Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have never owned or know alot about Cruisers, so I have a few questions and would appreciate any help. I would like if possible a brief description of the different variations of older models ie bj? fj? etc . I am interested in buying one and would like to get Cruiser owners opinions on which one would be best to buy and why. Thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
fj is america bj is foreign (most are deisels that ive seen)
fj-bj40 2 door removeble top
fj-bj45 p/u and troopie
fj 55 4 door wagon i have never seen a bj one but there may be some
fj-bj60 four door wagon round head lights
fj62 four door like a 60 but 4 square head lights and neat power options like windows and door lock auto and fuel injection

all are very stought and great fun

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
All FJ's came originally equipped with an F engine (up to 74') and a 2F (75' and later). All BJ's came with a B series diesel but I am not super familiar with the years on those so I will leave that up to a deisel pro. As far as differences, they are pretty similar with the exception of the drivetrain. FJ40=BJ40, but there are no FJ70's that I know of and 70 series cruisers are sweet!

Do a search on POR and you will find all kinds of differetn cruiser pictures, 40's 60's, 62's 70's, 80's etc... Good Luck and Welcome to the Cruiser World!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Now when you say America do you mean North America so then it would include Canada as well? Any other info or opinion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Re: Re: Land Cruiser Questions

bfautah said:
All FJ's came originally equipped with an F engine (up to 74') and a 2F (75' and later). All BJ's came with a B series diesel but I am not super familiar with the years on those so I will leave that up to a deisel pro. As far as differences, they are pretty similar with the exception of the drivetrain. FJ40=BJ40, but there are no FJ70's that I know of and 70 series cruisers are sweet!

Kurt, there is a fj70(just like a bj70), it has a 3f motor, one sold(legaly registered in US) in Texas this summer, Wimbly 4x4 had it, came from Thailand I think(years before) think it went for $6-7k. Also you could get a fjz70 as well. But for the most part these arn't Cruisers your gonna run into when out shoping for one in the US

2F till 1987, then 3fe in 88 in the fj62(88-90) and the fj80(91-2), then the bigger(4.5ltr 24valve) Fzj80 1993-97 in US.

Trany's in the US, were 3 speed(on tree or floor) up till 73/74, then 4 speed up till 1987, then auto(w/overdrive) from then on(all US models) The fj25 used a 4 speed but no low range in t-case, just had a low 1st gear.

this all assume the drivetrain is stock.

Disc brakes 1976+

fj45's came in a few flavors, short bed with non removable top, short bed with removable top, long bed with removable top and the 45 wagon with fixed top.

Early fj40's had a coragated(sides) hard top up untill 1965, after that(and most 65) the hard top is the familure style you see on most 40's(they changed a bit over years but not alot)

Some early factory soft tops have a rounded door, not squared off like the typical 40, don't see many of these. Most OEM softtop 40's had a drop down tailgate. Hard top 40's(up thru 74) had a swing up upper gate and the lower portion was two small doors, in 75 it changed to ambulance style doors.

John H

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can honetly say I did not know there were that many variations of Land Cruisers out there. Can someone provide me with the dates of production for the different models? I guess I will start looking for pictures of cruisers to find which ones I like the look of best. I would consider several factors before a purchase. I prefer older ones for ease of working on them. I do not need all fancy stuff. but AC would be nice:). Lockers if available as a stock option would be cool. Prefer a hard top, it does not need to be removable. I like the tcase in the pickups so something along that line would be ok. Availability of parts here in Canada is a must. Not to expensive as I would be willing to work on it to get it road worthy. Thanks everyone for the info and please dont hesitate to add anything. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
fj25, 1957-61 (2 door hard or soft)
fj40, 61-83/4 (2 door hard or soft)
fj45 all 63-67 (truck or 4 door wagon)
fj55, 68-80 (4 door wagon)
FJ60 80(1)-87 (4 door wagon)
FJ62 88-90(4 door wagon)

FJ80 91-2(4 door wagon)
FZJ80 93-97(4 door wagon)
UZJ100 98-current(4 door wagon)
bj70 in canada 84-5(I think) (2 door fixed hard top)
fj45 long bed 63-67 in US, Canada up to 1982(not sure)

not sure on the years of diesels in canada.

more varitaion in other parts of the world.

great place with LOTS of pic........
http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/images/index.html

I have a 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, 80....

John H

·
Registered
426 Posts
in canada your options will be simpler:

most pre 1976 trucks don't exist, rare 45 wagon (corrugated doors, quarters) and a few 40's- all gas.

1975 is birth of ENS industrial and the mine supply.
you get (from normal dealers as well)
FJ40's to 1979/80 -gas, I have seen more 1978's-2dr remove top
BJ40's 1979/8 -uses B diesel, kinda dud engine
FJ45's to 1980- mostly sold to US by now-drum brake front ends
BJ42's 1981-1984- 3B (4cyl) diesel, better, later had 5 speed 2dr remove top
BJ70's 1985 (12v) '86/7 (24v)-3B diesel (5 bearing cam), better ride 2drHT
BJ60's 1981-1985 (12v) slug wagon (3B), '85's had a/c option
HJ60's 1985-1987 (24v) starts in -20C, 6 cylinder diesel
BJ75's 1985-1989-mainly mine, some had 3B's or 3BII's pickup remove top
PZJ75's 1990-1992 5 cylinder diesel- DO NOT BUY
HZJ75's 1992-1998-6cylinder diesel (12v) pick up, top comes off
HZJ79's 1998- present (not sold public-really) fixed top

BJ70's are a good commuter, but many are old and worn. Big market now is FRP top Japanese BJ73 or BJ74 (3B or turbo 3B)- 6" more wb, and top comes off. RHD and a/c, but legal it is a walk in (about 2 dozen people are buying them in the next few months). 15 year rule applies to imports.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
One more addendum to Rick D's post:

Canada also got the FJ62, a slightly more civilized version of the 60 with a fuel injected 3FE engine, auto tranny and some "upgrades" like power windows and locks. 1987-1990, Canada-spec nearly identical to US-spec except for some cooling system and and minor trim variations.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Land Cruiser Questions

Landpimp said:
[Kurt, there is a fj70(just like a bj70), it has a 3f motor, one sold(legaly registered in US) in Texas this summer, Wimbly 4x4 had it, came from Thailand I think(years before) think it went for $6-7k. Also you could get a fjz70 as well. But for the most part these arn't Cruisers your gonna run into when out shoping for one in the US [/B]
I was familiar with the availability outside the US of these models but never in the US/Canada... Do you have any pics. of that FJ70? Anyone know who got it?

·
Registered
678 Posts
What about the 43? Wasn't there a bj43 that was slightly longer wheelbase than the 40? Thought I'd seen somewhere that these were available in countries like Tanzania and Kenya, maybe a few others :eek: :flipoff2: :D ... is that possible?

·
Registered
426 Posts
http://buysell.com/showad.asp?id=21411388

a 1986 BJ75...

Mike-
43's from 1960-1980 (then became 46's).

mid wheel base (96"), available in wagon 1960-1961/2 and soft top/hard top from beginning to end. No candian delivery, only 46's I have seen are RHD.

but if we want history, FJ42 2wd late 1960's-1972 and FJ26 2wd early 2wd, etc etc. There are one hundred varients but really the guy asked what's in canada.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That BJ75 was built by Kodiak up in BC and it's been floating around for sale on several ocassions since 2001/2.

The mid-wheelbase *J43/46 might well be one of the BEST production 4x4's ever made, too bad that we didn't get those in the US, Canada or Venezuela. Europe did get them throughout production and if you don't mind going the gray market route, can still be found in pretty decent condition in the south of France.

·
Registered
1 Posts
60seriesguy said:
One more addendum to Rick D's post:

Canada also got the FJ62, a slightly more civilized version of the 60 with a fuel injected 3FE engine, auto tranny and some "upgrades" like power windows and locks. 1987-1990, Canada-spec nearly identical to US-spec except for some cooling system and and minor trim variations.
hey I dunno if this helps but I gota pic of one

http://tufftoys.net/matthew/fj73-zookrun1.jpg

this is what the FJ/BJ73 and FJ/BJ74's look like down here in australia.

thats my ugly green one :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Land Cruiser Questions

bfautah said:

I was familiar with the availability outside the US of these models but never in the US/Canada...

yeah it's not something we got.

Do you have any pics. of that FJ70? Anyone know who got it?
Nope, I heard about it from TR at ARB in Seattle, called Danel at Wimbly and he gave me the scoop on it, I called Pat Takash(who was looking for something different) By the time Pat called somone had picked it up, gather the new owners just happen to see it for sale(and knew little about Cruisers, but it looked neat) Should still be in Texas someplace. Wasn't a bad price and came with a bunch on new spare parts, in good shape, 100k on it i recall. It was Danel's own rig(or one of)

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
rick d said:
BJ70's are a good commuter, but many are old and worn. Big market now is FRP top Japanese BJ73 or BJ74 (3B or turbo 3B)- 6" more wb, and top comes off. RHD and a/c, but legal it is a walk in (about 2 dozen people are buying them in the next few months). 15 year rule applies to imports.
Rick, 15 year imort rule, is that in Canada? US is 25 year...right?

I would like to hear more about a 73/4, here or offline.

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
rick d said:
[B
but if we want history, FJ42 2wd late 1960's-1972 and FJ26 2wd early 2wd, etc etc. There are one hundred varients but really the guy asked what's in canada. [/B]
There was a 2 wheel drive only Land Cruiser? whats that the Japanese Postal Cruiser ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi again all. Thanks for all the info(never realized the extent of the Cruisers). Yes much appreciated and if anybody else has an opinion or suggestion please fell free to add imput. I dont understand 15 year rule and all? I live in Ontario and in some parts of the province their is air control but nothere where i live. I had a Toy diesel 2wd pu with a 1L engine so another diesel would be nice as well. Thanks

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
60seriesguy said:

The mid-wheelbase *J43/46 might well be one of the BEST production 4x4's ever made, too bad that we didn't get those in the US, Canada or Venezuela. Europe did get them throughout production and if you don't mind going the gray market route, can still be found in pretty decent condition in the south of France.
The wheelbase is longer, but the rear overhang is longer, too, by 200mm or so, which is not-so-cool IMHO

oh and decent condition = $$$

On a side note, the B engine is great offroad, just not a lot of power... ;-)
The stock 3B is not really better, apart from the fact it is more suitable for a turbo (bigger crank & conrods, piston oil cooling)...

Bye,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts