Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did search thru the threads but didn't really get this info I might need. Will 86-95 manual hubs work on my 85 4 runner with manual hubs? I thought I read that you caould use the newer model hubs for the older models but not vice versa?Right?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
NO. They won't work, the spline count is different.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a hub from a toy solid axel pick up for sale if you are interested? email me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I don't think the spline count is different. I have heard many people say this. If it is true then someone please explain why I have lockout hubs from an 83 Toy on my still IFS 92 4Runner. And yes they work. The only difference I have found is the coller thickness. On a solid axle it is about 3/16 thicker then the IFS. If you grind them down and re-chamfer the edges they will work.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
I don't know what the count is but the ifs should have less spline than the solid axle something like 30 for the solid and 26 for the ifs

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
OffroadRunner said:
please explain why I have lockout hubs from an 83 Toy on my still IFS 92 4Runner.
'Cuz you're a dumbass!

:D
Just kidding, LOL.

The slightly smaller IFS axle shaft diameter must offer enough slop to allow the 30 spline solid axle hub to slide over the 26 spline axle.

I sure wouldn't put much load on those babies, you'd destroy both the shafts and the hubs in one spin.

·
Registered
429 Posts
my 94 ifs is 26 or 27spline.

the 85 sfa i have sitting on my bench is either 30 or 31. (i dont feel like going outside to count)

the SFA locking hub also looks to be a bit shorter than the ifs ones, but this is merely a guess based on pics ive seen online.

i suspect you can use the inner splined part off an IFS truck and just run the SFA body, cap, outer splined slider, spring, etc.

is this what you did?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Ok, as I have said like 5 times in the last week(ok, maybe last 2 but it sure the fawk feels like it)

The iner portion of the hub is different(snap ring location is different by 1/8") and the spline count is also different......

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
The inner spline count is different. The snap ring that goes on the end of the axle shaft is different. The body is different. Everything else is the same. The 83 toy hub splines will not mate up to Toyota IFS splines.

Offroad runner, How do you know those hubs are from an 83?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Tacoma's are different, but as for 86-95, I don't know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No, it will NOT work.... for your 86 Toy ,you need to buy Warn's Hub part number #28761....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
OffroadRunner said:
I don't think the spline count is different.
Well, I know for sure that they ARE different. Crash and Drew know their stuff. Check the Warn hub application guide, the IFS trucks are 26-spline, solid axles are 30-spline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts