Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a set of low mile used Krawler's almost 4 years ago, I put them on the truck about 2 years ago, and it's sat in my garage unmoved (Except for rolling it out into the driveway to clean the garage, then right back into the garage)...

I finally got a fire lit under my ass to get the truck back rolling and into drivable condition last week. I filled up the tires (Each one had about 10PSI in it and I took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Granted it doesn't have shocks on it, but there was a horrible hop and at low speeds, and high speeds it was a pretty good Vibe. I stuck my head out of the window, and I could see low spots in the tire as it's rolling. I jacked up the rear end it appears as though all 4 tires have flat spots in them. Now I never drove on these tires before tonight, so I don't know if they were this way to begin with...

If I drive on them and heat them up will the flat spots go away? am I screwed and need a new set of tires... :crybaby2: One of the wheels is leaking air from what looks like rim screw holes (But there are no holes in the tires) so I'm going to have the tires removed from the wheels, and weld up the holes. and get them rebalanced.

Advise?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
you think a tire that's been sitting for 2years is going to be perfectly. round? my iroks flat spot within a month

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
oh yeah are they reds? if so tshey are junk and you should ship them to me

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Mine did the same thing after 7 months sitting, drove it around the block it was like a out of balanced roller coaster!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you think a tire that's been sitting for 2years is going to be perfectly. round? my iroks flat spot within a month

I guess I never really though that radial tires flat spotted.... I knew that Bias tires did...

oh yeah are they reds? if so tshey are junk and you should ship them to me

I'm pretty sure that they are blue label. I didn't think that 35's came in Red. :)

Mine did the same thing after 7 months sitting, drove it around the block it was like a out of balanced roller coaster!
So is that something that will eventually smooth out with a little driving on them? How long did it take yours to roll a little smoother?

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
The tires on my IS300 flat spot after a week (yes, seriously), so I can only imagine how bad yours are after that time and that pressure.

My old 4Runner would flat spot the Toyo's pretty quickly as well.

Both were always fine after about 5 miles, with appropriate pressure in them.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Advice?
Yeah, don't leave your rig sitting on the tires with 10 psi in them for 2 years and then wonder why you have flat spots. That's what jackstands are for. :flipoff2:

Throw some air in them ~30psi and drive around to get the tires warmed up. If it's not driveable, put it up on jackstands until you can drive it around.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The tires on my IS300 flat spot after a week (yes, seriously), so I can only imagine how bad yours are after that time and that pressure.

My old 4Runner would flat spot the Toyo's pretty quickly as well.

Both were always fine after about 5 miles, with appropriate pressure in them.
I drove it around for about 10 minutes (speeds about 20-30mph) tonight, the flat spots are still pretty prevalant. I'll have to get the shocks back on it and get it registered before I do any more than that.

I always thought that Radials didn't flat spot....:homer: Whoops!

Advice?
Yeah, don't leave your rig sitting on the tires with 10 psi in them for 2 years and then wonder why you have flat spots. That's what jackstands are for. :flipoff2:

Throw some air in them ~30psi and drive around to get the tires warmed up. If it's not driveable, put it up on jackstands until you can drive it around.
I never though about it. When I had MTR's they sat around for 9-12 months at a time without having issues. I didn't think that these would have issues... It appears as though I was wrong.:homer: I'm hoping to get some shocks on it this week, and hopefully do an alignment this weekend. Then Insure it and Register it. I'll hopefully be able to drive it around a bit and get the tires nice and warm. If not I'll deffinately put it up on Jackstands.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The Krawlers are built with a nylon cap ply - similar to the Baja T/A and current gen BFG race tires. The nylon adds to the performance of the tires in many ways, such as punture resistance and minimizing "growth" at high speeds. The downside of nylon is it has "memory", for lack of the technical term. The longer they are parked, the colder, etc. the longer it will take to get them to ride smooth again. If you can get them warm on a longer drive, they will be round again. Store long term on jack stands.

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts