Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 321 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I did something similar, Jack...they aren't pretty, but easy to remove and will keep me out of a ticket. Thanks for the input!

·
16,230 Posts
As I sit here, I have the Quadatrac 2008 "holiday" catalog in front of me.

On the cover, there is a jeep wheeling in the snow (no longer legit in Eldo Jan-Mar) and guess what it has in the back of it???

A CHRISTMAS TREE!! :eek:

(only a few will get that one)

Officer Marcus was cool to us and at least talked to us at the MIT info station the other weekend.

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
Fair enough, sorry about the blah, blah, blah thing, if that is what you found disrespectful. I should have used "etc."
Sorry about that. I think I'm getting as frustrated as everyone else with all this. All good between us I hope. :)

By the way - I'm a dummy, I think I'm wrong. I just called the CHP and a sheriff. Got the same answers from both. They read the code and could not tell me about any inch requirement from ground. In OR, a cop specifically told me my flaps didn't reach low enough. Other states also have this law. For some reason, CA does not.

So it appears that a mud flap that's 14.5" wide and only 4" long is ok to cover a 44" tire that's 14.5" wide. ?? Doesn't make sense but according to the law - it would be legit. I think I'll try it out and see if I get a ticket...

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Remember, the guy with the gun WRITES the ticket, but the guy in the robe gets to JUDGE it. If you're gonna go to the effort of making mudflaps, give it an honest effort, because if the judge thinks you're thumbing your nose at him, that can end poorly, as well.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
There are going to be 2 "plate" bolts added to the cross bar so I can move the plate to the flap mount. So that will fix that blocking problem.
Ok, but remember that the plate has to have a light :evil:

·
Registered
9,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Drive during the day and you do not need one. If you do have one it needs to be functional even in the daytime.

Go figure.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Sorry about that. I think I'm getting as frustrated as everyone else with all this. All good between us I hope. :).
Accepted, I'll shake on it the next time we meet.

As far as how low do they need to be, I believe from what I've read it is center of the wheel. I went longer just to be safe:)
Part of this discussion...there is no law that defines size or length of flaps for non-commercial vehicles, but whatever you put on MUST "afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle". So putting a mud flap on that is only an inch or a few inches long, yet covers the tread width will probably get you a ticket. Jack, your approach certainly looks and sems reasonable to me. I hope Ken will see it that way.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Back in the day (when I used to drive my junk on pavement) I would get tickets left and right even with big ol mud flaps hangin off the back, completely covering the rear of my tires and literally draggin' on the ground. The next day, I'd go to the police station and have the ticket signed off in the exact condition I received the ticket in the first place. :laughing:

·
5,729 Posts
Back in the day (when I used to drive my junk on pavement) I would get tickets left and right even with big ol mud flaps hangin off the back, completely covering the rear of my tires and literally draggin' on the ground. The next day, I'd go to the police station and have the ticket signed off in the exact condition I received the ticket in the first place. :laughing:
Eric says your junk was exceptionally obnoxious "back in the day". I remember the night I met you....at Pillsbury. I heard this "noise" coming down the road, and Eric said " you think it sounds obnoxious, wait til' you see it":laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Other Way

I tried to read all of this. And understand. I apologize if this is construed as not contributing. But I have wheeled the Rube since 01, and have a simple, self-indulgent question. Does the enforcement at hand extend to the Wentworth access point ?? I am within a smog check, some fees :) and some new lenses of DOT on pavement legality regardless. Thanks and good luck to all.

·
Banned
159 Posts
here is what we did for mine. Reciever mount easy to remove. Flaps are 18 x 24. I have an extra flap that is 24 x 36 if anyone wants to buy it.
[URL="
[/URL]
That is the solution I was looking for! Way bettr then welding badoings to my bumper. I like the fact that they wil come off that easy and I just happen to have a unused chunk of reciever stock I couldn't seem to toss but couldn't seem to figure out what to do with. Maybe a nice pink color and a little sticky saying something flipant.:grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I tried to read all of this. And understand. I apologize if this is construed as not contributing. But I have wheeled the Rube since 01, and have a simple, self-indulgent question. Does the enforcement at hand extend to the Wentworth access point ?? I am within a smog check, some fees :) and some new lenses of DOT on pavement legality regardless. Thanks and good luck to all.
Yup, seen this on Wentworth Springs Road at least as far down as Uncle Tom's and at the WWS campground. get it fixed, I guess :)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
someone must be fighting his tickets. i was turning in some paperwork at the placerville courthouse today and saw him standing in the lobby.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a friend that just had his ticket Thrown out of court..
Case Dismissed.... :D I think the judge is getting tired of these cheesy fix-it citations. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just want to join in the fun. Not sure if it's the same LEO cuz I forget his name on the ticket but a group of fullsizes with me we're going wheeling and heading up georgetown rd. Passed a leo and radio back to let everyone know. The group had about 10 rigs driving up and I was in the lead with two behind me. He jumped behind our pack of three so we pulled over and as he walked up our second half of the group was able to pass by.

Awarded three: No mud flaps, missing plates (front plate), and out of date insurance (need to print new). All resolvable and didn't ruin the day.

161 - 180 of 321 Posts