Votes: 53 93.0%
  • Disco

Votes: 4 7.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into a Land Cruiser with a straight six, a 80 series, or Land Rover Discovery, looked at 96 to 98 year models. Now buying a used four wheel drive can be a real pain but the goal is for a overlanding rig that's going to do double duty as my wife's daily driver I need reliability. Also if it matters the reason I picked these seem to be cheap and fairly plentiful both boast seating for up to seven with two kids now and not knowing if we will have more in the future I figure who not. Factory solid axles can't beat that and luxury interior with off road pedigrees. So PBB what's your experience with these two used models?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I see loads of late model rovers in the junkyards around here if that means anything.

My vote is land cruiser.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I would think Cruiser, Disco's seem to be a love or hate type of deal. I'm sure they are ok if you get a good one, but I know that the fuel economy is terrible. I don't know what kind of mileage the Cruisers get, but it has to be better than a V8 Disco.
Travis..

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm a LR guy but you're not exactly comparing apples to apples...
I'd suggest the LC80 is you have the chance, better axles, bigger engine.

Yet, the Discovery is a nice vehicle and assuming you're in the US you're free to modify as much as you want, then it's a good platform for a serious overlanding vehicle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a LR guy but you're not exactly comparing apples to apples...
I'd suggest the LC80 is you have the chance, better axles, bigger engine.

Yet, the Discovery is a nice vehicle and assuming you're in the US you're free to modify as much as you want, then it's a good platform for a serious overlanding vehicle.
Yes I'm in the US the be more specific the South Eastern US. Is it true that LR uses cork gaskets? I have previously driven a FJ40 years ago as my first four wheel drive and had a relationship with a woman who drove a FJ80 liked the 80 more than her in the end....:shaking:
I have read that the Rovers are hit or miss on Edmunds making me think that LR has some questionable quality control issues.:confused:

So far it seels everything points to the FJ80

·
Registered
227 Posts
i was cross shopping LC80s and 3rd gen 4runners against Discos, and I ended up with a 96 Disco. I picked up a near mint, lowish miles, one-owner all dealer maintained truck for less than half the price of a beat 200k LC80 or 3rd gen runner.

Whats better about the D1? Well, I think it's more comfortable and way more refined on the inside with better quality materials, etc. I also like having something that isn't super popular on the roads.. I get more questions about my stock D1 than I did both of my built XJs and I've only had this thing for 6 months. My 96 is a pre-GEMS truck (OBDI, dizzy and coil, not coil-on-pack w a computer controlled ignition) and is a bit simpler than the newer ones. The D1s also have stronger axles than the newer trucks (full float rear) and the LT230 is a beast of a tcase. After driving both LC80s and my D1, the D1 feels like it has more grunt. I got 18-19 mpg highway driving to Rausch last weekend. I think Rover people sell the trucks short, saying they're delicate, blow head gaskets every day and whatever.

The LC will be more reliable, easier to get parts for, etc. But a beat to shit LC is no better than a well-maintained Rover IMHO. Someone on ExPo said it best, they said yotas are great appliances, they work and they work well. but thats also how they feel to me, like an appliance. the disco has a soul, and it seems to be a good one (to me at least) so far.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
i was cross shopping LC80s and 3rd gen 4runners against Discos, and I ended up with a 96 Disco. I picked up a near mint, lowish miles, one-owner all dealer maintained truck for less than half the price of a beat 200k LC80 or 3rd gen runner.

Whats better about the D1? Well, I think it's more comfortable and way more refined on the inside with better quality materials, etc. I also like having something that isn't super popular on the roads.. I get more questions about my stock D1 than I did both of my built XJs and I've only had this thing for 6 months. My 96 is a pre-GEMS truck (OBDI, dizzy and coil, not coil-on-pack w a computer controlled ignition) and is a bit simpler than the newer ones. The D1s also have stronger axles than the newer trucks (full float rear) and the LT230 is a beast of a tcase. After driving both LC80s and my D1, the D1 feels like it has more grunt. I got 18-19 mpg highway driving to Rausch last weekend. I think Rover people sell the trucks short, saying they're delicate, blow head gaskets every day and whatever.

The LC will be more reliable, easier to get parts for, etc. But a beat to shit LC is no better than a well-maintained Rover IMHO. Someone on ExPo said it best, they said yotas are great appliances, they work and they work well. but thats also how they feel to me, like an appliance. the disco has a soul, and it seems to be a good one (to me at least) so far.
There was aFJZ80 on here for $2000 last week. So you bought a D1 for $1k?

I owned a D1. Your mileage claim is bs. Pretty much everything you said is bs. And Kia makes the Soul, not LR :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My oldest kid was on foot without a rig and he picked up a 1992 LR something or the other for $600. The wiring was a disaster and he fixed a bunch of stuff and got it to start and got the windows up. It was just basic transportation after his divorce, very few miles per day. Popped a head gasket, I bought him the parts and he had a machine shop do a visual inspection and checked the head for warpage...none found, he's a good wrench for an optician and drove it for another year. Popped another head gasket and off it went to the scrap yard, he got his original $600 back...so I guess they hold their value. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
There was aFJZ80 on here for $2000 last week. So you bought a D1 for $1k?

I owned a D1. Your mileage claim is bs. Pretty much everything you said is bs. And Kia makes the Soul, not LR :flipoff2:
pretty much nothing thats 4wd and a yota badge on it around me for less than $4k if it runs and drives. i paid 2 grand, which wasnt an amazing deal but wasnt a ripoff for the condition its in.

i just didnt want to be a jeep kid anymore :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Being a current owner of several Rovers...I'll tell you the FJ80 is a better vehicle...the Rovers have their charm and design benefits, but for over landing I'll take the FJ80

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Rovers are poorly built, and when (not if) they break it's super expensive. Lucky if you can get a Yota around my parts, as no one wants to part with them. However, I do know of one for sale nearby for about a grand. Needs a HG. Body is solid, straight, and clean though. Plus, it does run. Has the I6 in it.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
These two vehicles are at as opposite ends of the reliability spectrum as you can get. They both get shit fuel mileage though, which is about the cruiser's only negative mark.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
These two vehicles are at as opposite ends of the reliability spectrum as you can get. They both get shit fuel mileage though, which is about the cruiser's only negative mark.
Not the only mark. The other, is that the 2F (don't quote me, but believe that is the code for the I6), is kind of gutless. Generally reliable as hell though.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Do you want to drive, or do you want to turn wrenches ?
I have enough friends around me driving Land Rovers of all sorts, they're constantly working on those piles and break down on a regular basis. The friends with the Toyotas are always complaining because they always have to wait for them fixing their LR's:homer:

There's an old saying here in Europe:
"3 overlanders meet on the ferry from Africa to Italy, a Mercedes G-Wagon driver, a Land Rover driver and a guy with a Land Cruiser
The Mercedes guy tells them which Mercedes dealers he visited to fix the squeeking of his glovebox cover.
The Land Rover driver tells them which parts he had to change and how many times he broke down, while the Toyota guy laughs and just tells them where he has been and what he has seen of the country"

·
Registered
634 Posts
Truth is, at least IMHO, Land Rover owners are continously wrenching on their trucks because they're never bored to improve or modify, often without a real need.

MB and Toyota are sure reliable, until something breaks or needs to be replaced (and it happens). Then go comparing prices for spares, and let us know.

Is it true that LR uses cork gaskets?
Not sure of what gasket you mean, but the head gasket is metallic.
Mine is Tdi, which was never available in US though, not sure about the V8 petrol.

I have friends who are avid overlanders and their idea of a holiday is a 2 weeks trip across Algeria or Tunisya or another sandy place in Africa.
They've been driving LR for years and never got stuck, but came across a few stranded Toyotas :flipoff2:

I'd suggest you the 80 for practical reasons.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Not the only mark. The other, is that the 2F (don't quote me, but believe that is the code for the I6), is kind of gutless. Generally reliable as hell though.
The early 80 series, 1990-1992, had the 3f-e engine. The later models have the 1fz-fe which, while having more power and torque, are prone to blowing head gaskets. Both are damn good engines, but thirsty.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I've had 3 80 series. They're fantastic vehicles but all 3 needed head gaskets at one time in their lives either before, during, or after I owned them.

My best friend has a 91 and it's far easier to work on and has no HG issues. It's slow and thirsty but that will be my next 80 if I go that route again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've never encountered any Toy part, that ever cost more than a LR part.
Because you're in OH, USA :D

In EU Toyota parts don't come cheap apparently, while there's plenty of aftermarket choice for LRs to save a few pennies.
Anyway my experience is limited to Rovers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts