Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info on these? A local guy is considering trading for my Scout. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Travis

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
tecate kinda neat but not worth that much around here they are heavy other wise i think they would be great, now if it were a quad that would be a different story

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pretty fast...but not as fast as a ATC250R by honda. I've ridden one with a pipe only, and it handled fine and ripped pretty good, for a ATC. Is it one of the two in that pic? Both look to be in good shape...if so, go for it!
Allan

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. How's the aftermarket? Do they share a lot of parts with the dirtbikes? I'd really like a 350x or 250r but I'm poor. I have a 200x but it doesn't have enough nuts. I blew it up trying to keep up with 250Rs and Banshees on my one trip to the dunes. I'm after something to rip around the AZ desert and make maybe 2 trips a year to Glamis. Good choice or hold out for a Honda? Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally I'd hold out for the R. Better aftermarket, faster, HONDA reliability. I don't believe the motor has that much in common with the KX250, IIRC. But I could be wrong. Get a TRX-R, and you'll love yourself. My bud had one that was stock, and his old man has one with a 310 kit. Those things were sweet, and FAST. He's running a banshee now, now that's speed! So in conclusion: Wait for an R, unless those things are so cherry you'll never find another like it.
Allan

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like what you have there are two 84 or 85 kxt250 tecates. There was very little difference in the two years, one thing being the front brakes. The one on the right looks to be a 85 because of the disk brake, and the one on the left looks to have the 84 drum. I personally do not like the older tecates as much as some other three wheelers, however the 86/87 tecates were awesome, (pic enclosed is my 86) and you could get both of these sell them and then get whatever you wanted. As for being slower than a 250r, I doubt that, as the 84 and 85 tecates were water cooled, I know that stock for stock, a 86 tecate will roast a 250r, as I have owned both machines. Honda's are however a bit more reliable. The tecates suffer from some stator issues, and don't have a counterbalancer so they tend to vibrate parts loose if everything isn't fastened properly. I would sell these two and hunt a 86 tecate, or 86 250r if you wanted a three wheeler, The 250r atcs do have the most aftermarket support, and are plenty fast.and if you want a four wheeler the advice to find a trx250r was good as well, I am a trike/dirtbike nut, but if I was getting a four wheeler it would be the only one I'd consider.

·
Registered
986 Posts
nice bike 81....:eek: i wish i had one of those:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts