Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at upgrading my 30 spline rear D60. Breaking axle shafts with the 37's and I'm heading to 42's. I'm considering a late model powerwagon AAM 10.5 with the e-locker.

Anyone used one of these in a swap. 4.56 gears will work well for me. How durable is the locker? How does the axle compare to other options to upgrade from the 60?

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
There's a guy local to me that has a power wagon on 40 ltbs and he beats the piss out of it and seems to hold up. They seem to be $$$ to find.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you're already invested in your D60 (gears, possibly locker, or especially link/coil brackets and stuff) then it might be easier/cheaper to just upgrade it to 35 spline.

Bore the spindles, change to a 35 spline locker (or change side gears, depending on what you have), and add shafts.

That all depends on how cheap you could get the AAM axle for, of course.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not far enough into the D60 to be too committed and I need to go a couple of inches wider to clear the 42's.

I know they are not cheap. By the time I drop a couple of grand into gears, new locker, axle shafts, disc brakes, etc. picking up one of these seems like an OK deal. I don't see many people using them though and it makes me wonder why?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The diff does hang down a bunch, and I'm not sure how well it lends itself to being shaved or anything.

Other than being huge and heavy, I don't see any reason not to use one, if the 4.56's work for you. (replacement gear sets are SPENDY)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The diff does hang down a bunch, and I'm not sure how well it lends itself to being shaved or anything.

Other than being huge and heavy, I don't see any reason not to use one, if the 4.56's work for you. (replacement gear sets are SPENDY)
...and the matching front axle is turdalicious. At least the one in my '04, non-Power Wagon setup is.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Good luck finding parts for it. I had problems with both lockers front and rear not engaging in my '05 PowerWagon, luckily it was covered under warranty, because it would have cost me a bundle of benjamins $$$, and I had to wait on parts, and that's with the stealership ordering it on high priority.

The 10.5AAM in the PowerWagon is not the same as the venerable 14BFF, it's a little different and doesn't have the 3rd pinion bearing support.

I'd keep the 60, upgrade to 35 spline, or get a 14BFF, there's a lot more aftermarket support for the D60/14BFF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts