Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Willys Fan
787 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics of your fun in the woods! Your bead lock design look great on your buddy’s C2020! Sounds like they are working great too! Those tall C202, C303, and Felt rigs are really a hoot. Playing in the woods they look like primordial mechanical Wooly Mammoths from the ice ages. Pulling Erik’s out of that ice/mud hole and dealing with the busted steering must have been a challenge!
The bead locks for your rig are looking great. Superb work!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Those vans look scary once they are on a side slope!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
They look like they are going to fall over all the time :LOL: but the low center of gravity really helps to hold them on there feet. Erik moved the centers of his rims 40mm (1,6") from last time we were out to get a lower ET and that helped a lot with stability to. It felt much more stable this time.
He wasn't very happy when he got out of the mudhole after 1,5 hours and realized that he probably shattered a cv so the front wheel were stuck :confused: But breaking stuff is part of the hobby :sneaky:

Some more photos from last time.
Robert's C303 going down a slope

This time it was close to falling over, but he held it

And som extra action shots of Erik's C202

Been out in the garage and got rid of this masterpiece from some old owner...

Making new mounts and added som adjustment holes

New mounts on the axel

I have followed your advice and tested articulation at stuff and droop

The frame is lifting on the bumpstop

The shock puched to minimum so i have 5cm (2") travel left

Pushed down to the max, probably never going to get this far with six more leafs in

The shock at max and I have 4.5cm (1,8") left so this should be good

·
Willys Fan
787 Posts
Fun additional pics of those big boxes on wheels! They are a real kick! A guy I worked with in the 80’s had a big 70’s Chevy van he converted to 4x4 that looked similar- but I think the CG was much higher! More of a big foot mall crawler but pretty cool in it’s time.

Nice progress on your rig! Looks like your shock placement is shaping up well! Try articulating them side to side too. Mieser pointed that out to me on my build and I knew the stuffed side would rise a little further, but I was surprised by how much higher it went at the wheel. I plan the lower mount a little further out towards the wheel, so that was good to account for on mine. Your lower mount is right next to the spring though so may not be a travel issue on the stuff side, but the articulated droop side swings inward and your shock body might hit the frame rail or frame side shock mount - so nice to check.

Excellent work on your spring perches! They look really nice and the adjustability is a great idea. Those prior owner perched were a disaster- yikes! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Sounds like it was a cool rig :D Erik is a fan of boxy 4x4's he is also building a VW LT30 4x4 overlander.

Good point, I made some tests with one side at full droope and the other stuffed and it looked like this:

Shock mounts just clamped with quickclamps

I ended up shorten them a bit more for extra travel and centred them

Same test but welded now

About 3/4" of space at full droop on one side and stuffe on the other

Welded the pitmanarm

I have also finished my highsteer, started by chaning the angle so the uniball would start at a better angle

Made some more changes

All welded

Done :D

Then it was of to the tierod and draglink
Started by turning down some M20x1.5 bolts

Made some holes for plug welding

Fully welded

Now I just have to test if I need to put some bends in the draglink

·
Willys Fan
787 Posts
Nice progress! Your clearances look great on the shocks. Very creative work on your steering set up. Related to that- I sure like the behind the grill / forward pitman arm positioning of the steering box you're using. Very clean. Might be a challenge with a V engine I suppose, but a nice clean package with your 4.
I'm really enjoying seeing the components you are working with and how you are adapting them. Great combinations for a flat fender, with lots of ingenuity on your part to make it all work! Thanks for all your posts!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I think the shock setup will work good, just waiting on the new shocks now. I'm really pleased with how the steering setup turned out, and it's 2,5 turns lock to lock.
Now on to the hydro assist :D

I started by welding a M20 nut to the axel housing and made some spacers for the ram.
Alot of pictures and not so much text today.

Then I made a sleve for the tierod

And welded a cut of M20 bolt. Might redo this later, I'm not fully pleased with how this turnedout. time will tell :)

Then I made a rugged mount for the ram

Fully welded, made out of 50x8mm (2x5/16")

Ready for welding

Fully welded, should hold up

121 - 127 of 127 Posts