Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the largest tires I can run on my 79 bronco with 9" rear (31 spline mosher shafts) and stock 44 front? I have 8" lift. The truck is used for mud and light trail running, nothing too hardcore! I'm thinking about getting lockrights front and rear because they're cheap and if the axles grenade I can upgrade to 10.25/14bolt/60/70/rockwell or whatever I need. How long would 40's last with this stock setup? Where can I get rockwells cheap? Thanks for any ideas or advice!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The largest size tire you can run depends on how much flex you have in your suspension setup check with you buddies & see if someone has some tires similar to the sizes you are looking at flex up your suspension & compare how much bigger those tires are in real life (not sidewall sizes) to the amount of space you have left in the fenderwells also check clearance at full turn are you going to rub the radius arm? the offset of your wheels also plays in the game. more offset the wider tire with less scrubbing. judging by just the lift you can fit 38- 40's of nominal width w/o prob as to wear depends on how much street driving you do. & what tire you get softer rubber ie boggers will last a very short time but harder like BFG MT's should last you 30k before they are completely bald. if you have lockers or welded you will wear them faster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not concerned about clearance as much as the drivetrain holding up! I have some Bushwacker cutout fender flares that could easily clear 44's with my current lift, I'm just curious how big i can go on the factory axles.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
40" will grenade the stock front shafts/u-joints. Go Warn Alloys and CTM's. this will allow the front to hold up. the rear should be ok unless you install a detroit and go crazy with the skinny pedal.

Eric

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ran 35's on mine and beat the hell out of it, jumped it, mud, light rocks and its still in tact but i wouldnt go much more than a 38 or probably best would be like a 36. The rocks are were your gonna hurt the front end the rear is fine, its just the front outers or joints will let go

·
Registered
51 Posts
FYI i break front shafts with 33's with the front end UNlocked on my fullsize... its all about how hard you wheel it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the replies! How much do warn shafts and CTM's cost? IF they're too much, I will look into some rockwells, I know where I can find some for DIRT CHEAP of I needed!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
CTM's alone are $180 a piece. Warn's are in the neighborhood of $300 a set. (I am guessing here)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts