Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference in the knuckles?

I'm considering crossover steering on a 1987 Chevrolet v20 with a corporate 10-bolt axle. I'm partial toward stock GM parts, so I'd rather replace both knuckles with flat-top d44 knuckles, rather than buy a single aftermarket knuckle.

I found a sale listing for "big hub dana 44 flat-top knuckles" for a good price. I can't find any clear explanation of differences between small and big hubs, as it relates to fitting my 10-bolt axle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
76 and earlier(I believe) 3/4 ton ford and Chevy both had gigantic external hubs vs the normal internal design. IIRC the knuckles are the same but the hub/rotor/spindle/bearings and stub axles are different.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
76 and earlier(I believe) 3/4 ton ford and Chevy both had gigantic external hubs vs the normal internal design. IIRC the knuckles are the same but the hub/rotor/spindle/bearings and stub axles are different.
So you'd say that "big hub" or "small hub" doesn't apply at all in my situation? Any flat-top d44 knuckle will work for me?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So you'd say that "big hub" or "small hub" doesn't apply at all in my situation? Any flat-top d44 knuckle will work for me?
GM uses 6 bolt spindles ford use 5 bolts. Don't hold me to it but I think all flat top GM knuckles should be the same.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As long as you swap all of your parts (backing plates,spindle,hubs,rotors etc) you will be fine. The nice thing with the 10 bolt vs 44 is the amount of lego build combinations you can put them together with. As long as your spindle and bearings are matched your good,small bearing and large bearing spindles can be used with any year hub as long as you use correct bearings and races.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Generally, GM Dana 44/10 Bolt knuckles are interchangeable. Keep in mind, some are tie rod UP, while others are tie rod DOWN. If you take all of your stuff, from you knuckles out, it will bolt on other GM 6 bolt knuckles. Ford did make a flat top on at least the early F250s, maybe others. Ford knuckles use 5 spindle bolts.

To keep life simple, look into this:
It's new. Not doubt straight. Already machined.

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
1 Posts
ive always noticed that the big bearing 44's are also external spline hubs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts