Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Larsson's Willys/Volvo Felt build from Sweden

Hello

My name is Marcus I'm 27 years old and I'm from Sweden.
This is my first offroad build :)

Excuse my english :p

I have always wanted to have a Willy, but i didn't want to "kill" a healthy car so when i found some parts for sale I got the idea to build it on some other frame:)

So this is what I came up with, The frame and axels from a Volvo Felt a car used by the Swedish army in the 60's. They were many models off the cars for different assignments.
My car a -65 started the life as a fullbody. Looking something like this:

It has the Volvo B18 engine a manual M40 gearbox and dana 44 axels.

This is the frame I'm building on the body is stripped off. The engine has been replaced with a Volvo B23a and the manual gearbox is history. Now it's a BW55 automatic :) It stands on the orginal Felt 34,5" wheels.
(The tractor in the background Volvo BM650 is also from the Swedish army :) )

It has been lifted about 4" :smokin:

So this is the start off my build :)

/Marcus

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some bodyparts :D

The grill is new but the fender and hood is original parts :)

Maybe someone here could help me figure out which year my tub is from ?
It have been streetched by a previus owner.

The floor have been replaced and is flat due a have a flat frame.

The X marks were it have been stretched about 8" I'm going to shorten it to make it look original again.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Cool. I love seeing different stuff from different places.

The tubs looks like it was CJ2A tub, not the ? I don't think its a CJ3A since it has the slot above the steering column for the column shifter rod.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
cool!

You MAY want to think about keeping the stretch, or part of it anyway. sitting in a stock length flat fender is difficult without pushing the seat back and cutting into the fender well. 4" stretch might be perfect seating distance. I think that's about how far my seat sits now, about 4" farther back (just guessing, I don't know for sure)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't know what your wheelbase is currently, but I'd consider leaving the body long and 'channeling' or raising the middle portion of the floor ~4" so the tub can sit down over the frame (so that the 'bed' would sit on the frame and you would have minimal gaps under the front inner fenders). I think it would look a lot better this way. With the long tub, you could put the seats directly on the (raised) floor and not be too cramped I would imagine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The tubs looks like it was CJ2A tub, not the ? I don't think its a CJ3A since it has the slot above the steering column for the column shifter rod.
Ok :) I'm looking for a war grill for it :D

cool!

You MAY want to think about keeping the stretch, or part of it anyway. sitting in a stock length flat fender is difficult without pushing the seat back and cutting into the fender well. 4" stretch might be perfect seating distance. I think that's about how far my seat sits now, about 4" farther back (just guessing, I don't know for sure)
I might keep a little of the streetch, but it's going to be shorter I don't like how it looks now :)

Nice!

I bow to your ingenuity :)
Shame those aren't portal axles as from a Laplander, still interesting though.
Are they lockable as well? I think not...?
Yeah I was looking at som portals but my budget didn't allow it :p

I don't know what your wheelbase is currently, but I'd consider leaving the body long and 'channeling' or raising the middle portion of the floor ~4" so the tub can sit down over the frame (so that the 'bed' would sit on the frame and you would have minimal gaps under the front inner fenders). I think it would look a lot better this way. With the long tub, you could put the seats directly on the (raised) floor and not be too cramped I would imagine.

The wheelbase of the Felt is 82 inches and I belive that the wheelbase of a willys is between 75 and 80 inches. If I would lower the tub so the gap under the fenders would be smaller. The frame and gearbox would be right were i will have my feet :( The drawback with a straight frame, but it will look good in the end whit some big tires to fill out the wells :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is the AW71 gearbox that I was about to use but it was so long so I changed it for the BW55.

The adapter so that the automatic would fit together with the transfer box.

Power steering from a Volvo 164

The BW55

About to remove the transfer box

The transfer box :)

The engine and the old gearbox is going to be removed soon

·
Premium Member
21,631 Posts

Those look like factory notched wheel wells, wouldn't that mean 3A? Guess it could be a 3A back and 2A front...I've seen weirder things done.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Those look like factory notched wheel wells, wouldn't that mean 3A? Guess it could be a 3A back and 2A front...I've seen weirder things done.
I think they both had kinda the same shape on the front of the wheel tub.

2A has steeper angles. The 1st part off the step is shorter than the 2nd part that connects to the top.

3A is more laid back. The 1st part off the step is longer than the 2nd part that connects to the top.

The top of the wheel tub on the 3A ends up slightly shorter and it allows the seat to be slightly further back.

·
Premium Member
21,631 Posts
I think they both had kinda the same shape on the front of the wheel tub.

2A has steeper angles. The 1st part off the step is shorter than the 2nd part that connects to the top.

3A is more laid back. The 1st part off the step is longer than the 2nd part that connects to the top.

The top of the wheel tub on the 3A ends up slightly shorter and it allows the seat to be slightly further back.
It's been so long since I've seen a stock one the memory has gotten hazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This frame looks solid and strong, we had many of them years back here in iceland, what are your engine plans, keep the volvo or put v6 or v8 in it, those red block volvos engines are the best ever build, I got one driven 220.000 miles. (350000km) and no oil burn. Ilike your project, keep posting. og venlig hylse.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This frame looks solid and strong, we had many of them years back here in iceland, what are your engine plans, keep the volvo or put v6 or v8 in it, those red block volvos engines are the best ever build, I got one driven 220.000 miles. (350000km) and no oil burn. Ilike your project, keep posting. og venlig hylse.

I'm glad that you like the project :)
Yeah it's a very strong frame and this one is in very good condition.
I have replaced the original B18 engine (64hp) with a B23a (112hp).

Some more pictures.
I have started to disassemble the transfer box

A little further in the disassembly. Looking through all the gears and bearings so everything is in good condition.

Some parts that's going to be cleaned and painted

Clean and ready for paint

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
That transfer case looks VERY similar to the dana 18 found in your typical flat fender. Any idea what the gear ratios are in the transfer case?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That transfer case looks VERY similar to the dana 18 found in your typical flat fender. Any idea what the gear ratios are in the transfer case?
The ratios is 1,36:1 High and 3,25:1 Low :)

Some more parts to clean

Some clean parts :)

Redy for paint

Some fresh paint can do so much :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bought an other one :smokin:

Just needed the window frame but the price was good :grinpimp:
And it's always good to have spares.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
The ratios is 1,36:1 High and 3,25:1 Low :)
That is pretty neat. Other than the input gear configuration it looks pretty similar to the original Dana 18 used in a flat fender.

There are a lot of people that would LOVE to have that gearing range. The underdrive high range is really interesting along with the lower low range.

Is the transfer case set up for a twin stick shifter? I don't see why you couldn't modify it for a separate low-hi and in-out for the front drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is pretty neat. Other than the input gear configuration it looks pretty similar to the original Dana 18 used in a flat fender.

There are a lot of people that would LOVE to have that gearing range. The underdrive high range is really interesting along with the lower low range.

Is the transfer case set up for a twin stick shifter? I don't see why you couldn't modify it for a separate low-hi and in-out for the front drive.
This gearing range is on the military version off the Felt the newer civilian version Volvo C202 has High 1:1 and Low 2.39

It's originally set up for one stick but I have modified it for twin stick :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Cleaning some more parts :)

Driveshaft

Redy for some paint :D

Checking some fitment

Cutting out the corner on the window frame, I'm going to weld in a bar in the middle later to give it the old split window look :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The transfer box got the first layer of paint

And a second layer :)

Sandblasted the e-brake, going to make some changes on it before i paint it

One of my other cars getting some love :D

1 - 20 of 107 Posts