Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any cases of where land has been purposely changed to make a trail harder for wheeling by either a government or such like organization? I don’t mean to stop people from wheeling either but to make obstacles in places where perhaps there wasn’t before.

I know man made courses have been made from scratch in arenas and maybe the odd rock has been placed or moved but I’m looking for like large scale operations where someone has taken a piece of land either flatish or just boring to wheel on land and transformed it into a great wheeling spot (on purpose)

I know lot of work has gone into stopping erosion and making some trail much more treadlightly but I can’t recall ever hearing of anyone engineering a trail from the ground up.

I'm actually a Forest Engineer and am thinking about perhaps starting a project like this up here in canada. I want to prove that it can be done, profit could be made off it, and in fact enivormental the land would be better off.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I dont know if this is what you are looking for or not but the staff at Paragon Adventure Park in PA are constantly changing the terrain there. Through trail maintenence and some equipment they have made some unreal obstacles and trails to wheel on. www.paragonap.com

Talk to Kyle or Stephanie.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
i thought long and hard about this very thing, see, in south texas, there is pretty much nothing but flat land and it's cheap, but a little further north in central texas, there is some badass rocky terrain, it's just too damned expensive, so, spend the same and do it my way- or, go with the flow of the environment? by the time it's done, it will have cost the same, but you may be less likely to be hindered by environmental regulations if building it from flat land. thisis some serious engineering though. i mean, i can't even imagine how many boulders, medium sized rocks, rocks and pebbles one would have to bring in to make it look natural and make the environment act naturally, like controlling erosion, water run-off, pooling, etc. also a LOT of dirt moving, like building creek-beds and hills, gullies, etc.

all in all, it's got to end up to seem real in order to work, environmentally and just to look right. it needs to seem as though a glacier deposited the rocks tens of thousands of years ago, the forest grew up around them, the creeks cut through it and now wheelers found it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts