Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will a 91 labaron 2.5 Turbo engine mat to a 2W Dakota 2.5/3.9 5spd of the same year? Im trying to put this combo in one of my samurai's IF it will know about how long that combo would be? I cant find a pic of a tranny with the bell housing so Im worried its way long are dakota 2.5/3.9 trannys the same?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It will mate to the 2.5L tranny, but not the 3.9L. The 3.9L has a small block chrysler v8 bolt pattern.

Unfortunately, the fact that it only will bolt to a 2.5L tranny limits you to tranny and drivetrain choice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks only been reserching for an hr or 2. Found out a 03-04 liberty bell and toyota R154 87-92 (supra) will bolt up too

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
No idea if the Lebaron 2.5L turbo is the same bolt pattern aa a Jeep 2.5L but the Dakota seems to share...

The Le Baron 2.5(also 2.2 and all other FWD cars) And early Dakota share a bellhouseing.. the newer Dakota(96 and up IIRC) and Jeeps share a bellhouseing

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The Le Baron 2.5(also 2.2 and all other FWD cars) And early Dakota share a bellhouseing.. the newer Dakota(96 and up IIRC) and Jeeps share a bellhouseing
+1.

To go one further, the Jeep 2.5L bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a GM 60 degree v6. The Chrysler 2.2L/2.5L motors and bellhousing bolt pattern have nothing in common with the Jeep motor.

Also FWIW, there were a few prototype a904 automatic tranny cases that were cast with the 2.2/2.5L bellhousing bolt pattern on them. I have no idea how hard it would be to find one but that may be an option if you really wanted an automatic. Personally, I would just take a ford c4 and build a new bellhousing for that or make an adapter plate for a standard a904 instead.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Humzuki- Did you happen to stumble across Greg55_99's bellhousing swap info? Lots of pics and good info.
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/tech-articles/4740-engine-swap-bellhousings.html

Also, some good info in the Jeep 2.5L to AX-15 swap thread that give you some more options. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361&highlight=2.5L+AX15

No idea if the Lebaron 2.5L turbo is the same bolt pattern aa a Jeep 2.5L but the Dakota seems to share...

Whoa nice! Yea Im thinkin of going with the dakota bell and Supra tranny. If found 94-95 dak bell is the one that bolts up to the Labaron block,,,I also need the throught out bearing, slave cly, and fork from the dakota,,and the 94-99 AX-15 front bearing cover,,then use a 21 spline toyota V6 clutch. Hows that sound?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O yea I found pics of that set up matted together its 31" from bell/block to the end of the tranny :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts