:

Shannon took the overall lead by Checkpoint 4
JR did not have the overall lead until Checkpoint 11 (Shannon had a flat just before the checkpoint)
Randy was never in front of JR (on time) at any point of the race.

Brad Lovell was blinding fast on the opening desert section. Opening a 3 minute lead over Shannon. They fell from 1st to 14th on the first rock section and were out before they made it back to Sledge.

I will post full data in the appropriate forum a little later.

Thanks for the clarification. I was under a different impression, but then again I wasn't there. It will be cool to see what the standings actually were during the race. :emb:

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to actually attend next year... I promise not to turn into another Lippy Larry...:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just wanted to weigh in on the positive for Extreme 4x4. I don't watch too much TV but caught this show the past few weeks. I've found it worth a break in wrenching each time.

Ian, keep those shows coming.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Thanks, Dave.
The truth doesn't seem to matter much coming from anybody but you for some reason,lol.
Thanks MD. There's a big difference between finishing and not finishing.
I don't want anybody to think I didn't finish as it was a BIG effort to do so with my crippled rig. :laughing:
Dustin, you are one of my favorite people to wheel with so we never had a problem.

BTW, sorry to get off track on this thread. I hate to do that.
Ian, I thought the coverage was great, especially for the time that was allotted for it.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
There's a big difference between finishing and not finishing.
I don't want anybody to think I didn't finish as it was a BIG effort to do so with my crippled rig. :laughing:

When you came across the finish line, it was very obvious that your car was very crippled. You were kinda going sideways, and then took out the banners.:laughing:

I would expect nothing else from a true sportsman.:beer:

121 - 135 of 135 Posts