Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks Adam and Tribe4x4 for the wonderfull chassis. Adam is a top notch guy and has been great to work with. His new shop is full and likely reflects both his exceptional skills and great customer service.

I have fantasies of the whole ultra 4 go fast thing and fantasize to some racing but mainly just want to have a fun project that goes fast. i wheel in the sierras above fresno. the trails can be long and i would love to traverse them faster. will be nice to take this buggy to Pismo which is just a couple hours in the other direction

Anyway the IFS front end is the tricky part and so far I have:
-custom cvs from rcv to use as the outers.
-I have 934 rcv cvs to go on the dutchman 9" at the inner of the a-arms.
-i have all spidertrax parts for the outer sides of the a-arms: hats, 450 unit bearings, builder cup, brakes.
-I anticipate ballistic can make me a pair of spindles that use all my parts. they are crunching it now
-a pair of New 2.5 triple bypass kings. carrier king coils to follow
-lots of Kartec hardware

Motor is new an ls3 "hotcam" with matching harness. 480hp

New atlas 3.0. not divorced.

still need a rear axle

a local fab shop will build her once all the parts are here. (unlimited Fab) Only exception is the front end-i would like to tackle that-but cant untill i have the spindle-(go ballistic go)

so far i have nothing to post but a pile of parts. I feel a little premature even posting. My reason for posting is to get some help. i figure if I post some pics ill get more help. Before i can mock this thing up proper I need to hang the motor/tcase/tranny. But before i can do that i need the tranny. im held up here. I dont know much about autos. i am reading all i can here on pirate searches but am a little stumped. i wanted tci to build me one but after several emails i feel i know more than tci.

here is where i need help:
I believe i want the following for my Th400:
-4wd case with an advance adapter to my atlas II tcase (vs a 2wd case and advance's adapter)
-built to handle 600 hp all day long
-reverse full manual VB-i want to hit reverse fast and hard and want solid shifts
-compression braking
-A selectable lock up in 3rd gear (can i have this?)
-2200 rpmish stall converter

does this sound about right? would ati transmission be a good way to go? http://www.atiracing.com/ I have called around my area and I cant seem to find someone within an hour to build my tranny

help appreciated. im one hell of a web wheeler so fire away

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This is gonna be good.....

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Are you changing the front of the chassis or is that it? You're already losing 4-5" of valuable control arm length if you're building off of what is already there.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you changing the front of the chassis or is that it? You're already losing 4-5" of valuable control arm length if you're building off of what is already there.
yep the front is going to be altered in the front just a bit at the bottom tubes. Adam left the front of the chassis only tacked so it could be easily altered. the subchassis (where tcase is sitting under the seats) will also be extended forward to the IFS assembly.

And the dutchman chunk is right off their websight. i ordered the 35sp stubs. dual bearings. took them 2 months to get it to me.

How about the tranny questions fellas

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Talk to Steve Culhane for a transmission. All he does is race trannies and he's built several for guys in our sport. I noticed a big difference from my last trans to the one he built. Much tighter...also attributed to the best 500 bucks I ever spent... tcs torque converter.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk to Steve Culhane for a transmission. All he does is race trannies and he's built several for guys in our sport. I noticed a big difference from my last trans to the one he built. Much tighter...also attributed to the best 500 bucks I ever spent... tcs torque converter.
i emailed him and he said so reverse VB with his shop. i just emailed him again. i guess i could do without the reverse VB

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
From my experience racing you really do not want the reverse VB because it puts 2nd and 3rd really low by the seats and the jump from 2nd or 3rd back to reverse longer than a standard VB.

Just my opinion, sweet chassis by the way I really like the lines!

Geoff

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
i am stoked to see the this chassis being built. it really is a sweet set of tube work.

good luck with the build.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Not that I know much, but his reputation is stellar and his client list is pretty much the best of the best in desert racing. If he says no MVB I'm sure he has a reason. I have one of his transmissions in my rig with a standard manual valve body, several upgrades, and i'm very happy.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with steve culhane. he is a great guy. he will build my tranny. have it in 2 weeks

he shared some interesting stuff.

im going with an 11" torque converter with 2500rpm stall. he want me to send him a dyno sheet before he finalizes the converter. cool

talked me out of 2.75 1st gear. said they dont hold up as well in the desert. he even has the gear sets in stock and talked me out of it

also talked me out of a lock up in 3rd. said it will break too easy for rock racing

Its rare when a builder tells you not to spend your money. tranny issue solved. check

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aw hell Dusty, gotta stop by.....maybe all those boxes in your garage will get put to use now.

I'll give you a call in the next day or so and stop by.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aw hell Dusty, gotta stop by.....maybe all those boxes in your garage will get put to use now.

I'll give you a call in the next day or so and stop by.
Cool, you can sit in the seats with me and make loud vroom vroom noices. ill even let you drive.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok next question

i want to be able to move the drivetrain around with as little hassle as possible. will also need to test different bracket accessories and possibly make some brackets and i dont want to do all that on the heavy new motor. i called summit to get one of those plastic engines to use for mock up. they dont have a mock block for an ls3 or ls2. they do sell an ls1 long block however. I cant find a plastic ls3 mock up block on the web. Can i use the ls1 mock block for an ls3? summit cant answer

i have googled for 45 min and I still dont know the answer for certain to the following:

1. do the ls1 and ls3 engines have the same motor mounts and head bolt patterns for accessories?

2. do the ls1 and ls3 engines have the same accessory brackets in general?

1 - 20 of 625 Posts