Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my fj80 hi pinion . I am kinda disapointed to see it has a carrier similar to a 4cyl . I am sure I have heard they use a V6 type carrier . Every V6 carrier I have seen is a split case 4 pinion design . The hi pinion has a 2 pinion carrier . My plan was to use a V6 ez locker in the factory 4 pinion carrier now it looks like I'll be using a spool . The hi pinion carrier uses V6 carrier dimensions correct ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
yes it is the v6 dimensions. the important part is that it has thicker webbing that prevents flex which helps keep from breaking ring gears. why would you go the expense of puttin a hp in front and put in a ez locker ? seems like a waste of time and money. spool up front with a hp is about as bomb proof as your gonna get in a toy front

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cause I have an ez locker lying around . But I will step up to the plate and get a spool .Now I am trying to devise a scheme for the axleshafts . Scince the birfield knuckles are larger , I am more tempted to do a birfield eliminator using larger joints possibly than whats avilable for the mini axles . Problem with the fj80 axle is that they are are full time drive unit = wore out shiat . The bells on the birfs are worn as well as the splines are nearly chattered off , I would blame a portion of this on the spindle bushings being worn . Too bad they put drive flanges on them from the factory .

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
so you are using the whole fj80 axle? cool.

get ahold of bobby long and see if he will build you a set of his birfields for it. i would think that would be a very stout setup. if you have not been following his mods on mini birfs they hold up well to 38 tiress and lots of abuse.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Benny I'm not interested in selling the locker , I always seem to kick myself in the ass for selling parts like this

Camo I have thought about having Bobby mod my birfs however I am concerned with the splines on the stub shaft as they are very worn and used replacments are not cheap and hard to come by . Newfields are a possibility but I do not want to buy new birfs only to have them modded , this would seem to defeat the purpose as the splines would be the weekest part , rendering an expensive joint usless should the splines fail . Perhaps if Bobby can retreat the stub , but I doubt this would be possible , I'm sure the shafts and bell are treated with different processes. If I do keep the current shafts I will have Bobby treat them . It is a shame no companies have stepped up to the plate and made a strong reliable alloy birfield joint as a new part , they seemed to be concerned only with Dana axles . My plan is to finish parting out my runner , using the proceeds to finance SAS on my tacoma.:p using the fj-80 axle . Once I get farther into the plan I will contact Bobby and see what he can do for me

·
Registered
248 Posts
camo said:
so you are using the whole fj80 axle? cool.

get ahold of bobby long and see if he will build you a set of his birfields for it. i would think that would be a very stout setup. if you have not been following his mods on mini birfs they hold up well to 38 tiress and lots of abuse.
Yep Bobby does FJ80 birfs.. I have mine and and so far they are all good.. Even held up through a frame bending crash :D

Once I get the truck back I'll probably send the axle shafts down to him too...

Get going on the Swap Daveyclimber.. There are sill too few of us running the FJ80 front axle...!!!

Later

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know Bobby does the 80 series birfs , I am just concerned about him not being able to heat treat the stub shaft also . I would guess the shaft and the bell are treated differently. Once again I am concerned about the stub shaft splines twisting off , rendering an expensive joint usless

·
Registered
986 Posts
Daveyclimber said:
Yeah I know Bobby does the 80 series birfs , I am just concerned about him not being able to heat treat the stub shaft also . I would guess the shaft and the bell are treated differently. Once again I am concerned about the stub shaft splines twisting off , rendering an expensive joint usless

sounds like you need some new stub shafts before you bother to buy longs like you said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts